Scarab 195 open or a Yamaha 190 FSH sport

briangcc

Commander
Just out of curiosity...have you checked different manufacturers? Almost every one of the major brands carries some sort of Ski & Fish model. While not a true bass boat it would keep an admiral happy with a full windshield and plush seats.

Mine's a convertible where I can pop the rear jump seats out into bases and then have a couple fishing pedestals - front & rear. Some manufacturers, like my Chap, offer their Ski & Fish models in both Outboard and I/O.

Might be something to consider...

bob880

Seaman
briangcc, that is very true. I was thinking about getting a bass boat with dual console so she has some protection. My 6 year old daughter will just want to drive. Plus, i see a lot of these boat have ski pedestals you can put in, it will work since would only be pulling a tube. Also, large rear deck can be used as a tanning platform when my daughter and I are slaying the bass. we shall see. ok, i'll go to bass pro shop and look if I have too.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If Momma ain't happy, nobody is happy.

I had a bass boat once. The wife would not go in it and even my 2 boys resisted. They are really built for only 2 people and then for fishing only. In the end, I got rid of it because I didn't like it either. No practical way to equip it with a bimini top and even I couldn't stand the heat on a hot Summer day. The wife HAS to have a top.

You're getting a lot of opinions, only you can decide. But just remember boating is the greatest family sport and if nobody else is on board (pun intended) its really a bummer.

So, here's my last suggestion. Our Boston Whaler outboard may be a good compromise. Its the best fishing boat I ever owned. The wife likes the bowrider best, but she also likes the Whaler and its our traveling vacation boat. Full Bimini top, the ability to install a pedestal seat and bow mounted trolling motor, bow mounted sundeck to lie down and huge freeboard for the youngins. When / if I have to thin the herd it'll be the last boat I ever sell. Ours is a little guy, but they make them quite a bit larger.

P6140054web.jpg ​​​​​​​

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Excellent. Hopefully I haven’t been too negative about things. I was going to mention about the Boston Whaler. What a superb quality boat.
Sometimes it great to buy a good used boat instead of a new boat.
The bass boat idea is some thought. They are incredible things, but perhaps you may need to be careful. If you have plenty experience then superb. If not...go easy, especially with the family on board. These things are stupid quick and perhaps a little edgy in anything but the calmest of waters.
Never owned one, but I do have a boat capable of similar speeds. All be it a heavy and very tame thing at high speed. Even this needs caution. Previously had a less forgiving British ex race boat with a big V6 smoker and foot throttle. She even had ballast tanks for turning at high speed. This was a handful at anything over 65.
Go easy anyway and enjoy.

bob880

Seaman
I really appreciate all the info! I need the pros and cons to make a purchase, the cost a lot and I would hate to make the wrong decision. With all of the info being given here I should be able to make a more educated guess on what is and isn't important.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I'm going to throw a wrench into the cog. MY StarCraft Superfisherman 190 is the most versatile boat ever. I can remove 2 seats and have a Bass boat, with a casting platform bow and stern. Remover the bow butt seat and have 4 seats for running about, skiing tubing etc. with a full windshield. I'd have to show you. Great for skiing etc.as you can remove the bow casting seat and replacing it with a bucket seat so the safety man faces the rear of the boat. Pop that seat back behind the windshield and 4 boaters go home dry. Or 4 dry and 2 wet up on the bow depending on the water.

Last edited:

jkust

Rear Admiral
I'm a huge fan of jet engines....in PWC's. Yamaha over Rotax for reliability and you couldn't give me a free non supercharged Yamaha and then tell me I couldn't immediately sell it. Technically, I'd keep it for my younger boy to ride to keep him off of the SHO. The superchargers in the Yamahas are like getting a free lunch. No maintenance and no hassle. I live at my lake house most of the summer here in MN and we use the Supercharged Waverunner constantly. Can't believe how reliable these things are. I also have a twin turbo V8 in my car and so have a bit of a penchant for power. It was a hard choice to not get the twin turbo v12 actually. A non supercharged waverunner/jet engine may as well not even exist in my world.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I'm a huge fan of jet engines....in PWC's. Yamaha over Rotax for reliability and you couldn't give me a free non supercharged Yamaha and then tell me I couldn't immediately sell it. Technically, I'd keep it for my younger boy to ride to keep him off of the SHO. The superchargers in the Yamahas are like getting a free lunch. No maintenance and no hassle. I live at my lake house most of the summer here in MN and we use the Supercharged Waverunner constantly. Can't believe how reliable these things are. I also have a twin turbo V8 in my car and so have a bit of a penchant for power. It was a hard choice to not get the twin turbo v12 actually. A non supercharged waverunner/jet engine may as well not even exist in my world.

