1970 Starcraft chieftain restore

Star01

Seaman
Good morning all !! I went engine forum and with their help my 120 purrs like a kitten. Just starting to disassemble my 21’ chieftain. It had 2 12 gal fuel tanks each sine of engine. I’m pulling floor next. Does anyone know if there is enough room under floor somewhere to accommodate a large fuel tank ? I would like to use the extra room in aft. Also I would like to lower the floor in center of cabin. Has anyone achieved this. Thank you in advance

Bondo

Staff member
Does anyone know if there is enough room under floor somewhere to accommodate a large fuel tank ?

Nope,..... The V isn't deep enough,.... only a few inches under the deck,.....

My islander has an 18 gallon tank under each forward seat,.....

I took out the aft seats for better access for fishin',.....
a couple of huge coolers along the sides provide extra seating,....

Donno what youu've got for the cabin floor, my islander has a 3" step-down,.... that's all there's space for,.....

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Hello. New member. Been reading forums here. So much info. I bought a 1970 Starcraft chieftain 21’ 120 mercruser. I fell in love with this boat. I want to restore it. It’s in decent shape. Seems to run good. With muffs on. Someone did a lot of interior work to it. But not restored. Be honest I don’t know where to start. It’s a beauty or will be. Will be doing most of work on my own. Looking for anyone who restores aluminum boats like this to head me in the right direction. I’ll post photos when I know how. Thanks in advance.

Your post triggered a thought. Many years ago I restored an 18' Starcraft Holiday, '65 year, 110 MC/IO. Upon removing the plywood flooring (deck) I exposed the sealed foam (coffee cup white foam) sheets that were laying on on top of the other to fill the space between the deck and the hull. It had black spots on it, mold or mildew or both, and I just thought it had to be replaced. Went to a lot of trouble to find a foam source in the Dallas area and get some replacements.

A couple of months ago I bought a 17 year old boat and it had closed cell poured in foam and on the surface it looked horrible. I know that boat had been partially submerged for a time and just assumed the foam was saturated. I cut off a slab of it and put it in a sink full of water. It floated like a fall season leaf blowing across a lagoon.

Just wondering if I went to a lot of trouble for nothing since I never checked the foam on the Holiday to see if it was still in tact physically and not saturated.

Star01

Seaman
Good idea Bondo I was going to build boxes up there for shorter pedestal captain chairs and put a livewell under each. It’s definitely going to be my lake fishing boat. But could replace those with fuel tanks. Build smaller seating on each side base being live we’ll hatch with seats. Leaving the dog house only. Which I have to build. Thank you for the idea.

Star01

Seaman
Bondo. Did you fill and vent those from gunwale’s. Run fuel lines down and under floor. Would you need to vent the boxes themselves?

Bondo

Staff member
Bondo. Did you fill and vent those from gunwale’s. Run fuel lines down and under floor. Would you need to vent the boxes themselves?

Ayuh,..... Starcraft did,.....

The boxes are 3 sided, ventin' into the side panels, vented by the fore, 'n aft clamshell vents,....
All factory original,....

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey Star01 :wave: I found your thread digging in the maze of rotten glassers here in the general forum :lol:

Your Chief has a good hull for rough water, I've tested mine out over the years and there's guys who have the 18'rs that fish big water. The dead rise of the hull allows for a nice sized belly fuel tank, I have a 30+ gallon belly tank in my Chief.

You should focus more on the tear down, clean up and hull repairs which take the longest and is the toughest part of the restoration. The rebuild will be many months away. In the SC section there's some good info and a tip sticky thread on riveting as well.

nacseo16

Recruit
Ayuh,....... Welcome Aboard,..... Only if you like to be beaten silly,.....

I ran a 221 Islander for 20 years up here,.... The bottom is to flat to cut the waves,.....
If I didn't run out onto the lake very early mornin', it took forever to get there once the breeze picked up,....
Bein' on the northeast corner, I'm always runnin' into a headwind,....

Shoulda gone to a deep-V glass boat 19 years ago,.....

Wheres home?There was a nice 21 plus chieftain around my area for sale for under 2 grand cnd with a chev straight6 .Have not seen it for sale for a while so I suppose somebody snapped her up.I see a top tier Stanley has showedup just up te road from me,drool drool.

Last edited:

nacseo16

Recruit
Good advise above. Go to that StarCraft rebuild forum and read each and every post on rebuilds from start to finish, everything.

