DIY Upholstery & Canvas Repair Advice

tpenfield

Staff member
I am compiling the list of fix-its for the boat to do over the winter. I've got a couple of items that will need a sewing machine . . .

1) Vinyl seats are starting to crack. Plan is to make new seat coverings and replace the old. Most of the seats are fairly simple. The helm seat is the most complicated, but that may not need replacing.

2) Bimini Needs new zippers. Rip out the old zippers, stitch in new ones.

3) Mooring Cover stitching is coming apart. Probably could just re-sew the seams.

The Admiral did some repair work on the bimini a couple of years ago, using a household machine and it was nearly impossible. So, I figure that I better get an upholstery machine to do this work.

In my limited search so far, it looks like I should get a 'walking foot' machine. Cost-wise, I am probably looking at a portable machine, unless I can find a used complete industrial table unit locally.

It seems like the Sailrite LS-1 is a good bet, but there are a few other portable models, like the Consew CP206R and the REX-607.

In checking some of the older threads on the subject, the Singer 15-91 was mentioned, but that does not look like a walking foot machine (???)

Just wondering what some of the 'experts' think :noidea:

BTW - I am planning on selling the boat, but that is about 2 years away, so I figure I should fix things before they become a total mess and affect the ability to sell.

Woodonglass Corjen1 bruceb58

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The 15-91 Is a great little machine but its NOT anything like a Walking Foot. You could do the work with the 15-91 especially if it's only 2 Layers of vinyl. No Problem When you get to 4 layers (that's what you have if you want welt cord (piping) trim it does become a bit more challenging but still doable. The man issue is uneven feeding due to the fact that the 15-91 only pulls the vinyl from the bottom feed dogs. Walking foots pull from both the top and the bottom so you get a much more uniform feed rate and thus evenly spaced stitching. The Sailrite machine you mentioned has a maximum stitch length of 6mm and this is the MINIMUM length you want to use for Vinyl 8mm is the preferred length and that's only available on the Walking Foot. The 15-91 does 6mm. but again unless you practice a lot and learn to "Assist" the feed dogs by pulling on the back of the vinyl, your stitches will NOT be of uniform length. I did my boat seats with the 15-91 and they have NOT come apart but since I've use the walking foot I realize it would have been much easier and better to have done them with it. As you state, the biggest issue is the price. If you're lucky you can find a good used one for $300 - 600 but usually more like $800-1000. When you're done you could sell it for the same as you paid for it but it might take some time. I'd recommend a Consew 225 series, Juki 280 series, or a Pfaff. 145 series PM me if you want to discuss further.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My wife has a $2000 "regular" machine that she uses for her craft business, but it works fine for sunbrella and such. My gut feeling is it doesn't need to be an industrial machine, just a good one.

Eons ago I had custom canvas made for a brand new boat I was buying that didn't come with an OEM set. The guy did a lousy job and the zippers on the top needed to be removed and relocated in order to make the side curtains line up right. It was worse afterwards. All the stitch holes from the original install stood out like many sore thumbs.

Also eons ago I ripped the seam of a canvas mooring cover (cotton duck I believe). The wife sewed it together very nicely, but patched it rather than trying to resew the seam. I was afraid it would shrink it and it wouldn't fit. The "patch" was the same type material, so the color was OK, but you could see the patch, so some might find that objectionable.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The key to using a non-commercial machine is to find one with "metal gears:. I have an old Kenmore that has been a workhorse. It has made several boat and seat covers from quality, fabric backed vinyl to any of the other less thick materials. If you are buying from a "store" that sells used equipment, take the fabric with you and see how any particular machine performs.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
I sew quite a bit bought my first industrial machine new in 1984 it died about a month ago. Friday my new Sailrite Ultrafeed arrived over the weekend I built a stand Joining it to my 7’x12’ table and sewed three full bobbins through it over the weekend. 9 layers of Sunbrella forward an reverse stuffed 3/8” dock line wrapped with strapping material through it and made custom length knot free lines for my boat fenders both of those tasks are something that tells me it can handle material with ease.

If you want to learn to sew do a number of projects and tinker around a lot its a great machine. If you only plan to do one or two projects buy a used walking foot servo motor machine and go that route.

However if you like to sew you will find this machine urges you to find more projects I literally thought with just a few minutes use that it is fun to use. I am very happy with it. Buy the binding tool if you dont get the premium package. I spent most of my time sewing things with binding that comes out perfect its impressive. I will warn you bending is expensive Ive already purchased three colors in 100 yard spools I will be incorporating edge binding in so many places now.

Coming from a large old iron beast from Germany I never would have thought I would like this machine as much as I do. I am also surprised at how fast it sews its fast enough but smooth and easy enough for beginners to use but professionals will not feel like there wasting there time. Sailrite has a plethora of very good videos as well.

I do think it’s wide presser foot may hinder complex corners that are common in car upholstery and some boat seats and the throat is small meaning feeding really large pieces of work through this will be challenging at times but often the work can be sewn upside down its stitching is good on both the top and bottom side some machines are not near as good in this area.

