Using 2 different fabrics for a boat cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

djnordeen

Seaman
1997 Harris Royal Heritage 24' with a 13' hardtop. Cover over everything.
I am wondering if using a Waterproof fabric on the top of the pontoon hardtop and then using a Water Resistant fabric on the rest would be advantageous.
The cover would be on when boat is not in use. Michigan winter, 50" snow a year.
Thanks, Dan

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Just have it made out of Sunbrella it is almost water proof seal up the seams or have them sealed when its built and wash it off in the spring before you take it off, It breathes well. Its strong fact is you cant tear it unless its really sun rotted. Build supports in low areas to funnel water off but strong enough to support snow.

I wash my boats up in the fall and cover them often put away wet but clean because its usually raining cats and dogs when I finally retire them for the year. When I open them in the spring I rarely do more than rinse the dust away fact is I didnt even rinse my big boat I threw fishing gear in it and headed to the ocean. You would have never known that it wasn’t plastic wrapped and stored inside.

ahicks

Captain
Located near Pontiac Mi. (Waterford) and have a '99 24' boat with a hard top. We leave it "up" and don't cover it, and it's been fine for quite a few years. We do cover the boat underneath it with a winter cover. Noteworthy maybe, is that the boat winters in an area that gets quite a bit of wind. I have seen 18" of wet heavy snow up there, but it's something I try not to think of. I'd be scared to touch it!

I'm thinking that id you did try and cover it, you're adding even more snow load unless you support it better some how. Further, the cover is not going to have much, or any, air circulation underneath it, between the skin of the hard top and the cover. The result of that lack of circulation is pretty predictable, plus, that will be the high point on the boat so it will collect moisture up there.

Bottom line, I wouldn't cover it.

djnordeen

Seaman
Ok I see that issue, cover on the hardtop. ahicks I am in Lansing. My boat is like this one. Snow load is a concern. I have been over-thinking how to store the boat. Hardtop up, hardtop down, ect. With the top down you could support the top underneath and then cover.

Attachments

• photo321764.jpg
    photo321764.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 0

djnordeen

Seaman
Ok, So I decided to cover the boat with the hardtop up. Is there a company that sells a cover that will accommodate the supports.

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
i would drop,the hardtop and cover with a good quality poly tarp from harborfreight.

you could lay some 2X4 across and one down the centerline

100 ft of rope

total 100 bucks. will last you at least tenyears

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Once you go Sunbrellla all other covers will be mediocre.

I build a Skelton for my boats out of 2x4s one boat I only need on in the rear the other both ends. Takes a really good rain to figure out low spots and how to make that skeleton do what you want shed water and support deep wet snow and ice. Once you get that figured out a sunbrella cover will not only protect your boat but I wash my boat up in the falll cover it and when i uncover it in the spring or summer its ready to go. Last year my neighbor re did his yard and driveway everything within 50 feet of his property line was always covered in dirt. Not inside my boats I popped the covers expecting to have to scrub but not the case.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If the OP comes back after 4 months, he can ask a Mod to reopen this thread. Meanwhile - Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.