Time to re-upholster - Formula 330 SS

tpenfield

Staff member
Almost forgot about the mooring cover :noidea:

So, upholstery will be another week out. Probably will do an HD/Lowes run for the plywood over the Thanksgiving weekend.

tpenfield

Staff member
. . . And wouldn’t you know it, shortly after the green vinyl arrived I can across another green that is potentially a better match. :facepalm:

Spradling Islander Everglade is the name, so I have a sample on order.

alldodge

Staff member
. . . And wouldn’t you know it, shortly after the green vinyl arrived I came across another green that is potentially a better match. :facepalm:

Spradling Islander Everglade is the name, so I have a sample on order.

Seems to never fail

Reserector_

Chief Petty Officer" & 2021 Splash of the Year Win
How perfect does it have to be? Once you replace it all, there will be no original material to compare to. Or will it gnaw at you forever?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Update . . .

I ordered the pink vinyl. This is the stuff that Formula used. There is a company in CT that bought the remaining supply of legacy colors from Formula. The owner told me that someone came in and bought a large supply just before me (like 20 yards) . . . Really :eek: . . . that color :rolleyes:

He also sent me a sample of the 'seafoam'/green, but it did not seem to match. The sample was more blue than green. So, I sent him a swatch of the original material from my seat covers to see where that leads.

I am ordering my other materials and supplies. . . mostly from Sailrite.

QUESTION for those following along:

THREAD SIZE ???
:noidea:

I have got a lifetime supply of 'Groz-Beckert' 135x17 needles Nm 160/23 that came with the machine. They seem to be fine for the vinyl.

I plan on buying either the Tenara or Profilen thread. There is V-92 or V-138 size thread. I am thinking it is the V-92 that I should use??? Just not sure :noidea:

TIA.

Sorry for the Delay. I've been SWAMPED with upholstery work and working harder now that I'm retired than I did when I was WORKING!!! If you're going to TopStitch and use Flat Felled Seams and you want the Thread to be noticeable then use the 138 and a #22 or #23 needle. For plain stitching use 92 thread and #19 or #20 needle. Stitch length should be 6 - 8 mm. Polyester UV resistant thread or the Tenara.

https://www.thethreadexchange.com/m...=CTGY&Category_Code=needles_thread_size_chart

tpenfield

Staff member
Sorry for the Delay. I've been SWAMPED with upholstery work and working harder now that I'm retired than I did when I was WORKING!!! If you're going to TopStitch and use Flat Felled Seams and you want the Thread to be noticeable then use the 138 and a #22 or #23 needle. For plain stitching use 92 thread and #19 or #20 needle. Stitch length should be 6 - 8 mm. Polyester UV resistant thread or the Tenara.

https://www.thethreadexchange.com/m...=CTGY&Category_Code=needles_thread_size_chart

Thanks WoG. I have the Tenara 138 and it seems to be working out. I am stitching in the 6-7mm range.

tpenfield

Staff member
How perfect does it have to be? Once you replace it all, there will be no original material to compare to. Or will it gnaw at you forever?

Close match would be fine. Not a perfect match. . .

I'm just not in love with the green that I 'settled' on (too dark), so if there is something I overlooked before, then it's worth consideration.

tpenfield

Staff member
It is a good thing I am doing this vinyl and canvas work now, because it looks like we may be hanging onto this boat for longer than expected.

We got to pay for a wedding and we had put a pile of money aside for it, but the cost looks like it will be higher . . . so there goes the new boat fund :facepalm: :noidea:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
We got to pay for a wedding and we had put a pile of money aside for it, but the cost looks like it will be higher . . . so there goes the new boat fund :facepalm: :noidea:

feel for you Ted.....

southkogs

Staff member
I'll have two to handle in the next few years ... the only new boat I'll have in the near future is one I can make from Bradford Pear trees ;)

Great work Ted. I don't have much to add to the process, but I've been watching the topic. Looks fantastic.

tpenfield

Staff member
Color Sample Update:

I got the newest 'green' vinyl sample yesterday . . . it turned out to be more blue than green. So, it looks like I am set on the green that I ordered. 'Morbern Deep Sea'

tpenfield

Staff member
Canvas Update - Mooring Cover. . .

I made the rough material for the mooring cover today.

4 Panels sewn together and top-stitched.

IMG_3659.JPG
The dimensions are 9' 6" x 16' 3" . . . a bit bigger than my table :eek: . I'll use the old cover to get an outline of the shape. Here is a detail photo of the seams.
IMG_3660.JPG

tpenfield

Staff member
Quick Update . . .

I've been learning about 'Bias Tape' aka 'Binding Tape', which forms the edging around most canvas items. My current mooring cover looks to have a 1" wide 'tape' wrapped around the perimeter edges. I found out that you can either buy pre-made tape or buy a tool to make your own. I ordered a tool to make the 1" tape, since I have enough Sunbrella material left over.

Also, I read up on 'puckering' which is the tendency for the sewn seam to 'shrink' up a bit. You can see bit of 'puckering' along the seam in the photo of the mooring cover panels above. It seems that the things to do to minimize puckering are to have a longer stitch length and to avoid excessive tension for the thread.

I can see how you would get puckering with canvas, given the greater seam lengths. Not sure if it will be an issue with the vinyl. :noidea:

Just wondering if others have experienced the same and any related tips to avoid problems.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
To avoid puckering make sure to not stretch the upper or lower panels, clean your feed dogs, and wax your machine platform. It’s all about feed rate. If the top snd bottom panels feed at the same rate..,no puckering. Velvet is th worst. Fuzzy top slick backside. Hard to feed consistently

tpenfield

Staff member
To avoid puckering make sure to not stretch the upper or lower panels, clean your feed dogs, and wax your machine platform. It’s all about feed rate. If the top snd bottom panels feed at the same rate..,no puckering. Velvet is th worst. Fuzzy top slick backside. Hard to feed consistently

Thanks, WoG . . . Remember that I have a needle feed, walking foot machine (Consew 206RB-4). I assume the needle will be determining the feed, which would be consistent top & bottom. :noidea: Would the tensioning of the thread also play a part?

tpenfield

Staff member
Canvas work is done . . .

At least for now. I completed the new mooring cover today.
IMG_3668.JPG
Here are a few detail pics . . .

IMG_3676.JPG
I got the supplies for OTWS to seal up the plywood backings.

Next steps are to disassemble the seats and see if I can use any of the existing plywood. I also bought a couple 2x4 sheets of 1/2" exterior to fix what I already know is not usable.

Attachments

• IMG_3675.JPG
    IMG_3675.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3673.JPG
    IMG_3673.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3672.JPG
    IMG_3672.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3671.JPG
    IMG_3671.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3674.JPG
    IMG_3674.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3667.JPG
    IMG_3667.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 3

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Great work....... When do you start receiving patterns?