Tips and Procedures for Hull Detail Work

alparmer

Cadet
This is our first salt water boat and just recently had it pulled out of the water for hull work. It is a 31' Larson 310 Express Cruiser. The marina power washed the bottom and gave us a referral for the rest of the work needed. The quote we received was of over 2k, so it looks like I'll be doing the work myself.

The boat is mostly white gelcoat with blue paint on the upper half of the hull sides. There is a decal on the blue paint that needs to be removed since it's scuffed up. There are also two pinstripes, top and bottom of the blue painted area. It also needs bottom paint along with paint for the outdrives.

The quote I received was for the following: remove the decals (no problem), acid wash hull sides (no idea what that is), compound and wax (no problem), dustless sanding bottom (not sure what dustless is), paint bottom with ablative (not sure if this is sprayed or rolled), sand and paint the outdrives with non-copper paint (not sure what type of paint that is).

I'm assuming the acid wash is some sort of chemical that really cleans the gelcoat. I will use 3M compound for the sides probably a mild cutting compound. Not sure if it is best to wax or to use one of the many ceramic sealers available. Not sure what type of sanding material is best for the bottom paint or outdrives.

I would appreciate any tips and what procedures are needed.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You have many jobs needed. Successfully accomplishing any one of them will require a lot of research and maybe some trial and error, especially since you have admitted that you aren't familiar with most of them.

Off hand, the 2 grand doesn't seem too bad. Doesn't look like the marina is gouging you. Till you buy the equipment needed, plus the materials, my guess is that it will cost you more in the long run. Ablative paint is costly, plus dustless sanding systems aren't cheap.

I'd let them do it, and keep close tabs on their progress,and then you will be better prepared for the next time.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Give the labor intensity of the tasks, $2k isn’t bad at at.

Depending on the paint used, you may have a hazmat situation removing the bottom paint. Most marinas will not allow sanding without a permit and proper dust collection precautions