Carolina Skiff

CNT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bod...995988920.html

Well, it's a boat, alright. It looks like a US Coast Guard rescue boat? Is this a speed boat? It looks like all fiberglass inside? I asked them to sent to me a photo of the yellow capacity label. Per se, can or where put a steering wheel/helm (which by definition mean remote steering)?

I have a 15HP tiller motor (short shaft), that should be plenty. That's if I get this boat, but what is it?

Attachments

• photo321795.jpg
    photo321795.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
Google Carolina Skiff J14 remote steering and you'll see some pictures of 'em. Dunno how easy it is to reconfigure one for a console, but with enough time and money anything can be done.

Carolina Skiff is a skiff style (shallow bottom), or flats boat. They get used along the coast quite a bit. Not a great open water boat I would think, but I've seen them in bigger bays and such.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Its a Carolina Skiff J14. Nothing to wonder about. Its a poor man's Boston Whaler. Better check their web site to see the transom height. My guess is that your short shaft wouldn't work.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The 16’ version is a very popular platform around here for use as a crabbing skiff. Very stable utility boat.

Most of the 16’ are powered 25-40hp. Your 15 hp should suffice on this model

Not a bad ride believe it or not.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
I've seen them in use all over the southeast coast line. I can't imagine they're that horrible a ride. And a fiberglass jon boat wouldn't be a description I'd use on 'em. They're more substantive than that (though, there are some "jon" boats that I've been impressed with too).

roffey

Commander
To answer your questions, that boat is not a speed boat. Its what I would call a run about or a fishing boat. You can put steering and controls on any boat and any motor. When I was a younger lad I installed steering and throttle controls on my homemade boat and I'm no rocket scientist, lol.