My Regal Commodore is Listing too starboard side one inch ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan ber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Going from dry storage into a wet slip
2004 Regal
Commodore
twin 4.3 Volvo Penta
Length 30 ft
9.6 beam

Painted bottom , checked bellows , moved boat into a wet slip . Nice change
Dry storage no worries.
In a wet slip whole new set of issues

If my memory is correct , Boat NEVER FLOATED EVEN IN THE WATER
Issues that were not a concern are now a concern too find out why ?

LISTS 2 PORT ,
Marina has a few hundred boats ,
Marina has a employee ride in a dingy daily viewing the boats,
Talking with him he said he noticed my boat not sitting even , ? Saying too him , YES I know , cant find out why ? NO WATER IN BILGE , OR ANY AREA THAT I CAN SEE ,
There are cavities that I cant get too ??
Lay out the boat is the following
2 - 4.3 Volvo Penta engines . equal weights
PORT SIDE , GENERATOR - A/C
UNDER FLOOR - Fresh water holding under floor in cabin -
One gas tank , 105 gallons centered in middle under deck
STARBORD SIDE HAS - holding tank for waste , & hot water tank , 2 batteries

I have a 12/12 inch access cover 2 waste tank were the gauge & piping go into waste tank , No
water below
There is a DRAIN PLUG in bilge , ( not the main drain plug ) bottom of fire wall on starboard side

Rubber drain plug , removed was able too stick a wire coat hanger , clogged , with a hard substance ,
Should be clear
Cant bend down too work , maybe hammer out what ever is blocking ,

Bilge is dry
Is there a meter that can detect water build up ?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... It's more likely equipment, gear or "Stuff" you have on-board, rather than hidden water somewhere, causin' the list,....

alldodge

Staff member
My 27ft 9.5 beam does the same thing but to starboard side unless I fill the water tank (its on port side). The head is on the starboard side, frig and 2 bats on port and one on starboard, Gen is in the center.

You have bats and gen on port side but probably not enough on starboard to counter balance it

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Things like fridges do this. Even the gear in a locker somewhere too.
Worse would be that your antifoul paint is squint, haha.

tpenfield

Staff member
My boat lists to port by about 1”. So, in the big scheme of things it averages out a boat that lists to starboard.

I could move about 20 lbs of gear to starboard and it should even out.

Boats are not necessarily perfectly balanced and once you load them up with gear, all bets are off. V hulls tend to exaggerate any imbalance in the weight distribution.

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
My boat lists to port by about 1”. So, in the big scheme of things it averages out a boat that lists to starboard.

That's funny.

Mine does too. I could see it while we were out of it in the lake this morning, and it sometimes loads up on the trailer with just a slight lean like that My battery is on the left, but I don't know if that's enough to cause it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the floor in my boat is glued in 1/2" lower comparing to the gunwals on the port side than the starboard side......

oh.... not helping....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
My deep v fletcher does it too when still. Really annoys me.

alan ber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Regal Commodore model 2860 leaning towards starboard apx 2 inches ?

I have a 2004 Regal Commodore , model 2860 - 30 ft
powered by twin Volvo Penta 6 cylinders with duo props
Dry rack stored . WHEN SPLASHED NEVER LOOKED EVEN AT DOCK but never was concerned
Recently went from DRY STORAGE INTO A WET SLIP

Wet slip is a nice change , presents new challenges

Marina dock person checks on the boats , asking me about lean ?
Telling him , I know , cant figure out why Now in a wet slip I come down every few days using boat , Always checking sea cocks making sure bilge is dry
WHY IS BOAT LEANING TOWARDS PORT ?
All areas seem dry
Manufactures water line at rear is covered by salt water. Other side sits 2 inches higher then the line
Anti fowling paint not painted that high barnacles growing on the hull

There is a cabin drain plug too release any forward water , Drains into bilge ,
Pulled the black rubber plug out , expecting water too come out , Nothing
Sticking a long device into drain in theory it should be clear ? Its not ,
Something hard blocking whole opening

Regal has good customer support even for older models , My contact knows my model , longtime
employee
Asking him about lean & blocked drain ,
Saying I am going too tap opening with a hammer , He indicated not too do it , could puncture fuel tank or waste tank , Indicating drain is not near fuel tank but seems close too waste ,
Don't know if waste tank had movement blocking whole ?? Cant get that low too view
He did say remove the galley cabinet , can have some access too center of boat , DRY

I have a trailer took boat out of water for the Dorian Hurricane that missed us in Daytona ,
Brought too a shop for engine work ,
While there they removed NG Kohler gen
185 lbs of dead weight ( 4 rebuild ) Gen set was on opposite side , ( starboard )
Thinking boat is really going too lean since it does not have the 185 lbs
Launched boat yesterday , NOT MUCH OF A CHANGE , still leans too port