The optional hand crank flywheel is impressive it actually sews fast enough by hand to accomplish quite a bit I can see doing repairs at the dock or marina without power if you could use repairs like this its a great feature. Saiilriite also has some full on large flat bed industrial machines that are prices very well. I would also look at them if a larger industrial machine is more desirable.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
There is one more reason I purchased the Sailrite ultrafeed that is the zig zag stitch. Something you wont find in very many walking foot machines.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Consew 226R is what I have. They aren't cheap normally. The motor is part of the table.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I don't have the machine in front of me so I am not positive.

EDIT: Looked at some videos and it looks like a triple feed machine. The needle walks back with the foot.

here is a good video to see it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPkcAOCSGbg

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
A quick update . . .

I have seen a few machines in the $500-700 range on FB and CL, including a Consew 225 and a Juki LU-562. I have not seen a complete/running Pfaff machine, and have not seen any Juki 280's.

As far as fabric, Formula uses Nautolex brand vinyl, but I have also come across Morbern as a decent vinyl. I'm thinking I'll get the Morbern Seabrook white and then the Nautolex ColorGuard for the 3 colors.

It seems like the better vinyls are: Morbern, Spralding, Nautolex, Naugahyde. Any others that are top-shelf? :noidea:

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Another tip I have now that I have given a couple new industrial machines a test drive. If your new to sewing with large industrial sewing machines get one with an adjustable servo motor. This will allow you to slow the machine down in speed but still have the power to motor through thick material. Clutch engaged machines require a little experience to get the tredle or pedal control right for many key areas in sewing. I had never used a servo powered machine until a few weeks ago it is impressive. I loved it so much that I installed one on my old machine. The motor belt and a new light ran less than $200 I recommend it for anyone looking at or that owns a clutch engaged motor on an industrial machine.

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, I have a feeling that some of the machines will be 'geared' to run too fast for my needs. I'll just have to see what I end up with. Once I get a machine and do the work, it will probably still be worth keeping for general sewing needs.

I do like the needle feed aspect of the consew and Juki models that I mentioned. The Sailrite and similar tabletop machines seem to be only double feed (i.e. top & bottom feed), but the needle itself does not feed the material.

I've always wondered how the professional upholstery looks so nice and the stitching is so even. . . it's all in the machine :)

Old Ironmaker

Captain
A great thread for me to follow. My wife does unbelievable work on her little Pffaf machine but a real industrial strength machine will make it much easier on her so I am going to see what you all recommend and I will buy her one. She is planning on retiring as soon as we sell our place and downsize. She has a list of people that want her to reupholster their stuff including Marine. Thanks. JD

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Here’s a example what the sailrite with the edge binding tool can do. Ive been sewing a long time but had never used an edge binding attachment it is an accessory worth having for sure. My wife sewed this today it was her first time on the sailrite she has always been afraid of my industrial machine. We have about 24 tire covers to make in total all my my family will get a little sewing experience with both machines before there all done.

Attachments

• E9B2DAD4-2E70-4C20-9D55-1E5CA29B4D41.jpeg
    E9B2DAD4-2E70-4C20-9D55-1E5CA29B4D41.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 1
  • A4BC883F-E555-4B31-B48C-881E532666C3.jpeg
    A4BC883F-E555-4B31-B48C-881E532666C3.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 7369577A-0D06-405F-BC3E-F8AF2FE24B88.jpeg
    7369577A-0D06-405F-BC3E-F8AF2FE24B88.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 1

tpenfield

Staff member
Question for the forum folks . . .

I saw a Sailrite 111 machine for sale (not the LS-1). Anybody have any information/opinion on that machine?

tpenfield

Staff member
I've come across a couple of other Sailrite 111's and the facelift version (Fabricator), but the asking price are a bit steep. A common theme with these machines are that the seller's say they are moving and can't take the machine with them ( yea right :rolleyes: )

Also, have found a couple of Consew 206RB-4, -5 machines . . . in the $800 - $1K range. Seems a little bit steep, but these machines are probably a whole lot better choice than the Sailrite. :noidea:

Another machine that I have found a few of is the Highlead GC0618-1-SC. Not sure if anyone has thoughts about the Highlead.

So far, it looks like my best bet is the Consew 206RB.

Overall, I'm finding pricing in the $800 - $1K range (and a few higher). Not much in the $500 range unless the machine is a lot older and needs some attention.

FB and CL seem to be the best sources for private listings. Not sure if there are any other good sources :noidea:

tpenfield

Staff member
Still looking for a machine. If I want to spend $800-$1K I can get pretty much any good machine. Coming closer to $500 is a bit tricky, I am finding.

Quick question . . . Someone mentioned that I would need a machine that can do at least a 6mm stitch length (about 4 spi). I measured the stitching on my seat covers and the seams are 3mm stitch length and the over stitching is about 5mm. I am finding some walking foot machines that go up to 5mm stitch length (5 spi), but that may be just enough to match the current stitching of the seat covers.

Not sure I would need anything over 6mm . . . :noidea:

tpenfield

Staff member
I'm going to take a look at a Consew 206RB-4 this afternoon. I hope this will work out. :)