Replacing fold down bench seats with pedestal

Private2019

Cadet
Hello all, I have a 1996 Starcraft fish and ski that I mostly use for fishing. I was wondering if anyone has ripped out the fold down lounge seats and replaced them with pedestal seats. Looking to gain more room.

thanks all

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
pull out seats and seat boxes, reinforce floor for pedestals, install pedestals, go boating.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Build a box designed at the right height, and them mount a swivel base and seat directly on it. Cover the base with vinyl and mount it directly to the floor (deck) with angle brackets on the inside at each of the 4 corners. No reinforcement needed.

Pedestal seats suck, IMHO. Even mounted on a brand new $100,000 boat they still wiggle. With a sturdy base a captain's chair works wonders.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
If you mount the pedestals permanently on a sturdy box they should stay right where they are. I have lost a few co pilots in the left seat before when hitting a nice breaker dead on when the removable seat decided to pop out of the pedestal.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Find the ribs or stringers in the hull if you can and ensure that you make some attachments there with Stainless Steel screws. Build up the area with a box as mentioned, or I like adjustable pedestals that rotate sitting on several layers of built up plywood, marine if you can get it, extended out to the edges of the seat or more; 2-3 layers, stair stepped to the pedestal mounting (dimensions).

I like the increase in room, sitting higher being more comfortable, being able to rotate at least 180* and as plush a seat as you desire...arm rests, lumbar, headrest, on and on. Other thing is that if you use the 9" bolt patterned pedestal the post is usually 2" and on some boats like Crestliner, the seat can be locked in the forward position for steering, or simple depression of the lock button and you can swing around. Then if you want to move the seat (and pedestal) out of the boat...out of the way when not in use, or move it to another location just takes a second to pop it out of the mount.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Use stainless "lag" screws. If it's in your budget build your box with a heavy gauge stainless steel, I like the checker plate finish. Put a door and lockable key latch on it and you have more storage too. There's never enough storage for me.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
to reinforce the floor usually is done when installing a new floor. however you can also add a few layers of material on top your existing floor to make a plinth. you are looking at a bit of fiberglass work to do it.

building a box as stated above is also an option

sunny0106

Banned
Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites!

ac market

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites!

ac market

Take your spamming to a site that appreciates it.