Here's what I am planning ,
Last resort , Get a surveyor
Always topping off fuel tank , this time I am letting it run low , too see if any change
Waste tank is on port side but always pumped empty

Posted something similar weeks ago , just wanted too pick your brains again

thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Posted something similar weeks ago , just wanted too pick your brains again

You never replied in the first thread, but now that the second thread has been moved here, you have replied. :facepalm:

Listing to port or listing to starboard? Text says port, title says starboard. Both posts, too. :confused:

Why don't you ask the marina guy how many boats are sitting exactly level? I bet it's a low number.

mr 88

Commander
Did you check it with a level ? Maybe your boot stripe or bottom paint was not evenly applied. Your first post you wrote the generator was on port side . Then you said when you removed it from the starboard side. Move your batteries to the opposite side of list along with anything of significant weight if it bothers you that much .Have you checked the exact placement of engines ? If one was off by a 1/4 " or so that may cause it... Or slap in back in dry storage so you don't have to look at it !

shrew

Lieutenant
If it's not an issue with unbalanced tanks (water tank to one side only), then my guess it is listing to the same side as the cabinets in the galley (where the fridge, cabinets, counter, and stuff is all loaded).

I used to have a 28 foot express that would list to the same side as the galley cabinets. batteries are also very heavy.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I have a Commodore that does the same.Helm,bathroom and galley all on the same side.How couild it not list?? I put more fuel in the port tank than the stbd.

roffey

Commander
Not sure about my boat, one inch would be hard to detect as I have no bottom paint. My next door neighbor's boat does list a little to one side as his swim platform is just above the water. Its never been a concern or even investigated. We never thought much about it?

alan ber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OKAY KIDS , FOLLOW UP .
Crazy Charlie has same boat. Same leaning issue
I was focused on generator / refrigerator / a/c unit all on installed on port side ,
Starboard so much less 2 batteries / hot water tank / waste holding tank.
Single 105 gallon Fuel tank centered under aft cabin decking
Single 25 gallons fresh water tank . centered under cabin floor
I never considered cabinets, galley , head , starboard side that Charlie indicated
SO that makes sense since boat is dry , I FEEL BETTER ,

After I posted last thread , port engine came out for an issue .
While it was out I pulled the NG Kohler 5 E generator .
Generator lots of rust ,crank shaft was frozen ( I got turning ) Starter was fried
Was hoping too find a Cheap O China after market starter , NO GO
Only Kohler available $ 500.00, ,
Pouring thousands or rebuilding of a old gas generator ( never used ) ?
I started generator often too keep parts moving ,
Generator was running, I was in cabin , looking up a huge cloud of smoke coming from under deck floor . Looked like boat was on fire .
During this week , spent time on generator , after a few days of soaking got crank moving.
Smoke that I witnessed under deck floor , was from starter . Same smell
With a new starter , moving crank , Good chance too get generator running , but spending $ 500 too test ?
Part number is 359924. Anybody know were I can get one ??
Plan was not too have a generator . Hoping too run without , less weight . gain storage ,
Knowing balancing would be an issue , figured I would take a chance . Since engine was out
I had access too generator . No back up plan like a good used . Re- building of mine a few months process , Finally I had a chance too work on generator , Shop I use is fair and wont charge a lot too pull engine and install replacement generator , but really wanted no generator .
Now my boat lists lot more .
Kicks & giggles I installed 12 - 15/15 patio concrete blocks. Each weights 30 lbs in the same
area of generator. BOAT IS NOW BALANCED = took 360 lbs too do it

Not riding around with 12 concrete patio blocks.
Only item I can move from starboard too port is 2 car batteries
Few Large heavy duty batteries for solar would help ( little )
I might be forced too purchase a generator so boat is leveled , BIT INSANE

HAVE YOU HUGGED YOUR BOAT TODAY ??

Pulse186

Cadet
My Regal 2660 had a slight list to port, wasn't an issue. Dealer said if I ordered the AC it would have been level, gee thanks guys, I just kept more beer in the starboard side cooler.

Anthony79

Recruit
My Regal Commodore 2665 does the same thing, about 1" to the Starboard. The best guess I can come up with is. My helm and seats are all right side, AC is about the center, the galley is port, water heater Starboard. I'm just thinking that the amount of gear and options are slightly favoring the right side.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
My Regal Commodore 2665 does the same thing, about 1" to the Starboard. The best guess I can come up with is. My helm and seats are all right side, AC is about the center, the galley is port, water heater Starboard. I'm just thinking that the amount of gear and options are slightly favoring the right side.
This thread is too old to post in.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.