1970 Starcraft chieftain restore

Star01

Seaman
Hey fellas. I see what Bondo is talking about. Chine that run along the full length of hull. And I see how those braces would stiffen up the hull. I see you stopped at about the cabin area. Is it strong enough from that point to bow ? I’ll take a bevel square and get those made up. Looks like a very good idea. No cracks I have found as of yet. But improvements to structure always a good idea. Did you have to notch floor around those braces. Will be covered by side panels. Ordered my 1/2 marine ply yesterday. Standard 1/2 23.00. This stuff 78.00 a sheet. Still thinking I want to seal it after install. What’s best? And you think thin layer of glass is the way to go. Going to put down a good vinyl flooring. I’m a long way from that install. But like having material here so when I have time. I’m not waiting on material. Also what about the gulvit. Use. Don’t use. Thanks for all the advice mates.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
No notching of the deck, it doesn't extend that far and yeah the side panels cover the deck edge. On the deck sealing, there's 2 popular methods, to use the OTF formula with Spar urethane or just the Spar and others use epoxy resin.

You could keep going with the braces but there starts to be a lot going on up in the bow that makes it more difficult and less of a necessity.

The factory started putting the braces in mid 70's on and there are bends in the rib ends to accommodate the braces under them. This cured the possibility of the rib ends hull cracking which is the most common issue I see. I thought about trying to put the braces under the ribs but it makes things out of whack with no bends in the rib ends so I opted for doing the best I could.

Here is what my 79 SS braces looks like, as you can see there aren't as many ribs as in the Chief and they have the braces under the ends.

y4m9siMv5MAg-T5aPMizszWWaY8KmxqzGA_plRWvxLZXxGwhQk7vuf3H-2cx4SViYAKo9ossMDoYnEMKEjAzIt33AzMYqnuVMsViM15XK46OKUdEilas5zRbjhh1LElHDmuGwyA-3BLTshg9K9QSnnFzJJmukLisHcuXXW_5_uHMvYKpyetlnbMVkOi3Jumh65y01_wAXdYqcfkKwcceNJ0IQ

Star01

Seaman
Ok I see how they changed it under rib supports. Your way in chief looks good. Still supporting hull. Ties floor and sides together taking strain off that chine. Or at least helping. Definitely going to do that. Doing mor work to the chief this weekend. Stripping her down further. Thanks for the pics. And advice guys.

Star01

Seaman
Hey fellas. So I have the inside of chief down to ribs. I’ll try to get pics loaded later. Have to figure out how each time. Want to pressure wash it. The still wondering if I should gulvit the bottom even though I had no leaks. Advice? Going to order the aluminum sheet to make the braces to support the chine. Am I right in thinking .063. Will that be thick enough.? Watermans idea I like. Last Question for now. Ned to remove all glass. Top windshield and cabin. Plus side windows to remove the vinyl from cabin roof. Once I do that is there a place to get New seals to reinstall after painted ? Or try to keep seals in tacked. The cabin plexiglass windshield is in good shape. But Po used white silicone caulk in a lot of places around that windshield. Thank for the help

Watermann

I used .080 for my braces but that's what I had on hand, .060 is what the gunnels, supports and the braces on my SS are bent from I believe.

Windshield base seal, I've used this, found it at the Home Depot in store.

y4mjZBG8drpGNTB2squGjCCjTx0hn3aDJlwUb61C0Lf9rMVAKoi13EvklXRbBW1zbb3U3tTkoQ94NLrKGjJM1nDBkfnsm9XI2zdNs8ttS1jewqtQcic7fdkwZPnOthBkyCDwOdMg7nkaIIfNF54UVZ2O8tgb9JNGd5sQSKjXshmNfk3_0iD2XJM8WN2iLjSg90nR_9pieG1qVDkRnHu3ZCI4A

Star01

Seaman
Thanks watermann. I do appreciate your help here. Did you use gulvit on your seams. If you think I should I’ll order it right away. If not worth it I won’t. With new braces and new solid Rivits. That’s a lot of Rivits. Just wondering. Thanks again

Star01

Seaman
Haven’t been able to work on chief for couple weeks next pressure wash. Remove all glass and vinyl top. Slow but steady.

