bigger means better?

CNT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bigger means Better... Funny as it sound, the "American Way."

I have been looking at many boats, ranging 14'-17', some 18'. Now I just looked at a 21'. It's on two wheel trailer (or is it called 4 wheeler or what?). The yellow capacity label says "10 persons or 1410 lbs", but the 21' looks like 8 adults comfortably. It's a 5.0 Cobra. I am wondering if I am shift away? It's a little big boat. The guy said it goes about 55mph. It does needs some work. I am just wondering if it's a too big of a boat for my first boat? Almost I am now not sure what I am looking for! That 21' boat for sure can go on Lake Michigan (like close to shore), while 17' aluminum fishing boat can't. I think I am worry about having a boat lot in my backyard (small, medium, large, then finally a yacht), I couldn't even afford a $2,000 boat!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would stay away from any OMC powered boats, mainly because OMC went out of business last century and parts support is iffy at best.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'd say yeah a 21 is better for big water, having spent time on the big water the 17.5 boats can get a bit scary even close to shore. I've noticed the waves are actually bigger close in, as they rebound from the shore. Just picked up an older 21 foot sylvan, should be a lot better out there, as it has a deep hull, and small cuddy. Have to get it out yet, as it's late in the season I'll wait till spring. I ageree, omc is getting harder to get parts for.

southkogs

Staff member
Two wheels on each side is called a tandem axle trailer. :thumb:

Welcome aboard.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Bigger better in boats? yes...

factors to consider.. what body of water do you boat on? is it big.. i mean big....miles long and wide.. if so, the 21 ft is wise.. if not, pass on it. the OMC motor isnt made, finding parts hard or impossible. pass on it.... get a Mercruiser engine, lots of boats out there

Pulse186

Cadet
Concur with the others, OMC was never known for quality and parts are likely going to be difficult to find. Additionally, a 5.0 litre engine in a 21 foot boat is no where near 55 mph, maybe 45 in optimal conditions with a light load and the wind at your back.

Last edited:

CNT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Two wheels on each side is called a tandem axle trailer. :thumb:
Thanks for the terminology.

Anyways, I already told him I am not interested in this size of boat, at least now. If I was anywhere near ready, I would probably look into yachts. I had good memories in actually drive few yachts (my father's friend owns several, and retired in FLA..., again, still lives with yachts)..But, gotta go to work first.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Concur with the others, OMC was never known for quality and parts are likely going to be difficult to find. Additionally, a 5.0 litre engine in a 21 foot boat is no where near 55 mph, maybe 45 in optimal conditions with a light load and the wind at your back.

Well, we all have an opinion. The best opinions are from those that have some real world experience for years and years.

Sure, out of business, so parts are a problem. But quality? Haha. OMC always was the best at whatever they did until the Evinrude family died out and bizness people took over. Back in the day I'd take a stringer drive every day.

Bigger = better? Yeah another opinion. We went thru the 2 footitis for years. Looking back the little guys were where we had the most fun and in the end we downsized and went back to an outboard. Gotta love 4-strokers.

That's MY opinion...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I think I am worry about having a boat lot in my backyard (small, medium, large, then finally a yacht), I couldn't even afford a $2,000 boat!
I never had a do everything boat and have had more than 1 for most of my life. I also had boats and tackle for both fresh and salt water when I lived on the Gulf Coast.....for 2 reasons: salt contamination primarily and different types of fish and environment requiring different approaches and equipment.

On the bigger-better part, unless I was Crappie fishing head waters in the spring, on the water most always never big enough (wind and wave tolerance) and once on land, never small enough for all the things that happen there.

Last edited:
I have a 16.5' boat and fish inland waters (twice near shore on Lake Michigan though). There are times in bigger waves when a bigger boat would be nice, but I love loading by myself. I love that I can easily push it around in my garage or driveway without using a truck or ATV to move it. Bigger is not always better, it's in the eye of the beholder.

My opinion for all folks new to boating is to get a boat for one year that doesn't cost much and is small. That's the boat that you want to run aground with, hit a rock with, hit another boat with, and drop off the trailer when you forget some mundane yet essential part of trailering. Sell it the following fall and buy a nicer boat, that you will still bounce against a rock. Eventually buy your yacht and try to stay off of the rocks.

briangcc

Commander
Bottom fin = Skeg

I dunno if I'd stay away. Isn't the merc a direct swap for the Cobra if it went south? Block should be Chevy 305 which are dime a dozen.

CNT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
https://www.nortonsdrydock.com/boats...onsin-7281871/

yes..... stay away
Huh? Hmm... if I showed this to my wife, she would probably buy it right away. The skeg (thanks to briangcc for terminology) damage might make it a price negotiable. She knows I would fix or do something about the skeg (a new learning experance).

In fact, along with this, I was considering this boat (link below).

https://www.cedarlakesales.com/inven...3095-10277611i

For less than a grand, all I would need is to buy radio/speakers (I am Deaf, so it's going to be a display cosmetic). But the fabric all around the interior give me creeps (only by looking at the photos, haven't seen it in person).. The 90HP is tempting me.

