Slightly over powered?

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 125 horse power force on a mid 1980s Bayliner center console. I replaced the deck and added some reinforcement to the stringers a few years ago. It looks like I have a bad cylinder on my 125 horse outboard. I have 150 horse force outboard in the garage. The boat is rated at maximum 130 hp. Is there something I could do to beef up the transom to safely use that 150 horse? I rarely open it up above 4K rpm anyway. To roughwear I finish. Too rough where I fish. But once in a while I take it to a lake in New Hampshire and do crank it up.

Jiggz

Captain
I suggest you go the main forum and check on the Boat Repairs forum. There's a lot of info about re-doing the transom or re-inforcing it.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Transom question. Upgrade to 150 hp?

I have looked around for a post or sticky on transom upgrades. Is there one I missed?

I have a 125 horse power force on a mid 1980s Bayliner center console. I replaced the deck and added some reinforcement to the stringers a few years ago. It looks like I have a bad cylinder on my 125 horse outboard. I have 150 horse force outboard in the garage. The boat is rated at maximum 130 hp. Is there something I could do to beef up the transom to safely use that 150 horse? I rarely open it up above 4K rpm anyway. Too rough where I fish. But once in a while I take it to a lake in New Hampshire and I do crank it up.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Unless the transom is rotten, it should be just fine, as is,.....

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 150 was rated the best power to weight ratio of all the outboards introduced then.
It might be too heavy?

The sticker on the boat is a guide and if it's on the boat and the motors too big?
The Coast Guard can cause trouble.

If the stickers not there??

All you can do is try.

ahicks

Captain
My main concern would be regarding weight. If I were convinced that the boat could handle that well, I'd go for it. Just don't get stupid with it.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Do you really think that a 20+ year old force outboard motor is making its rated 150 HP? Its probably not much heavier than the 125 either so if the transom is sound it should be fine. You could paint new numbers on it and make it a 130 ;).

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Luckily for me the 125 cover fits the 150 power head. So as long as USCG doesn’t look under the hood....

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Do you really think that a 20+ year old force outboard motor is making its rated 150 HP? Its probably not much heavier than the 125 either so if the transom is sound it should be fine. You could paint new numbers on it and make it a 130 ;).

Yep, it's a big deal here in Ontario Canada to overpower a boat beyond design parameters on the Federal placard. I have however seen many 150's become 115's with a little graphics magic. Force outboard that old? Probably nowhere close to 150 horse today I wholeheartedly agree. Probably not close to 150 new. I would confirm it's output before turning a single wrench.

jerryjerry05 you say
Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!! In 2011 I buy a brand spanking new Chevy Silverado and am proud as this Canadian Peacock to show it to my favorite Uncle from Western NY. Worked at the Tonawanda GM Engine plant for 40 years. He looks at the vehicle ID plate on the drivers door and tells me it was made in freekin Mexico!!! I tried Jerry, I tried.

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Force outboards were powerhead rated and rarely put out advertised power at the prop. There is about a 12-15% power loss (sometimes more) on Force outboards. Some of the older Force 50 hp were only about 35 at the prop. If you can handle the weight and things are strong you will probably get away with it.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Insurance companies don't care how the engines are rated 150 hp is a 150 hp. You can't just say it's okay because of powerhead vs prop ratings. People who tell you it's okay sure aren't going to be there if you get sued. Your boat is rated for 130 hp for a reason and mid 80s put your boat in the powerhead rating era. A lot of bad advice about overpowering here up to you if you want to take it or not.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Insurance companies don't care how the engines are rated 150 hp is a 150 hp. You can't just say it's okay because of powerhead vs prop ratings. People who tell you it's okay sure aren't going to be there if you get sued. Your boat is rated for 130 hp for a reason and mid 80s put your boat in the powerhead rating era. A lot of bad advice about overpowering here up to you if you want to take it or not.

True and also the 4 stroke newer motors are heavier too...........many companies rated different ways too

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Y’all abouta take all the fun outa bein’ a redneck! Just kidding, I appreciate the advice.