Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas to get rid of mice smell in bass boat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hantavirus life span is pretty short two weeks should be ok if the rodents are gone.

In an area that is closed up fresh ground coffee in a paper bag loosely wrapped so it can breathe works wonders if you can leave it there and keep adding to it buy a cup or two at a time put them in any areas that are not jdirectly opened to the air. Meaning it will help in your cubbies but not on an open deck. Citrus cleaners are pretty impressive but finding one that works for urine thats mild enough for carpet I dont know. Contact citrus king in Florida. We buy it in 55 gallon lots there industrial degreaser and cleaner and its impressive what odors it will strip not just mask but it needs washed with water afterwards. There are less strong mixes that might work well and you can spray it in or even fog it if you had a good sprayer just keep in mind your sprayer is onlly going to work for a while because its hard on the rubber seals in the sprayer. Spray it on let it soak then pressure wash it off.

Ozone machines are probably not going to help any open areas I use ours on rodent cars but it’s mediocre at best. Rodents are becoming a plague here in the sticks I do a lot of late model car repairs with rodent infestations. Most important thing is to make sure your not feeding them access to bird seed dog and cat food draws them in like mad.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmbo View Post
      Problem with Mouse Urine and Droppings, the risk of contracting Hantavirus. Soaking of any Contaminates with Bleach mixed at 10% for 30 minutes, will kill most of it, but Respiratory Masks, Goggles/Face Shield, Gloves,Throwaway Coveralls, and Duct Tape are recommended in any Mouse Dropping/Urine Clean up. If Contracted the Survival Rate is about 50%
      Seriously, only one case reported east of the Mississippi in 2018, 6 or 7 in 2017 which was the highest ever. Usually 1-3 per year.
      yes, high mortality rate at 36% per CDC, but I don't know anyone that treats this as a danger to worry about.
      I live in farm country and mice are everywhere. You scoop em up and toss them. I'm a bit of a germaphobe, so I wear gloves or use a shovel.
      Yeah, I handle dead people, but wear gloves to pick up a mouse. ????

CDC:
      Anything that puts you in contact with fresh rodent urine, droppings, saliva or nesting materialscan place you at risk for infection.
      Hantaviruses have been shown to be viable in the environment for 2 to 3 days at normal room temperature.
      Medford, WI

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie@boats View Post
        Its a to cold in CT to run my power washer right now which sucks.

I was thinking of trying the hand shampooer first, then in a couple of months was and scrub the carpet in the boat.

I like to keep thing era specific so as far as replacing the carpet goes I don't think I would be able to find carpet to match an 88 ranger
        So, are using period correct sonar, gps, and trolling motor?

Seem like after a while, either its a classic to be kept vintage, like a 69 Hurst Olds, or its something to be upgraded to increase efficiency, ease of use, and accuracy.
        Medford, WI

Comment

When I was working for the Phone Company, we had Hanta Kits in our Trucks. Paper Coveralls, Tape, Gloves, Mask, Goggles, Bleach, Spray Bottle, Distilled Water, Disinfectant Wipes, Disposal Bags, were some of the Items.There were several Deaths in Western Canada from Hanta, so...

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie@boats View Post
            Its a to cold in CT to run my power washer right now which sucks.

I was thinking of trying the hand shampooer first, then in a couple of months was and scrub the carpet in the boat.

I like to keep thing era specific so as far as replacing the carpet goes I don't think I would be able to find carpet to match an 88 ranger
            here is the issue with your 32 year old Ranger bass boat covered in mice urine

all the live-well plumbing fittings will be broken. those plastic fittings were brittle 15 years ago..... so you have to pull the whole boat apart to fix that.

mice will have chewed thru wiring and seat cushions, etc. so you should check everything while you have the boat apart.

when you do, simply tear out all the carpet and replace. you should also check the stringers and transom
            Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
            1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
            2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
            1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Here's a little back story on the boat, the boat sat from 1990-2016 in a non mice filled garage, unused/covered.