305 Chevys, they are alright. I had a 301 and it was much worst than 305, yet I smoked a Saab (literally smoked as sack of smoke behind me).

What's so bad about boat's Cobra? OMC is a problem? I am still trying to understand this. It may be obsolete or parts hard to find, really? Spark plugs and oil/filter are everywhere, gaskets should be available, what is it?

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would say that boat with the 90 Mercury needs the transom rebuilt.------Ask the seller about those 2 braces for the transom.-----Still a good deal if motor starts and runs.-----Motor is a 1984 / 85 model.----A good deal if your are that " handyman " that is mentioned.

mr 88

Commander
My opinion , the 4 Winns is way overpriced and should be in the 3,000-3500 max range .[ Would be more if it was a Mercruiser set up ] The issue with the OMC is not the engine , it's finding parts for the outdrive or someone to work on them if you do not have the tools or confidence to maintain it. Between Google , YouTube and this site any issues can be overcome , as long as you can find the replacement part .

mr 88

Commander
I would say that boat with the 90 Mercury needs the transom rebuilt.------Ask the seller about those 2 braces for the transom.-----Still a good deal if motor starts and runs.-----Motor is a 1984 / 85 model.----A good deal if your are that " handyman " that is mentioned.

Agreed , the transom is more than likely shot and will have to be rebuilt . Noticed more than a few holes on the back of the transom which probably lead to water intrusion along with the cap on transom. Who know what condition the stringers are in ? I would take a wild guess that they are shot. The selling dealer is falsely advertising this as all they mention is the interior , not the structural integrity of the transom. I would be very hesitant about buying a boat from a place like that after seeing that ad and pictures. The motor , controls and trailer are probably worth more than what they will eventually take for the whole setup which was probably a trade in .If I was that dealer that is the way I would of marketed it . Take the boat out of the equation before you get hit with a lawsuit. My guess is they have little to no money into that setup.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
https://www.nortonsdrydock.com/boats...onsin-7281871/

Huh? Hmm... if I showed this to my wife, she would probably buy it right away. The skeg (thanks to briangcc for terminology) damage might make it a price negotiable. She knows I would fix or do something about the skeg (a new learning experance).

In fact, along with this, I was considering this boat (link below).

https://www.cedarlakesales.com/inven...3095-10277611i

For less than a grand, all I would need is to buy radio/speakers (I am Deaf, so it's going to be a display cosmetic). But the fabric all around the interior give me creeps (only by looking at the photos, haven't seen it in person).. The 90HP is tempting me.

305 Chevys, they are alright. I had a 301 and it was much worst than 305, yet I smoked a Saab (literally smoked as sack of smoke behind me).

What's so bad about boat's Cobra? OMC is a problem? I am still trying to understand this. It may be obsolete or parts hard to find, really? Spark plugs and oil/filter are everywhere, gaskets should be available, what is it?

first, OMC went out of business in the lat 90's parts support for the drive is minimal. many of the parts are NLA. Gaskets are covered by the aftermarket, however unless you do your own work, good luck

second, FORD backed out of the boating business about the same time and parts for that for 2.3, 5.0, 5.8, and 7.5 are NLA. so if the EFI goes bad (and it will), you can not get replacement parts for the fuel system or ignition, so injectors, ignition module, ECM, etc can only be sourced used. you can build the base motor, you would have to ditch the EFI and go carb

that boat is a triple NO. first no is that is OMC outdrive and OMC marinized ford motor, second NO is that it is FORD motor in a marine application, the third NO, is that Four Winns was owned by OMC at the time.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
An 86' glass boat is going to need more than a radio and speakers my friend. If the interior is rough so goes everything under it, she most likely has a rotted floor and any wood under including the transom (the back of the boat that the engine is attached to) along with any foam used in 86' that is now waterlogged. I don't want to rain on your parade but if anyone buys that boat the owner is hi fiving himself for dumping it onto a newbie saving his or herself the cost to take it to land fill. No way it's worth 1000 bucks based on my experience, no way. I'm sure there are more than a few near perfect 86' glass boats but they would have had a total restoration costing several 1000 bucks.

As far as size, bigger is generally better. No way you are getting 8 people on a 21 foot boat comfortably in my humble opinion. Maybe a pontoon boat 21' long. Wide (beam size) is just as important as length. On that boat above 3 will be cramped. Read and reread the sticky at the top of this forum as to what to look for on a used boat.

How much is your budget for your new to you boat including a new stereo and speakers? That will determine what boat you will buy. I can see dumping 2 grand into that boat for materials alone if the engine runs well and good compression.

We boat/fish Lake Erie in my 19'6" StarCraft, some days a 25' er is too small for Lake Michigan. I have never heard of or seen an EBKO boat, I guess I have now. Never buy any boat , new or used, without testing driving it. Not just idling on a garden hose.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member

agreed on the rotten transom. the braces and sillycone caulk give it away
Thumb.aspx

Thumb.aspx

the floor is also rotten. look at the floor at the ski locker. there is a divot right behind the crack in the floor/tear in the carpet.
Thumb.aspx