Mercury Verado too heavy?

mckinney004

Seaman Apprentice
I'm considering replacing my current (blown) motor with a Mercury Verado, but I'm concerned it may be too heavy. The boat is a 1993 Lund Baron 2100, rated for 200 hp. I currently have a 2 stroke Mariner 175 Magnum EFI on it. I found a 200 hp Verado for a good price and would love to have a 4 stroke. However, I just realized the weight difference is 300 lbs! Should I be concerned? On one hand, its no different than a fat guy sitting on the back of the boat, on the other, its nearly twice as heavy as the current engine. Any advice?

mckinney004

Seaman Apprentice
Also, what differences are there in the torque of one engine over the other. I can't find any specs on that. Does one engine or the other put significantly more stress on the transom due to power/torque (not weight).

alldodge

Staff member
its no different than a fat guy sitting on the back of the boat

Its more then that, the motor is hanging off the back, not in front of the motor

There has been some wright ups on boatus on boats sinking because of this very issue. The extra weight places the stern real close to the water line. Doesn't take much to have a wave come over it.

Suggest looking at the same year 2 cycle motor at 200 hp and compare weight. The 200 will probably not move the boat any better (might be worst) then the 175 because of the weight difference.