Ride quality

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
"Most North American boats are the same really." Have you had too much of the juice......again?

What's your experience with Glastron? Apparently not much!

Not sure I get you really ? To what does your “again” comment relate too ?
anyway. I have a glastron now haha. Love it. But it’s not for anything more than a light chop.
I have a Canadian Campion currently too. Better hull with deeper v...but still not good in a chop at all.
had a few bayliner too. Same.
90% of the boats that come across here don’t do well in the west of Scotland conditions at all. Just not meant for it really.
I don’t mean to be derogatory about it at all. There are good rough water American boats. Just that they aren’t too common perhaps. Price will be a lot to do with it. You get what you pay for really. U.K. built boats are so expensive...hence the reason that North American boats are so popular even here. It’s a good thing too. If there were only UK built boats available here. Nobody could possibly afford to get on the water at first.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
You guys play nice now. A pal has an older Campion, a great solid barge, she handles the Great Lakes just fine. Lake Erie is a test for any boat. There are hundreds on the lake bottom of Erie dating back to the Voyageurs. Maybe thousands not hundreds. Another ? for that Google lady.

The list of large vessels sunk here is too long to count. Divers are still discovering ships sunk as far back as the 1700's. Including small vessels the count must be in the thousands.

Last edited:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
You guys play nice now. A pal has an older Campion, a great solid barge, she handles the Great Lakes just fine. Lake Erie is a test for any boat. There are hundreds on the lake bottom of Erie dating back to the Voyageurs. Maybe thousands not hundreds. Another ? for that Google lady.

The list of large vessels sunk here is too long to count. Divers are still discovering ships sunk as far back as the 1700's. Including small vessels the count must be in the thousands.

The campion is better than my glastron for sure...but still manages to throw the G&T all over the other half on occasion.
the U.K. fletcher I have of the same size is far deeper and sharper V. Mich better in the rough. But also much tippier than the campion for stability. A side effect of a narrow deep v I suppose. The campion is at least a foot or two wider.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The campion is better than my glastron for sure...but still manages to throw the G&T all over the other half on occasion.
the U.K. fletcher I have of the same size is far deeper and sharper V. Mich better in the rough. But also much tippier than the campion for stability. A side effect of a narrow deep v I suppose. The campion is at least a foot or two wider.

Please indulge me mate. What is a G&T? I know what a U.K. is. Exactly why sometimes it's The U.K., sometimes Great Britain, sometimes The British Commonwealth can be confusing even for a Canadian.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Please indulge me mate. What is a G&T? I know what a U.K. is. Exactly why sometimes it's The U.K., sometimes Great Britain, sometimes The British Commonwealth can be confusing even for a Canadian.

Haha. It’s a gin and tonic, of course !

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Haha. It’s a gin and tonic, of course !

OK QBhoy. Here when we were kids we called G&T something else, not for prime time typing. I still don't know the difference between the U.K. and Great Britain though.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
OK QBhoy. Here when we were kids we called G&T something else, not for prime time typing. I still don't know the difference between the U.K. and Great Britain though.

Haha. I won’t ask then.
don’t think there is a difference between Great Britain and the UK. The former being something you don’t hear too much of now.
The sooner we Scots get independence, the better ! Freedom !! Haha.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Haha. I won’t ask then.
don’t think there is a difference between Great Britain and the UK. The former being something you don’t hear too much of now.
The sooner we Scots get independence, the better ! Freedom !! Haha.

To add to the confusion throw in an independent Northern Ireland. Or is it already part of the U.K? I think I had better do some of my own research. Lazy sod that I am. Bullocks. N.B. no auto correct for Bullocks, not yet anyway.

Sorry, the O.P.'s head must be spinning.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Personally I think an inboard would have a better ride in an exact comparison to a point. While the weight alone will improve ride quality in waves and current the placement of that weight further forward and lower will have a bigger impact. I know when I put my trolling motor on my IO toss a 5 gallon fuel tank back there as well my boats ride quality and speed go south however for a fact I can carry literally What is more than 10 times the weight of that outboard placed evenly in the boat and barely can tell the weights there the example of that would be 6 200 to 250 pound men in that boat without the trolling motor and fuel I am 4 MPH faster and can handle waves and the control is better than with two of those guys and the trolling motor which only weighs about 100 pounds with fuel tank maybe 130 to 140 but hanging at the back of the boat its a substantial change in handling.

Now I have to ask how a boat thats 24 plus feet with twin outboards would perform with the same HP inboard or inboards moved forward would it handle better and if so why are so many powered with OB

mr 88

Commander
Now I have to ask how a boat thats 24 plus feet with twin outboards would perform with the same HP inboard or inboards moved forward would it handle better and if so why are so many powered with OB

The twin outboards with the same hp will perform better for a few reasons. The ability to trim the motor will alter the drag and speed. The HP to weight ratio is in favor of the outboards . Since you will get better mpg with the outboards the fuel tanks are usually smaller , less weight to carry.There may be less drag, with the inboards struts and large rudders being the culprit .BTW inboards with V drives are placed in the stern not helping your mid length theory of ride quality with more of the weight in the center of the boat theory. Not really disputing it, just saying. I also think the designers place things differently when they are hanging OBs vs a inboard. Lastly ,a great percentage of boats are sold in the salt laden waters of the USA and for the fishermen that are buying a majority of them find that it's a lot easier [ and more expensive ] to swap out power plants with the OB. Now you can hang 3 350's off the stern, cruise at 50 mph with a 24* deadrise CC and be at your destination in half the time vs a inboard with a 19* deadrise,so there's that to consider for the deep pocket want it now buyers.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Really it's all about how the weight is distributed...

That's for sure!

Except for this, the rest of this thread is difficult to understand. For instance, why would one multiply lbs. by ft., and still get lbs? You get lb-ft if you multiply those. Please pay attention to units of measure when you "do math"

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
:popcorn: just going to sit here and entertain myself.