AGM Battery Over-discharge Damage?

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
I have a Marine dual use 12V AGM battery that I over-discharged to 8.5V. It's charging back up now. I understand over-discharging a battery can damage it, or reduce it's capacity. After charging it I'll take it to an auto parts store for a load test. If it passes that load test are there any concerns remaining with the battery?

eric102

Seaman
If you didn't let it sit discharged for any length of time and are using a smart AGM battery charger it might be OK.

If it has been discharged for a while and you are using a standard flooded cell battery charger it will probably be toast or if you are lucky usable but at a reduced capacity.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks. I have smart AGM charger and it charged up fully and tested good at the auto parts store with their load tool. It wasn't discharged for very long, a day or two. Looks like I was lucky. I

wish I knew more about how the auto parts battery testers work relative to amp-hour capacity. I get how it checks for cranking amps, but not sure how well it checks for overall amp-hour capacity, which is my concern when doing over-nighters.