Igloo cooler...what to do?

Lianderi

Recruit
So this past weekend, Dumb-Dumb (Me) decided to overload the capacity of the handles on my Igloo cooler that fits under the seat in my X2. I need to fix it ASAP because we are planning to use the boat a bunch over next weekend. I have never felt the quality of the cooler that came with the boat was all that great...needs more insulation in it. My question is what other coolers actually fit in the cutout under the seat? I can easily go buy a replacement handle, but I would rather buy a better cooler that actually fits.

Thoughts??

Thanks!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I guess the best way is to take your measurements and go cooler shopping. You could even get one that runs on 12 volts so it stays cool.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Depends on what model igloo.

I have two marine igloo (white) coolers on the front of my beach buggy. A 92 qt. for beverages and a 72 qt for bait.

They are not the best insulated on the market, but parts are available which is good since they take a beating on the truck.

Use dry ice during 24/3 tournaments. They have served me well over the past 20 years or so.

emoney

Commander
I agree with Grub; measure the cooler that fits there and/or the area it fits in. If there's brackets already mounted on the floor, then those are most important for fitment of the new one. Tons of options out there on the market, so don't get caught up in the "name", as there's plenty research available on which holds ice best, etc.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I got a dometic cool freeze not so long ago. Best thing I’ve ever bought for the boat. Not cheap but do efficient and doesn’t kill the battery. Proper compressor unit and can freeze down to -18 oC

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, you are upset over a cooler? You haven't been a boat owner very long, I would imagine. Stuff breaks all the time, or falls overboard. Don't sweat it. The cooler can be used as it, just carry it with hands under the bottom.

Wait until something really important goes wrong...engine breaks, gas filter clogs or leaks, hull leaks, plug is forgotten, or something really really bad happens, like you run aground with your Mother-in-law on board.

Smile.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The cooler can be used as it, just carry it with hands under the bottom.
Made me laugh.

Brings back memories of The Beach Boys, 4th of July concert in DC back in my younger days.

A cheap styrofoam cooler from the grocery store, a case of adult beverages and a roll of duck tape...didn’t end well....lol

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Hold a 75 pound cooler up with my hands. Maybe 30 years ago, not today. Go buy a new cooler that fits under the seat. At the price of premiuim coolers like Yeti I would be upset too. I used to haul big expensive coolers onto the boat now I fill big Pop bottles full of water or Ice Tea and freeze them over night. I put them in a live well and it works great. Even in summer they last all day and we always have ice cold water.

hogbare35

Seaman
I'll give you a quick fix. On each end of cooler drill 2 3/4 holes where the handle broke off ,get some 3/4" nylon line long enough to go into the cooler and also reach above the top of cooler, get a 3/4" piece of real good pvc pipe, thread pipe on line,then line in each hole ,on inside of cooler put line thru 3/4" fender washer tie a double knot on each line . You have a handle, do same on other end of cooler. Works great as long as the handles are above top of cooler.
John