North American ethanol fuel is the devil !

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I always watch this guys videos with interest. Really great channel with totally neutral testing.
I was aware you guys over the pond have complaints about the ethanol blended fuel and it’s issues...but my goodness, I had no idea how horrible this stuff was. Simply horrendous stuff. I’m so glad that for now at least, we have very little in our normal unleaded. Less than 5%...and none in 99% of our super or premium petrol.
You might want to look away for some of this !!

if there was ever any doubt about leaving this type of fuel in the tank for a while...there shouldn’t be now !!

https://youtu.be/UvS_D4_lF5U

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Not sure the snake oil helped in his test. He is re known for being totally neutral on his testing.
The fuel not even igniting is crazy. And the damage done after prolonged exposure to parts that aren’t designed with the modern fuel in mind is mad.

ahicks

Captain
QBoy, respectfuly, we've been using that fuel for at least 20 years now, maybe 30. A long time anyway. The manf''s did struggle a bit at first, but after this long, I'm thinking they've had it right for quite some time now.

I think maybe your guy has a lot of good hints and experience to share, but ethanol is a dead issue.

3rd vote for it being a non event.

Further, I doubt seriously if I would ever purchase Lucas brand stabilizer after watching this vid. I've cleaned my share of carbs over the years (100's), including some that have sat for years, that were not nearly as nasty looking as his "samples".

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
QBoy, respectfuly, we've been using that fuel for at least 20 years now, maybe 30. A long time anyway. The manf''s did struggle a bit at first, but after this long, I'm thinking they've had it right for quite some time now.

I think maybe your guy has a lot of good hints and experience to share, but ethanol is a dead issue.

3rd vote for it being a non event.

Further, I doubt seriously if I would ever purchase Lucas brand stabilizer after watching this vid. I've cleaned my share of carbs over the years (100's), including some that have sat for years, that were not nearly as nasty looking as his "samples".

ah. I thought you guys had real complaints about this stuff. Sorry guys. Maybe I have it wrong.
it’s becoming an issue here for sure, but only in classic cars and smaller cheaper engines so far.
The video is pretty scary, at the least from a fuel in the tank over winter point of view. I always have an empty tank anyway, but food for thought.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I use e10 in my boats. Never an issue. However, I don't use it in my yard equipment any more. Had issues with lawn equipment, chainsaws, weed whackers much to often. Since I went to premium in that equipment, no more problems.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I use e10 in my boats. Never an issue. However, I don't use it in my yard equipment any more. Had issues with lawn equipment, chainsaws, weed whackers much to often. Since I went to premium in that equipment, no more problems.

Similar to here with yard machinery. Old 2 stroke jet skis are finding it tough too.

Bondo

Staff member
And the damage done after prolonged exposure to parts that aren’t designed with the modern fuel in mind is mad.

Ayuh,...... I've seen it all, 'n agree with the guy in the video,.....

Been buyin' ethanol free gas since it became available up here,.....

You oughta see what ethanol does to the gelcoat inside a fiberglass gas tank,......

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ayuh,...... I've seen it all, 'n agree with the guy in the video,.....

Been buyin' ethanol free gas since it became available up here,.....

You oughta see what ethanol does to the gelcoat inside a fiberglass gas tank,......

I agree bondo. It’s bad stuff for sure.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The only thing I don't use e-10 is my 2 strk lawn quipment. That requires 91 octane so that is what I use. I use BRP 2+4 fuel conditioner in my fuel and that is all. People who think that premium is pure should look at what goes into it.

robert graham

Admiral
Well, the ethanol fuel did start to dissolve the fiberglass tank on my rail buggy....replaced tank with polyethylene...no problem....but everything else , outboards, mowers, blowers, cars, etc. have had no issues at all. But like oil, grease, etc., the ethanol fuel seems to be another endlessly debatable subject.....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
ah. I thought you guys had real complaints about this stuff. Sorry guys. Maybe I have it wrong.
it’s becoming an issue here for sure, but only in classic cars and smaller cheaper engines so far.
The video is pretty scary, at the least from a fuel in the tank over winter point of view. I always have an empty tank anyway, but food for thought.

I have a 40 year classic car that gets driven about 60 miles a year. I fillerup once a year with about 5 gal of gas. As new it used regular unleaded gas and I had to rebuild the carb every 8 years or so. Since switching to E-10 about 20 years ago the carb has not needed to be rebuilt and she starts up perfect first crank even though she may not have been driven in a month.

My small cheap engines in the lawn equipment are still OK as well. My trimming lawn mower is a 1964 Techumseh. Runs like a top.

No question alcohol degrades fiberglass tanks - well documented and proven. But all the other complaints are bogus or due to poor equipment maintenance.

I agree - e10 is baaaaddd. We gotta have something to blame...

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
No question alcohol degrades fiberglass tanks - well documented and proven. But all the other complaints are bogus or due to poor equipment maintenance.

100% agree. Minnesota was the first state to start using ethanol blended fuel so we have dealt with it longer than anyone. Personally I prefer over straight gas as it keeps the fuel system nice and clean and anecdotally I've encountered more fuel related problems with straight gas than I ever have with ethanol blended gas.

Lastly, MerCruiser engineers recommend it in their sterndrives over straight gas.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I have a 40 year classic car that gets driven about 60 miles a year. I fillerup once a year with about 5 gal of gas. As new it used regular unleaded gas and I had to rebuild the carb every 8 years or so. Since switching to E-10 about 20 years ago the carb has not needed to be rebuilt and she starts up perfect first crank even though she may not have been driven in a month.

My small cheap engines in the lawn equipment are still OK as well. My trimming lawn mower is a 1964 Techumseh. Runs like a top.

I agree - e10 is baaaaddd. We gotta have something to blame...

40 years ago, we didn’t have unleaded here. It wasn’t a thing. All fuel was leaded. Did you guys have unleaded over there in the 70’s ?

southkogs

Staff member
40 years ago, we didn’t have unleaded here. It wasn’t a thing. All fuel was leaded. Did you guys have unleaded over there in the 70’s ?
The US began phasing lead out in 1976. It was completely done by 1996. So, we were seeing unleaded 40 years ago. I think I remember seeing "Gasohol" showing up at pumps in the late 70s, during the oil embargo.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Actually, I don't remember when the change was made. My 40 year old car has a catalytic converter and the owner's manual says "MUST use unleaded gas", so it must have been available at least by 1980.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Actually, I don't remember when the change was made. My 40 year old car has a catalytic converter and the owner's manual says "MUST use unleaded gas", so it must have been available at least by 1980.

You guys must have been way ahead of us with this. Catalytic converters weren’t really a thing here at all until the 90’s. ‘94 was the year they were in most of the new cars.