Attachments

• photo321775.jpg
    photo321775.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member
Am I right in thinking .063. Will that be thick enough.?

Ayuh,...... That's what yer hull is built with, so I'd say, yes,.....

If ya go heavier, it'll create hard spots which will cause cracks in the thinner stuff where they meet,.....

Watermann

I would use gluvit on the seams, especially the keel area as it takes a lot of abuse over the years.

Your chief has 3 different thicknesses of AL used in the hull. The bottom is .090, sides .080 and transom .100. The gunnels are the thinnest at .060.

emoney

Commander
Did you decide to pull the motor for this, btw? I noticed the "transom" conversation got a little derailed. You'll definitely want to inspect it towards the bottom. That last pic you shared, zoom in it looks kinda dark down there. Just a thought since you're going all the way on this. No sense skimping on the big things.

It's gonna be great when you're done and something you'll be mighty proud of. Keep it up!

Star01

Seaman
Thanks guys. Well I have battled with my thoughts. Pull motor and lower unit. Or leave it alone. Taking it down to bare aluminum for sure. Thinking how do I go all the way with the bottom if I can’t turn it over. I live in northern NY. Have a decent size garage. Boat fit in cause 12’ ceilings. But never insulated or plywood over studs. Sooo last 4 weekends fully insulated. All walls done. Heats like a charm. Soooo decided if waterman can do it and turn out so nice. I HAVE TO. Not fair to my boat to cut any corners. Want to rework trailer also. So pulling all apart. So I can turtle it. Really check transome. And replace if at all compromised. No the misses is so excited about the cabin. She knows I will go the distance. And what the heck. I want to know exactly how the motor and out drive work. Just bought a 60 gal two stage compressor. Piping around garage. When time to paint I want the most advantage I can to come out right. So this little beauty lit a fire , going to take a while but very excited for the adventure we’re going to have. All your support and atta boys make huge impact on us trying to do it right. I’ll be posting lots of pics when I’m back at it. Have to build a out drive stand. Get an engine stand. If it turns out as good as watermans I’ll be extremely pleased. I really enjoy this site. Thanks guys.

Watermann

Sounds like you have a great space to work in, it sure was nice in my insulated garage with the heat on during the winter months. Being in a hurry is what makes for cut corners and regrets. Spend all the time you can on the boat work but don't get burned out.

Star01

Seaman
Hey guys. As the biggest boat I have completely rebuild was a 16’ Lund. Turned out like new. This jewel is 21’ with the cabin and two windshields. I/0. I took her out on water right after I bought it ran good. Didn’t leak. As I’m taking it apart I mark all parts fittings many pics. I find myself getting lost in the work I enjoy this very much. So lost in it that last night I did nothing but look at all the parts. And my half taken apart boat. Daydreaming about how I want it to look. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not at all discouraged. BUT !!! Has any one felt like. Holy cow. What have I done to this poor boat. I’m months away from even starting to put it back together yet already picturing what it will look like. The inside. The paint colors. See it splashing through the waves. Just wondering if any of you have done that. Then came back to reality. Turned the lights off and went inside for the night. Just smiling. My wife’s uncle had come in earlier and said. What a pile!!! The joke will be on him. No passion for the project I guess !! Just my thoughts today !!

