Yar Craft 1781

phatspeed7x

Cadet
I was scrolling though Facebook market place this last week, and found a guy selling a 1989 Yar Craft 1781 SC with a 55HP Suzuki 2 stroke, and trailer. Boat is in really good shape. Motor was rebuilt 3 years ago, and has about 20 hrs on it. Trailer had new hubs installed, but could use a fresh coat of paint (rusty). I checked Nada and low retail for the boat alone is $1750 which was his asking price. Since it's still the middle of winter up here in Northern MN I offered him $1400 for it. He said he could do that. Boat includes a small fish finder, and a electric bow mounted trolling motor which work. Just needs fresh batteries for the boat.

The boat look just like this one... minus the big Merc on the back...

https://www.rivercityboats.com/inventory/1990-yarcraft-1781-sc-bismarck-nd-58501-10105410i

Anyone have any experience with Yar Craft?

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Under powered and I bet the trolling motor is bad. Not to be negative but just saying a 1989 trolling motor is either shot or ready to fail. Hope you check the under deck for rot.

phatspeed7x

Cadet
Under powered and I bet the trolling motor is bad. Not to be negative but just saying a 1989 trolling motor is either shot or ready to fail. Hope you check the under deck for rot.

I have a newer trolling motor I can change over, so not a big deal. The deck is like new. Transom is good. Being it's only a 55hp I'm guessing it hasn't been stressed like if it had been equipped with a much larger motor.

I'll find out next weekend when I go an see it in person. No money has been exchanged yet, and I'm not commited to purchase if it turns out not to be what the guy claimed.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Its a 30yr old boat.... condition condition condition

Be very careful that its not a new deck laid over an old soft deck. Happens frequently, esp on sub 5K boats....

and believe nothing the seller tells you about any of it: boat, motor and trailer.
Unless its proven accurate by what you hear, see and feel....

Unless immaculately cared for, a "sound" transom is also suspect........