Never fall in love with a boat. You can't divorce it, she will be a love hate relationship, that I guarantee. This new love of yours will cost you more than getting divorced from a Woman, multiple times. Take a deep breath and start reading.

Prolly should have gone glass. But I’m a tin guy. Love em. But I’ve been running out to Stoney and little galloo withmy 16’ javelin bass boat. Caught couple times coming back in 4-5 footers. Pay attention to the wind for sure outthere. Still prolly get wet but I’ll feel better. She’s still not for 4-6’. Got fuel to carb now. Going to clean carb see whathappens,

Star01

Seaman
Hey guys. Home is upstate ny. No I’m not talking about just north of the city. Live in Port Leyden tiny village bout 50 miles from Alex bay or Canada. 2 hrs north Syracuse. I’m starting the year down this weekend. I have read so much great info on rebuilding. I looked at the whole project Bob -vt sent me. A beauty. This boat is worth my complete effort. I really wanted to read more and get ideas before I took her apart to the bones. And the more I have read and have seen what others have done has me even more excited about the chieftain. I think all the old Starcraft have a great look and history with them. I will be taking a lot of pics. And asking prolly many questions before I’m done. It has a certain draw to me. It’s almost 50 yrs old. Would love to hear the stories I could tell. I’ll have her tip top and all new adventures will start. I’m still looking in my area for real marine Plywood. And sources to pick up the things I’ll need. All the glass in good shape. But caulk in many places around frame. It’s all being disassembled hoping an automotive glass company can get me seals and weather striping when time to go back on. So much cleaning and repair. But don’t want to miss a thing. I won’t be selling her when I’m done. So all the info I get is very welcomed. The admiral said I know you’ll be living in the garage again cause that’s what you do when it comes to your boats. And she’s looking forward to going out in it. I get a little possessed when deciding to do such things. Last question from her was. Do you have a budget in mind? I just smiled. And booked her a cruise with my mother and sister. She’s happy.!!! Thank you all for letting me share this experience and all the help so far and help in the future. It’s not a hobby it’s a passion!!

Star01

Seaman
Hello folks. Question. As in taking my chief apart. I see the cabin top has a black vinyl covering that has shrunk near the bottom and around where snaps were installed. Suggestions. Is there a buiss that recovers the vinyl, can I do it myself. Or should I take to bare aluminum and paint. Colors will be dark navy blue and white. I would want that section white. Advantages to vinyl over paint ? Thanks for your input.

Watermann

Most of us with Chiefs have removed the old vinyl and painted the cabins. I can't think of a reason to use vinyl, it will fail sooner and damage isn't an easy repair that's for sure.

Star01

Seaman
It was your chief I saw and really liked the look. I was thinking paint would be the way to go. I enjoyed watching your chief come together. Great job. Thanks for your input.

Star01

Seaman
Hello fellow boat nuts. Y’all got me concerned. Been reading a lot of post. Starting to take my 21’ chieftain apart. Going to be a long process. But I knew that. It ran great on water. Still have to adjust shift cables. Thought I could do that in spring. BUT!! She’s a 1970. I don’t believe transome has ever been changed. I really didn’t want to pull the 2.5 merc and drive. But I’m going to do all this work. And I hear y’all say. Pull it. Put new transom in. It seems good. But what is good ?? How do I check to see if it really is. I want to be able to give this boat to grandson someday. And let’s face it. It’s no small project. And there’s no cheap way to rebuild this beauty. I’ve never attempted to pull an engine and drive. But I’m sure I’m capable. What’s your thoughts. How to make sure it’s still going to last another 30 yrs. and even though this motor runs strong. Will it be enough horsepower to take on some 4 footers on Lake Ontario or should I look for something bigger and I could always sell this motor and drive. I think. Let’s me know your honest thoughts. Plus I can’t turtle this boat to property paint the bottom. With motor in. Or how could I get to bottom with motor and drive in it. Thanks.

Watermann

You can always down the road put a 3.0 L motor and updated drive assembly in the boat. Painting a boat on the trailer is a tough nut to crack, I've seen guys do it in sections by moving the boat on the trailer. I plan on stripping and leaving the bottom bare on my 22' Islander.

Post some good pics of your transom.

Star01

Seaman
[No message]

Attachments

• photo320536.jpg
    photo320536.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • photo320537.jpg
    photo320537.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3