Time to re-upholster - Formula 330 SS

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Nice work!
I would think once installed and out in the elements most of your wrinkles/puckering will flatten out ...

tpenfield

Staff member
Here is today's progress. I Made the first seat covering. Not perfect . . . a few boo-boos. I'll be making a few adjustments to the pattern cutting and the stitching sequence to hopefully make things a bit better & easier.

Here are a couple of pics . . .
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3689.JPG Views:	1 Size:	157.1 KB ID:	10817765
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3687.JPG Views:	1 Size:	169.6 KB ID:	10817766
I am liking the green, after all of the trial and error on the color matching, although it is showing a bit darker than reality in these pics.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
No quilting? ;)

Looks great Ted. Once you dial it in a bit, it'll look amazing.

tpenfield

Staff member
Working on my curved pieces which make up the 'end caps' for the vinyl skins.

I think I got the alignment marks pretty well figured out.

The top stitching came out much better as I gave a 1" seam allowance and then trimmed the excess off after it was top stitched.

Just got to make the other end cap and then make a new panel set.

Gluing the foam to the vinyl is becoming a pain, as I am using water-based contact cement, since I am working inside. the glue needs to be applied to both the foam and the vinyl backing, then allowed to dry for about 30 minutes. That does not seem to be enough because the glue seems to be staying wet longer than that and does not stick together. :rolleyes:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Just saw your thread on here about your upholstery and canvas work. Good work so far

The thread I have been using is called Solarfix PTFE. It's awesome thread and blows away polyester thread. When I bought a spool of it years back, It was $185/lb so not cheap.

I use the 2000 size. Haven't used it on vinyl yet but may be doing that this winter.
https://www.miamicorp.com/default.a...stomerpages/solarfix_thread.htm&Page=customer

This is the Sunbrella binding I buy for next time you do a cover.
https://www.outdoorfabriccentral.com...sunbrella.html
I get it from a wholesaler so it's a lot cheaper than that.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Just saw your thread on here about your upholstery and canvas work. Good work so far

The thread I have been using is called Solarfix PTFE. It's awesome thread and blows away polyester thread. When I bought a spool of it years back, It was $185/lb so not cheap.

I use the 2000 size. Haven't used it on vinyl yet but may be doing that this winter.
https://www.miamicorp.com/default.as...&Page=customer

This is the Sunbrella binding I buy for next time you do a cover.
https://www.outdoorfabriccentral.com...sunbrella.html
I get it from a wholesaler so it's a lot cheaper than that.

I got most of my supplies from Sailrite and they have Tenara rather than Solarfix. I think they are basically the same though.

I made the binding tape using a forming tool. I’m glad the canvas work is done. :)

I need to grab a few more power tools from the summer house. Then I can be making the new plywood bases for the seats.

It looks like I’ll only need to re-make a few pieces, now that the seat assemblies have dried out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ted, my experience with formerly wet plywood that dries out in seat bases and backs is the plies separate which was what happened on my boat YMMV

tpenfield

Staff member
Ted, my experience with formerly wet plywood that dries out in seat bases and backs is the plies separate which was what happened on my boat YMMV

OK. duly noted. I will take a closer look as I disassemble the seats.

tpenfield

Staff member
Vinyl Upholstery Update . . .

I re-made the skin that I had a few issues with . . .

Here are a bunch of pictures in progression:
Main panel and end caps . . .
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3698.JPG Views:	1 Size:	76.5 KB ID:	10818508
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3706.JPG Views:	1 Size:	70.5 KB ID:	10818512
I got the top stitching straight on this skin. It will be a keeper :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_3698.JPG
    IMG_3698.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3699.JPG
    IMG_3699.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3700.JPG
    IMG_3700.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3703.JPG
    IMG_3703.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3705.JPG
    IMG_3705.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 7

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Ted,

Not sure I see where you created your pleated channels. What size foam did you use?

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks Guys :)

I think I have 13 pieces to make total. So, that is 1 down 12 more to go :facepalm:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ted it appears that you have figured the upholstery thing out!!!!! Looking very good!!! Keep it up!!

Hutchmike

Recruit
I am also planning to re-upholster my precious boat next year to have a new look.