Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sea ox 20’ cuddly cabin. How are these boats??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea ox 20’ cuddly cabin. How are these boats??

I looking into buying a 1981 Sea ox cuddly cabin. New to this brand of boat and looking for opinions on hull, ride, problems to look for? This boat has a solid transom with an outboard bracket on it.

its a 40 year old boat

dont assume the transom is solid, you need a survey. the problem is most surveyors wont touch old boats or inexpensive boats

with any fiberglass boat over 15 years old, its all about condition.
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Cant be too bad...built down the road from mine...lol
      http://www.sea-ox.com/index.php?rout...ory&path=33_59

Comment

Good quality boats.Even with that being said you still have to check it out thoroughly

Comment

Originally posted by adm1476 View Post
          I looking into buying a 1981 Sea ox cuddly cabin. New to this brand of boat and looking for opinions on hull, ride, problems to look for? This boat has a solid transom with an outboard bracket on it.
          What kind of money are they asking? Do you have pics to share? Worth a 1000 words, at least. It's said don't look a gift horse in the mouth, for a 1981 boat look closely, very very closely.

A quick Google took me to this. I really like the looks and layout of that model, if it's the same. Perfect for us on the Great Lakes.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...abin&FORM=IGRE
          Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

So I took a good look. It seems awesome! Way better than I expected actually. They want $2000 just for the boat no engine or trailer. But I have both already anyway. Transom and hull seem solid as a rock. I think it is sturdier than my 2000 hydra sport was. Lol it has a nice hard top on it too. With curtains.

Comment

That is pretty steep money for a 20' 39 year old Glass boat with nothing. Check the transom and floor/ stringers very well. You can't check a transom for flex as easy without a motor
              1961 Custom Craft Sea Ray- 1964 Mercury 650. In family since new.

Comment

Originally posted by adm1476 View Post
                So I took a good look. It seems awesome! Way better than I expected actually. They want $2000 just for the boat no engine or trailer. But I have both already anyway. Transom and hull seem solid as a rock. I think it is sturdier than my 2000 hydra sport was. Lol it has a nice hard top on it too. With curtains.
                Good price if it’s in 1/2 decent shape.

The hardtop and curtains alone are worth the price

Comment

I think it best to approach the boat as if it has all the issues a 40 year old boat would have. it is very possible this boat could be in pristine condition and is a great deal. We can't tell condition form a description or 2000 miles away, Carnac died with Johnny Carson, lol. I also think a servery for a $2000 boat is not be worth it. The op said he has a trailer and motor so he is good to go. Having said that, no motor or trailer you may want to see if you can get the price down as most buyers will not have that and end up walking away and looking for a complete rig, you have the upper hand. Offer a grand and give him your number. I bet he calls you to take the boat off his hands.
                  Last edited by roffey; January 25th, 2020, 06:38 PM.
                  198LE Stingray 4.3 TKS

Comment

If it is what you said you saw without an engine or trailer I might up a grand to $1200.00, if not I would walk. That's a lot of boat for the owner to part out then cut up and send it to landfill. Around here landfill would charge up to $1000.00 for that much glass, plus it has to be cut up into pieces, strip it from all metals then it all has to fit in a scrap bin. Then they want to know why all these abandon scows stripped of all ID end up in ditches out here in the country.
                    Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

Comment

The boat is a a donation center near my house. They just got it 2 days ago. I have no idea if these boats ever cam with a solid transom and an engine bracket from the factory. But it has one. And the transom seems solid as a rock. I opened all the deck hatches I could and everything seems solid. Even the fuel tank looks new and clean and empty inside. I will try to get pics tomorrow.

Comment

Donation center might be a red flag. A Sea OX probably did not come with an engine bracket/ POD but they did come with OMC Seadrives ( same concept ). Donation means it was worth more as a tax write off or someone couldn't sell it for some reason
                          1961 Custom Craft Sea Ray- 1964 Mercury 650. In family since new.

Comment

Well good luck with all that. Hope you got lucky

Comment

Got pics! Hope I can post them. Boat is rock solid. Guy that owned it was super wealthy, and took excellent care of it. I could hardly even find any stress cracks. All my photos are too big. Don’t know how to make them smaller.

Comment

Working...
                              X