My friend bought it in 2016 and used it 5 times until I just bought it 2 months ago. The mice came into the picture about a year ago when he decided to store it in his barn. It has been a fresh water boat so as far as GPS/electronics they're minimal. Everything on the boat is original from 88 besides the trolling motor. The seats are perfect no rips or tears, all pumps/gauges work as they should. From the mouse traps I put inside the boat so far I don't see any trace of mice at this point. Its just a matter of getting rid of the smell.

Is a power washer safe for carpet in a boat? I am thinking on the next warmer day we have I will get a couple gallons of simple green and give it a go. I attached a picture of the boat.
              Last edited by Newbie@boats; January 9th, 2020, 08:05 AM.
              1999 Bayliner Trophy 2002 WA 150 Mercury "Blue Water"
              1988 Ranger "Fisherman" 110 Johnson

Comment

the live-well fittings will most likely either be cracked and broken, or soon will crack and break.

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats

Comment

Having been there/done that with a car, your best bet is to rip up the carpet and toss it in a dumpster as advised above. That's the only way I got the smell out of a car I bought out of PA - smelled like something died in the trunk (and probably something did).

I'm not sure why you'd be looking for factory original carpeting. Just head over to your favorite big box home improvement store and pick up some indoor/outdoor carpet in the color you want OR step up your game and install something synthetic like Seadek (which won't snag hooks and is soft on the feet) or Vinyl.
                  2017 Chaparral 19 H2O Ski & Fish w./4.3L 180HP Merc Alpha
                  2005 Four Winns 200Le x/5.0L Volvo SX-M (270HP - FI) - ordered new, traded in on Chaparral
                  1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS w/2000 Honda 115HP - ordered new, traded in on Four Winns
                  1956 MFG 15' w/matching Evinrude Big Twin 30HP - presumed to be a sandbox somewhere

Tow Vehicle:
                  2017 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4
                  2019 Ram 1500 Classic 4x4

Comment

I work in pest control. There's a deodorizer called Epoleon that's used on mouse and rat smell dead or alive. Also skunk, garbage, pets, etc. Doesn't mask the stink but works like an enzyme.

Comment

Turns out I was 65* today here in CT, I removed everything from the boat, doused it in simple green used my car wash brush and scrubbed and hosed the interior out. Filled the live wells with bleach and scrubbed them out. Now it’s time to let it air out and dry. Then we will see how it smells

Comment

I had that problem once,....I soaked it with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water and mixed in a whole bunch
                        of Borax with it,.....

Let it soak, drained it and let it dry,.....

Smell is gone,..

Comment

It’s smelling 80% better. Still not 100% gone but the weekend is almost over so until we get the next warm weekend it should slow down my wife’s complaining.

Comment

As a few have mentioned, the sun is an amazing fixer of smells and stains. You may have to wait until spring, but several days out in the blazing hot sun should help get rid of everything. However, I'm a big believer in ripping out the carpet. I bet that your wife would appreciate new carpeting/flooring as well. I doubt that she is wed to that 1970s brown in a 1988 boat, but you could probably find brown marine grade carpeting. I see brown marine carpet at this website: https://boatcarpet.com/

Comment

I’m amazed how well it worked so far with the initial wash down. You can hardly smell it unless your standing directly next to the boat and my wife hasn’t said a word.

she has zero interest in boating, she will never be on the boat, she will never go fishing which I’m ok with. But I do want it stored in the garage to keep it out of the elements.

im not going to rip up the carpet for a couple reasons, 1 I want to keep it as close to original as possible-I’m an avid ATC collector and once spent a year and a half finding OEM/NOS tires for a machine to keep it era specific. Replacing the carpet is out of my skill level-although doesn’t seem to difficult but if it’s not perfect I’d have to do it until it’s perfect and also it seems the smell is almost gone. I know I may sound crazy but it’s just how I am.

Comment

there is no benefit to keeping anything original. carpet is easy, screws and glue. easier than most of the maintenance needed to be done on a boat. you still have to fix the live well plumbing which involves pulling half the boat apart

Past Boats

Comment

Working...
                                X