Watermann

Yeah that's one of the real life jokes guys tell on themselves around here. :picture they're alone with the boat that doesn't even have a motor on it with the steering wheel in hand that's not even attached sitting in the boat making motor boat noises. :lol:

Your thread is kind of lost where you have it here, you could have it moved to a new home. Most of us hang out in the Starcraft section. https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owners-groups-by-manufacturer/s/starcraft-boats

Star01

Seaman
Hey Starcraft guys. I’m taking Watermans advice and moving my project to the Starcraft page. Not sure if I can bring the start of the project with me. If anyone knows how please let me know. In short I picked up a 1970 21’ chieftain. I’m in the take apart stage now. I also have trouble downloading pics. But try to show a few. All your advice is very helpful. As I’ve rebuilt a few smaller tinnys. But nothing this big. I’ve seen some of your projects. Very inspirational. I just took out all windows and top windshield today. To start to take cabin off. Lots of bolts screws and Rivits. Along with about 8 tubes of old clear silicone caulk. Ugg. Why do people do that. Anyway hello to you all. Star01

jbcurt00

Staff member
Hey Starcraft guys. I’m taking Watermans advice and moving my project to the Starcraft page. Not sure if I can bring the start of the project with me.

You cant move a topic, but a Mod can. Simply ask for it to be movex via PM to any Mod.

Avoid creating duplicate topics, your initial Cheiftain build is now merged into the 1 you started today.

Star01

Seaman
Ok sorry about that. Which mod do I ask? Trying to play within the rules. And I’m not sure how to go to the Starcraft forum. Thank you for the helpful info jbcurt00

jbcurt00

Staff member
Ok sorry about that. Which mod do I ask? Trying to play within the rules. And I’m not sure how to go to the Starcraft forum. Thank you for the helpful info jbcurt00

Ask any Moderator, we have a designation under our user names on every post we make.

Method1: Use an @ symbol followed by a user name (like I'll do w your user name)
@Star01

That creates a notify to let a member know they were mentioned in a post. You can use that feature to notify a Mod of your choosing.

Method2: Use the Flag feature at the bottom right corner of your initial post window. And state that you want a topic moved in the body of the Flag message.

Method3: Send a Mod a PrivateMessage asking to have yorlur topic moved. GA_Boater southcogs and I are all 3 fairly active and might be the best choice for quicker PM service.

Method2 notifies ALL the Mods and would be my recommended way of contacting the Mod team.

This topic is now IN the Starcraft owners forum w all your prior Chieftain posts.

Starcraft forum link
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owners-groups-by-manufacturer/s/starcraft-boats

Star01

Seaman
Hey guys. Been a while since last post. Still haven’t figured out posting pictures very well yet. But I’m taking them. And will post a lot when I find the secret to shrinking the photos to the right size for posting. Anyway. Still tearing down the 21 ‘ chief. Completely gutted inside. Haven’t removed motor yet. All glass is out and frames. Finally got all rivits drilled out. And cabin is on 2x4s in my 2nd bay. Ready for stripping. I removed the rub rail and aluminum frame on port side. That gunwale is damaged near the aft. Having a fabricator come see if he can replace about 6’ from aft to bow. Also let’s me get to rivits to take bow off. Haven’t removed starboard side yet. Question?? The rub rail frame on the port side I’d damaged where gunwale was damaged. It’s one long piece. Where could I find a replacement aluminum frame I took off to expose rivits? Also the rubber rub rail is one lone piece went around the whole boat. Need new for that also. Getting these parts dosent seem easy. Haven’t found the exact piece on internet yet. Also the top windshield frame looks a tiny bit bowed on starboard side. Pretty sure I can straiten that. The front cabin windshield looks like lexan or plexy. All the seals around windows need replacing. Forget the manufacture in Gloversville ny I’m two hrs away. Soon as I told them the yr of my beauty. 1970 they said no way. We have nothing to help you with. ??? Said they will rebuild you windows. No they will design new ones you have to make it fit ???? Thanks for the help I said. So going to a glass company see if they can help with seals. All in all. Going well. But MAN IS THERE ALOT OF RIVITS IN THIS BABY!!!! I’ll get pics out soon. Just letting you know I’m still on it. Any thoughts. I’m open for suggestions. Yay snow !! My time line is ice out.