Am i carrying too much weight on my Transom?

The boat is a 74 17' Proline CC.. Fiberglass. Transom is in great shape.. Doesnt seem to flex or is weakened that i can tell.. The 60 hp merc weighs 200 or so and the 15hp johnson weighs just under 100 or so.

My question is is this too much weight for the transom either while in the water or transporting..

I was thinking i could transport 15hp in truck till i get to water.

Any thoughts are appreciated..

Attachments

• photo323136.jpg
    photo323136.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
What is the rated HP of your boat? I'm guessing that your boat is rated for considerably more than 60. If that is the case, then carrying the 15 is not an issue at all.

The real issue is the condition of the transom. Most boats that old have a lot of rot in the guts of the hull unless it was garage stored and kept dry all the time.

Rather than looking at it and assuming the hull is good, its best to have a professional survey it and then you'll know for sure.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Install a transom saver. I think any towed boat should have one regardless of weight. Especially on unpaved back roads, some shouldn't be called roads, more like paths. We have plenty of those here in Ontario. When in the water if that bow rides high with the 15 on you may need to add ballast to the bow. I had to put the 2 12V batteries back up front when I put the 15HP kicker on my 19' StarCraft with 115 Mariner.