Replacing fold down bench seats with pedestal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing fold down bench seats with pedestal

Hello all, I have a 1996 Starcraft fish and ski that I mostly use for fishing. I was wondering if anyone has ripped out the fold down lounge seats and replaced them with pedestal seats. Looking to gain more room.

thanks all

pull out seats and seat boxes, reinforce floor for pedestals, install pedestals, go boating.
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Recommendations for reinforcing the floor?

Comment

Build a box designed at the right height, and them mount a swivel base and seat directly on it. Cover the base with vinyl and mount it directly to the floor (deck) with angle brackets on the inside at each of the 4 corners. No reinforcement needed.

Pedestal seats suck, IMHO. Even mounted on a brand new $100,000 boat they still wiggle. With a sturdy base a captain's chair works wonders.

2019 SeaRay SPX 190 OB & Mercury 150 4-Stroke & Merc 5.0 Kicker
        2017 Boston Whaler 150 Montauk & Mercury 60 ELPT Command Thrust & Merc 3.5 Kicker
        2015 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
        1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
        1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
        1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
        69 Outboards: 1919-2019, representing 11 manufacturers
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

If you mount the pedestals permanently on a sturdy box they should stay right where they are. I have lost a few co pilots in the left seat before when hitting a nice breaker dead on when the removable seat decided to pop out of the pedestal.
          Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

Find the ribs or stringers in the hull if you can and ensure that you make some attachments there with Stainless Steel screws. Build up the area with a box as mentioned, or I like adjustable pedestals that rotate sitting on several layers of built up plywood, marine if you can get it, extended out to the edges of the seat or more; 2-3 layers, stair stepped to the pedestal mounting (dimensions).

I like the increase in room, sitting higher being more comfortable, being able to rotate at least 180* and as plush a seat as you desire...arm rests, lumbar, headrest, on and on. Other thing is that if you use the 9" bolt patterned pedestal the post is usually 2" and on some boats like Crestliner, the seat can be locked in the forward position for steering, or simple depression of the lock button and you can swing around. Then if you want to move the seat (and pedestal) out of the boat...out of the way when not in use, or move it to another location just takes a second to pop it out of the mount.
            If you are new to boating or have a new boat, a knowledgeable friend could show you how to operate your boat and save you a lot of grief, maybe some money, and maybe your life.

Comment

Use stainless "lag" screws. If it's in your budget build your box with a heavy gauge stainless steel, I like the checker plate finish. Put a door and lockable key latch on it and you have more storage too. There's never enough storage for me.
              Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

to reinforce the floor usually is done when installing a new floor. however you can also add a few layers of material on top your existing floor to make a plinth. you are looking at a bit of fiberglass work to do it.

building a box as stated above is also an option
                Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites!

ac market

Comment

Originally posted by sunny0106 View Post

Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites!

ac market
                    Take your spamming to a site that appreciates it.
                    BOAT SPECS | FORUM HELP | STARCRAFT FORUM | SHOP iBoats
                    Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                    That is what the forums are for.
                    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Working...
                    X