2001 Smoker Craft 186 Bow rider

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I'm looking at upgrading from a '94 Bayliner capri 18' with a 120 force OB. I came across a 2001 Smoker Craft 186 bowrider with a 4.3L Mercruiser alpha one drive. Who knows about Smoker Craft bow riders? I always thought they were only makers of fishing boats. This one by the way is very clean but I'm looking for some insight about their quality etc.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Smoker Craft has been around for a long time and they make pretty decent boats. As for the quality of their bow riders vs other manufacturers in the same price point, I would consider them equal. remember, most of the stuff that goes into a boat like pedestal seats, instruments, pumps, etc are provided by other suppliers who are the same folks that provide equipment for other builders. The hull is made by Smoker Craft (or it's conglomerate) using very common construction techniques. I would not be concerned about it. Research it's prior history as best you can and remember that a lower end boat taken well care of is generally a better investment than a higher end boat that has had the snot beat out of it. Marine engines are engines. Again, research it's history as best you can. By all means water test it.