Plywood question

Ian9365

Recruit
Hi, my fishing dinghy has painted plywood seat bases some of which need replacing. The boat will be used in salt water and normally I wouldn't consider anything but a good quality marine plywood. However the original plywood is 21 mm and I just cannot find that in marine ply, 18 mm and then 25 mm yes but because of the way its fitted I need to get it as close to original as possible. I can find 21 mm Birch Ply, would this be Ok if it was painted in a 2 pack epoxy paint.

alldodge

Staff member
I see no issue with using Birch ply. I don't use marine grade when replacing a transom because its all sealed back up with glass. Your using epoxy should not be an issue

matt167

Captain
As long as the glue is exterior rated, then there would be no issue.

fishrdan

Admiral
Birch isn't very rot resistant, but if you seal it up well, including all screw penetrations, and I don't see an issue with birch. You just need to keep water from getting into it. If it's a fine ply "baltic birch" it will be pretty darn rigid.

Be aware, 21MM epoxy sealed plywood will be more than 21mm. So if it's a tight fit at 21MM, the sealed ply may not fit.

Bondo

Staff member
Hi, my fishing dinghy has painted plywood seat bases some of which need replacing. The boat will be used in salt water and normally I wouldn't consider anything but a good quality marine plywood. However the original plywood is 21 mm and I just cannot find that in marine ply, 18 mm and then 25 mm yes but because of the way its fitted I need to get it as close to original as possible. I can find 21 mm Birch Ply, would this be Ok if it was painted in a 2 pack epoxy paint.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,....... 18mm coated with glass, 'n resin will end up pretty close to the 21mm ya need,.....

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I use Advantec for all my restorations Few coats of spar and good for your lifetine