Leaking Four Winns

BrentW18

Recruit
Not to take over this thread, but I have a question....

Hi everyone, I have a 1994 Four Winns 258 Vista... I have developed a look and cannot for the life of me figure it out. It is coming into the hull quickly... changed boots, nothing yet... (transom is not rotten) Any input would be awesome! Thank you.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard: I moved your post to it's own topic in the general area. Mention which OMC drive you have. You said you changed "boots," but on a '94 I'm thinking you mean bellows. Correct?

Have you looked for the leak while the boat is in the water?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard

being a 1994, the transom can be soft. unless you had taken core samples and moisture readings, you can not rule out this probability.

as 'kogs mentioned, put the boat in the water, arm yourself with your cell phone camera and a really good flash-light........... and get in the bilge and look

the cell phone camera will get into areas your head doesnt fit.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am also a fan of cell phones looking down there but if you want to really get in there and look around, get one of these. I bought one and use it for all sorts of things.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is your boat a saltwater boat by chance? If so, take a close look at where the exhaust comes in and splits to the two exhaust manifolds.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Lots to check out. Most common would be as already mentioned and steering pin. Anything below the water line too.