Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carolina Skiff

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bod...995988920.html

Well, it's a boat, alright. It looks like a US Coast Guard rescue boat? Is this a speed boat? It looks like all fiberglass inside? I asked them to sent to me a photo of the yellow capacity label. Per se, can or where put a steering wheel/helm (which by definition mean remote steering)?

I have a 15HP tiller motor (short shaft), that should be plenty. That's if I get this boat, but what is it?

Google Carolina Skiff J14 remote steering and you'll see some pictures of 'em. Dunno how easy it is to reconfigure one for a console, but with enough time and money anything can be done.

Carolina Skiff is a skiff style (shallow bottom), or flats boat. They get used along the coast quite a bit. Not a great open water boat I would think, but I've seen them in bigger bays and such.

Comment

Its a Carolina Skiff J14. Nothing to wonder about. Its a poor man's Boston Whaler. Better check their web site to see the transom height. My guess is that your short shaft wouldn't work.
      2019 SeaRay SPX 190 OB & Mercury 150 4-Stroke & Merc 5.0 Kicker
      2017 Boston Whaler 150 Montauk & Mercury 60 ELPT Command Thrust & Merc 3.5 Kicker
      2015 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
      1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
      1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
      1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
      69 Outboards: 1919-2019, representing 11 manufacturers
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

Think fiberglass jon boat and you'll be close.

Comment

Think fiberglass jon boat and you'll be close.
          In other words... chopping rides?

Comment

The 16’ version is a very popular platform around here for use as a crabbing skiff. Very stable utility boat.

Most of the 16’ are powered 25-40hp. Your 15 hp should suffice on this model

Not a bad ride believe it or not.
            Last edited by dingbat; October 9th, 2019, 06:10 PM.

Comment

I've seen them in use all over the southeast coast line. I can't imagine they're that horrible a ride. And a fiberglass jon boat wouldn't be a description I'd use on 'em. They're more substantive than that (though, there are some "jon" boats that I've been impressed with too).

Comment

To answer your questions, that boat is not a speed boat. Its what I would call a run about or a fishing boat. You can put steering and controls on any boat and any motor. When I was a younger lad I installed steering and throttle controls on my homemade boat and I'm no rocket scientist, lol.
                198LE Stingray 4.3 TKS

Comment

Working...
                X