Sea ox 20’ cuddly cabin. How are these boats??

adm1476

Petty Officer 1st Class
I looking into buying a 1981 Sea ox cuddly cabin. New to this brand of boat and looking for opinions on hull, ride, problems to look for? This boat has a solid transom with an outboard bracket on it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its a 40 year old boat

dont assume the transom is solid, you need a survey. the problem is most surveyors wont touch old boats or inexpensive boats

with any fiberglass boat over 15 years old, its all about condition.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I looking into buying a 1981 Sea ox cuddly cabin. New to this brand of boat and looking for opinions on hull, ride, problems to look for? This boat has a solid transom with an outboard bracket on it.

What kind of money are they asking? Do you have pics to share? Worth a 1000 words, at least. It's said don't look a gift horse in the mouth, for a 1981 boat look closely, very very closely.

A quick Google took me to this. I really like the looks and layout of that model, if it's the same. Perfect for us on the Great Lakes.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=1981+sea+ox+cuddy+cabin&qpvt=1981+sea+ox+cuddy+cabin&FORM=IGRE

adm1476

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I took a good look. It seems awesome! Way better than I expected actually. They want $2000 just for the boat no engine or trailer. But I have both already anyway. Transom and hull seem solid as a rock. I think it is sturdier than my 2000 hydra sport was. Lol it has a nice hard top on it too. With curtains.

matt167

Captain
That is pretty steep money for a 20' 39 year old Glass boat with nothing. Check the transom and floor/ stringers very well. You can't check a transom for flex as easy without a motor

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
So I took a good look. It seems awesome! Way better than I expected actually. They want $2000 just for the boat no engine or trailer. But I have both already anyway. Transom and hull seem solid as a rock. I think it is sturdier than my 2000 hydra sport was. Lol it has a nice hard top on it too. With curtains.
Good price if it’s in 1/2 decent shape.

The hardtop and curtains alone are worth the price

roffey

Commander
I think it best to approach the boat as if it has all the issues a 40 year old boat would have. it is very possible this boat could be in pristine condition and is a great deal. We can't tell condition form a description or 2000 miles away, Carnac died with Johnny Carson, lol. I also think a servery for a $2000 boat is not be worth it. The op said he has a trailer and motor so he is good to go. Having said that, no motor or trailer you may want to see if you can get the price down as most buyers will not have that and end up walking away and looking for a complete rig, you have the upper hand. Offer a grand and give him your number. I bet he calls you to take the boat off his hands.

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
If it is what you said you saw without an engine or trailer I might up a grand to $1200.00, if not I would walk. That's a lot of boat for the owner to part out then cut up and send it to landfill. Around here landfill would charge up to $1000.00 for that much glass, plus it has to be cut up into pieces, strip it from all metals then it all has to fit in a scrap bin. Then they want to know why all these abandon scows stripped of all ID end up in ditches out here in the country.

adm1476

Petty Officer 1st Class

adm1476

Petty Officer 1st Class
The boat is a a donation center near my house. They just got it 2 days ago. I have no idea if these boats ever cam with a solid transom and an engine bracket from the factory. But it has one. And the transom seems solid as a rock. I opened all the deck hatches I could and everything seems solid. Even the fuel tank looks new and clean and empty inside. I will try to get pics tomorrow.

matt167

Captain
Donation center might be a red flag. A Sea OX probably did not come with an engine bracket/ POD but they did come with OMC Seadrives ( same concept ). Donation means it was worth more as a tax write off or someone couldn't sell it for some reason

adm1476

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got pics! Hope I can post them. Boat is rock solid. Guy that owned it was super wealthy, and took excellent care of it. I could hardly even find any stress cracks. All my photos are too big. Don’t know how to make them smaller.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Got pics! Hope I can post them. Boat is rock solid. Guy that owned it was super wealthy, and took excellent care of it. I could hardly even find any stress cracks. All my photos are too big. Don’t know how to make them smaller.

read the photo tutorial in the rules and guidelines forum

adm1476

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here is one resizing the rest

Attachments

• photo324727.jpg
    photo324727.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 0

adm1476

Petty Officer 1st Class
Her are the rest of the pics. Needs a good clean.

Attachments

• photo324728.jpg
    photo324728.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo324729.jpg
    photo324729.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo324730.jpg
    photo324730.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo324731.jpg
    photo324731.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo324732.jpg
    photo324732.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo324733.jpg
    photo324733.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 0

matt167

Captain
That boat isn't solid most likely. With the debris and sun fading the fact it was stripped and de rigged says that it had a bit wrong with it and was 'disposed of'. That shows pretty obvious neglect but it did have some nice stuff at one point. Sea Ox was a Grady White copy and are decent boats, but I would not spend more than $1,000 on that, and I put $1k into reasoning because that motor bracket would cost $1k to replace

See the thing with boat angel or other donation center is, you can take a boat that is junk, and might not even have title to, and 'donate' it, and claim it on taxes, but you can only claim so much.. That donation center will sell it for whatever they can get, regardless of it's worth or actual condition.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Wow!!! really nice!!! Hope it works out well for you and its the best 2k you ever spent!!
Charlie