Confession Time.....Oops

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Was out a couple of days ago. Still getting used to newly acquired used boat. I have every confidence in the condition of the equipment. Get the trailer in the water, jump in, full of glee and excitement for some fun, hit the key, she rolls up like she should but won't light off....won't even quiver........spend some 20 minutes fiddling around trying to figure why no spark...fuel was obviously present.......racking my brain checking this and that.....in short, I happen to look over at my life jacket and there attached to it is my fluorescent kill switch lanyard lying next to me.....disconnected from the kill switch. Betcha that doesn't happen again. Course, if I had put my life jacket on when I entered the boat, not after I got things running and warming up, it wouldn't have happened........good safety checklist.

On the kill switch, I saw a Utube the other day where a guy had a tiller fishing boat and had fallen out. A boat was coming over to pick up the fisherman, running the video from a smart phone I suppose, well away from the boat going around in circles at moderate speed with no operator. Something to think about especially if you fall or are thrown overboard and you are in the loop and the boat decides to make a run for YOU!

Fed

Commander
At least you know the kill switch works.

I never use mine but I accidentally found out it doesn't kill my motor when I pulled it to do a compression test, probably corrosion on the switch contacts from lack of use with the contacts being held permanently open.

The Force power

Commander
Was out a couple of days ago. Still getting used to newly acquired used boat. I have every confidence in the condition of the equipment. Get the trailer in the water, jump in, full of glee and excitement for some fun, hit the key, she rolls up like she should but won't light off....won't even quiver........spend some 20 minutes fiddling around trying to figure why no spark...fuel was obviously present.......racking my brain checking this and that.....in short, I happen to look over at my life jacket and there attached to it is my fluorescent kill switch lanyard lying next to me.....disconnected from the kill switch. Betcha that doesn't happen again. Course, if I had put my life jacket on when I entered the boat, not after I got things running and warming up, it wouldn't have happened........good safety checklist.

On the kill switch, I saw a Utube the other day where a guy had a tiller fishing boat and had fallen out. A boat was coming over to pick up the fisherman, running the video from a smart phone I suppose, well away from the boat going around in circles at moderate speed with no operator. Something to think about especially if you fall or are thrown overboard and you are in the loop and the boat decides to make a run for YOU!

Yup, makes you wander in what scenario you want to be; trying to start the without the kill-switch plugged or trying to out swim your boat chasing you!

I pick the first scenario

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I think we have all done it at least once. Nice feeling when you realize that's all it is. When my main or kicker has a problem starting all I see is $ signs running through my noggin. Then relief when you realize it's just the kill switch. Of which I often for get to put in on my wrist. When I do I inevitably forget it's on and kills the engine when I get out of my seat.

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I never use mine but.......

Quite a few folks around here found out the hard way to wear theirs last summer, game wardens wrote many tickets. They checked me on the pontoon and I was glad I had printed a copy of the law, the officer had no idea that they aren't required for pontoons or houseboats.

briangcc

Commander
Life jackets are mandatory here for youngins...I think till they hit teenie bopper years. Adults are mandatory I think from Labor Day to Memorial Day due to water temps.

But yeah, that's a heck of a way to test your kill switch!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
When I do I inevitably forget it's on and kills the engine when I get out of my seat.

That was why it was attached to my vest and disconnected from the switch. When I was in the no wake zone heading for the ramp last time out, putting things away I did that and since I was stowing things and the vest was part of that it just stayed there with me not seeing nor thinking about it initially the next time out.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
That was why it was attached to my vest and disconnected from the switch. When I was in the no wake zone heading for the ramp last time out, putting things away I did that and since I was stowing things and the vest was part of that it just stayed there with me not seeing nor thinking about it initially the next time out.

I have an inflatable PFD. I hooked it to the vest once and somehow when I forgot to unhook it the thing inflated and scared the beegeezus out of me. So now it's on my right wrist. Usually when I'm running WOT or close not trolling. In fact come to think of it I have elec. starter and throttle controls for my 15HP kicker and the controls are mounted on the port side. (which an experienced Marine guy said was impossible to do, it's possible, we did it) No way I can have both on at the same time and can't steer from the left seat. A prop pushing the StarCraft at a few MPH can do some major damage to flesh.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I have an inflatable PFD. I hooked it to the vest once and somehow when I forgot to unhook it the thing inflated and scared the beegeezus out of me. So now it's on my right wrist. Usually when I'm running WOT or close not trolling. In fact come to think of it I have elec. starter and throttle controls for my 15HP kicker and the controls are mounted on the port side. (which an experienced Marine guy said was impossible to do, it's possible, we did it) No way I can have both on at the same time and can't steer from the left seat. A prop pushing the StarCraft at a few MPH can do some major damage to flesh.

On the inflatable vest and inflating it, I accidentally hooked my handle on a down rigger bracket but caught it before it pulled the cord enough to inflate it. With this boat I have resolved myself to be more careful, especially boat drain plug in and engie trimmed up before loading on trailer (would drag the ground otherwise) and ensure the transom tie downs are pulled up tight. Check, check, and recheck gotta keep alert. But my list is getting longer.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Im not 100 percent positive but im sure my etec will do zip unless the kill switch is attached.Many years ago my dad did the boat circling him gig.Icame across a 18 footer furiously doing tight circles.I was going to dive over into it after intercepting it but the cops said salvage didn't apply so I told them to figure it out then.Actually I would not of done that to a fellow boater.The kicker was when the cops showed up they said the boater had just filled it up!He was rescued by a passing boater and was on land very worried.

Last edited:

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
My kill switch is disabled. One time my boat wouldn't start and it took me a while to figure out it wasn't in neutral.