Trailering Cover Search

hslobo

Seaman Apprentice
I’m buying a 2008 Tahoe 215 deck boat and need a good cover for trailering. Never bought a cover before, can anyone recommend a good reputable vendor to go through to find this?? Appreciate any input.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Click on SHOP above. Iboats carries from name brands.

You're here in the iBoats forum, so it must be a reputable vendor.

ahicks

Captain
An over the counter cover for use while trailering is a bad plan in my book. Actually, trailering with any cover can get REAL expensive, as they very often shred themselves to bits at xway speeds. You may get away with it once or twice, but a cover run at speed will nearly always suffer an early death no matter what the seller tells you.....

hslobo

Seaman Apprentice
Ahicks, I have little choice, I’m buying it in WV and have to tow it back to central PA

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Why do you need a cover? Afraid it will get wet or some snow?

ahicks

Captain
Wondering the same thing?
"Why do you need a cover? Afraid it will get wet or some snow?"

Heavy salt might make a mess, but that can be cleaned up. You can also pick your weather. If you do end up in the salt, make sure you stop at a quarter car wash before parking it and blast that trailer down well with particular attention to the axle area. It's likely to suffer more damage than the boat will.....

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Pulled my 23' Larson Hampton from north of Atlanta, GA to Minneapolis, MN without a cover after I bought it. Just as clean when I got it home as when I left.

Road salt won't hurt the boat, it will be harder on the trailer as already mentioned. But if you can clean/wash it right away when you get home no big deal.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I towed my boats from Wisconsin to Florida.

for the Sea Ray, I spent $300 to have it shrink wrapped for transit

on the return trip to WI, I just left the cockpit cover on....... mistake....... it shreaded

for towing my Rogue down, no cover, however I did fold the seats down and have the Hellion sitting in the cockpit.

most covers on boats being towed at highway speeds turn into a parachute for a period of time, then come loose and beat the hull up with the snaps while they shred

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I sewed my own custom trailer-able cover. I now never use it. Better to tow with no cover in my opinion.

I also have a snap in cockpit cover that I also made myself. Has extra snaps on the leading edge so it can't come off. I stopped using it too.

briangcc

Commander
I'm the opposite - always, and I do mean always, tow with a cover on it. I bought one here through Iboats made out of Sunbrella - paid for it too. Custom fit for my specific boat model - think it was a Carver cover but don't hold me to it. Fits nice and snug. I use all of the strap points to hold it down during travel and I trailer about 4-5 hours during family vacation. Boat serves as extra storage for "stuff" during the trip.

All of my boats have had travel covers. I've only lost (1) since 1999 and it was a generic, one size fits most. I don't recommend going that route.

My advice, get one that's made with patterns for your specific boat model and use ALL straps to hold it down.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I trailered with a cover a couple times. I spent some much time stopping to readjust straps, making sure it wasn't abrading the gel coat, etc., I decided it was more trouble than it's worth. I've towed many thousands of miles now, and I don't use a cover. It makes trailering much more simpler, IMO. I've never had a big problem with the boat getting dirty and I'm pretty good about making sure all the seat cushions are strapped down and all hatches are closed.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
As someone who tows their boat 300+ miles almost every other weekend, I only will tow with a cover. The boat pulls sooo much easier, don't have to worry about an errant rock taking out my windshield ( I've seen it) and I don't have to stow everything to the point of making it hurricane proof.

That said, in my opinion, the ONLY way to trailer with a cover is to have a custom cover made that snaps to the boat, no straps going to the trailer or anywhere. Adjustable poles are used to hold the cover up and tension the cover. If the cover stretches, the poles can be adjusted to take up the new slack in the cover.

I've had 3 custom covers made (3 different boats), all from a fabric called Top Gun, or now Top Notch, it's Marlen Textiles product. Over the literally 1000s of miles towed with each boat, never once did I have failure. Maybe a couple times a snap came loose but that was easily fixed. The latest cover for my 20' Lund came in at about $1100.00.

Lund Cover 1.jpgLund Cover 2.jpg

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I find most snap down covers are a major pain in the butt. I don't know how many times my thumbs have popped out trying to snap down a cover unless it's hot out. Almost imossible when cold and the cover has shrunk. We don't worry about driving a rag top car but for some reason guys insist on trailering with a travel cover on. I am getting a custom mooring cover made soon, no trailering cover and none of those thumb breaking snaps. I can see trailering a $80,000.00 new boat with burled Walnut inlays in the interior covered but not my 94' StarCraft.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I simply detest snaps. Waxing around them is a PITA. Eventually one or more will get loose. Once the cover shrinks a bit and your fingers will hate you after you install it.

Right now I have 1 boat with a Carver cover with straps, and 2 other boats have Vacuhold covers. Boy they are slick. The faster you go the tighter they become. No snaps or straps, and no flapping.

The first time a flock of seagulls poop on your nice upholstery and leave a stain, or even worse, when the excrement runs down your throttle lever and enters the inside, then you'll be looking for a trailerable cover.

MRS

Commander
Bird poop Aruuuuuug! :blue: I park in a rv barn and the #$%@ birds still poop on my boat,