Oh I’m not so sure. I think the VXR NA HO Yamaha might just surprise your SHO. They are amazing things now.
I have an older MR1 FXHO NA. With a few mods she is now at 64.3 gps. That’s sho speeds.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Oh I’m not so sure. I think the VXR NA HO Yamaha might just surprise your SHO. They are amazing things now.
I have an older MR1 FXHO NA. With a few mods she is now at 64.3 gps. That’s sho speeds.

Good point, but even a stage 1 tune and a ride plate to an FX Sho unleashes the true power of these things. A stage 3 is complete craziness. That's where the rubber meets the road, the untapped mega power the supercharged engines can achieve if someone was so inclined. The presence of the supercharger present opportunities that an NA is excluded from.
Same with my twin turbo V8, so many things that can be done to with ease due to the existence of forced induction.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Good point, but even a stage 1 tune and a ride plate to an FX Sho unleashes the true power of these things. A stage 3 is complete craziness. That's where the rubber meets the road, the untapped mega power the supercharged engines can achieve if someone was so inclined. The presence of the supercharger present opportunities that an NA is excluded from.
Same with my twin turbo V8, so many things that can be done to with ease due to the existence of forced induction.

Agree, but then you’re into reliability issues and mega money to do so. Not to mention the timing chain failure issue. Anyway. Both good skis and I’m sure you’ll agree that 64.3 gps from the big fx hull with a NA is good going.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral

Agree, but then you’re into reliability issues and mega money to do so. Not to mention the timing chain failure issue. Anyway. Both good skis and I’m sure you’ll agree that 64.3 gps from the big fx hull with a NA is good going.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Is the OP still around? I wonder what way he went? I always ask, how fast is too fast? As I get older the old "not fast enough" is now" too fast."

Old Ironmaker

Captain
briangcc, My 6 year old daughter will just want to drive. .

Yep, nothing like putting a 1st grader behind the wheel of a 60 MPH anything. Would you let her drive your car? I'm sure glad I don't boat in California. Here in Canada all persons behind the wheel of a motorized boat of any size and HP must have passed the Federal Safe Boaters Test.

briangcc

Commander
Depend on how its done...

My 7/5/2 yr old boys like to drive our boat and I do let them do so....under the following conditions:

1. I (or my admiral) are in the captain's chair.
2. I (or my admiral) have the kill lanyard attached to us.
3. I (or my admiral) have the "driver" sit on our lap and only turn the steering wheel, they do not get to adjust the throttle.
4. I (or my admiral) have complete control of the boat if corrections are needed.

Under these conditions, its OK in my mind to have my boys "drive" our boat.

Now...each of my boys is required to take a NYS Safe boating course if they are to operate a boat themselves. Earliest is age 10 and even at that age they are required to have an adult aboard...which seems silly in my mind. I can't imagine a 10 yr old being competent enough to captain a powered boat. They should be 16 to operate the boat, same as a car as both are guided missiles under power. But...its NYS law so 10 it is with an adult on board.

Now...if they instead want to operate a Jet Ski they have to be 16 and pass the same boater safety course. Again, NYS law.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Depend on how its done...

My 7/5/2 yr old boys like to drive our boat and I do let them do so....under the following conditions:

1. I (or my admiral) are in the captain's chair.
2. I (or my admiral) have the kill lanyard attached to us.
3. I (or my admiral) have the "driver" sit on our lap and only turn the steering wheel, they do not get to adjust the throttle.
4. I (or my admiral) have complete control of the boat if corrections are needed.

Under these conditions, its OK in my mind to have my boys "drive" our boat.

Now...each of my boys is required to take a NYS Safe boating course if they are to operate a boat themselves. Earliest is age 10 and even at that age they are required to have an adult aboard...which seems silly in my mind. I can't imagine a 10 yr old being competent enough to captain a powered boat. They should be 16 to operate the boat, same as a car as both are guided missiles under power. But...its NYS law so 10 it is with an adult on board.

Now...if they instead want to operate a Jet Ski they have to be 16 and pass the same boater safety course. Again, NYS law.

You are a responsible boater. All your conditions mirror mine. Now my kids are in their 40's, own their own boats and are responsible citizens as well.