Nobody knows what this is?

Hemmer

Cadet
Hello everyone, my wife and I are considering acquiring a boat from a friend. I have never owned a boat but I do enjoy fishing and being out on the water with friends so it sounds like it would be fun. My wife grew up on boats and being out on the water.

Now, this boat I mentioned before was left behind by a former tenant and there is no title available for the boat or trailer that tenant is also not available for contact any longer and could even be deceased at this point. Noone really knows but the boat has been abandoned for like 20 years at this point. That is the first hurdle we'll have to tackle if we take this project on.

The second hurdle is that no one, that it to say neither him nor us nor the police department, knows what kind of boat this is by the VIN number which looks to be hand scribed on the boat. This is the second hurdle!

The third hurdle is that there is no motor on the boat at all! No outboard or trolling.

The fourth hurdle is that this is probably a very old boat which has been sitting in a barn since prior to the 2000's and will probably need a lot of restoration work done on it to get her back on the water. It's going to need all new interior at minimum. No idea what the inside of the boat looks like but I'm going to be getting a better look at it in person next week.

In other hobbies and interests I've joined forums to share and and learn from other folks knowledge as well as to get new/cool/crazy ideas. This is what lead me here. I know this is probably a long shot but I'm wondering if someone might know from these pictures what kind of boat this thing is? I've scoured the internet quite a bit and I thought for sure that I decided it was a Rinker but now I've changed my mind. Any knowledge or insight is greatly appreciated, thanks for your time!

Attachments

• photo317097.jpg
    photo317097.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo317098.jpg
    photo317098.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 2

Carl1783

Seaman
Looks like an early 70s Starcraft maybe.

That boat is going to be a ton of work...

Without a title, it probably isn’t worth the time, just my opinion.

Free boats can be expensive, I have one I’m working on too.

Hemmer

Cadet
I think one of the more uniquely identifying pieces may be the way that side window on the windshield doesn't extend down fully forming a triangle like most seem to do. I can't find any that have this type of windshield.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Friendly advice - Spend your money on a running boat with current paperwork. Then you can skip right to hurdle #5 - Having some fun with your new boat.

If you're set on this one, give us the HIN. We might be able to decode at least part of it.

Welcome to the forum, Hemmer.

Hemmer

Cadet
This is the only number I have off of the boat aside of the sticker from the previous post. This is the one I eluded to earlier. I think I've discovered that the stickers on the side from registration are from South Carolina however I am in Indiana.

Attachments

• photo317104.jpg
    photo317104.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 2

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
this boat has multiple strikes against it

strike 1 - no paperwork. boats without paperworks are usually used as yard planters

strike 2 - its a tri-hull

strike 3 - it has no motor

strike 4 - it hasnt been used because there was probably a major problem with the boat 20 years ago

strike 5 - even after you spend $3000 on the hull to get it safe, $2000 on the interior, and a minimum of $1500 on the motor, its still a very old not desirable boat.

Free boats are the most expensive.

as GA stated, take your $6500 and buy a boat you can register tomorrow morning put in the water tomorrow afternoon

ahicks

Captain
I have to agree. There is nothing to go on here, and no light at the end of the tunnel. You can likely register it, and the trailer, as home built if you want to register it. My advice for a first boat though, would be to locate something you can use right away. A project like this one could set ANOTHER 20 years after being relocated in YOUR yard!

This coming from somebody that LOVES projects.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The boat does have a valid HIN. The 1st three characters INZ means the HIN was issued by the state of Indiana. Why - No idea. SC is a boat title state and I have a feeling it ended up in Indiana with a questionable pedigree.

The boat also has a muddied ownership history and you may never gain clear title. Do yourself a favor and buy a boat you and your Admiral to be a boat you can enjoy today, not 20 years from now if not never.

kpg7121

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I rode in a trihull once. Notice I said once. Do yourself a favor, save yourself some grief & buy a boat you & the wife can enjoy. That boat is 10 miles of bad road.

Hemmer

Cadet
Alright, I read you guys loud and clear. Sounds like this is a horrible idea. I appreciate the advice, thanks very much everyone!

Carl1783

Seaman
I think one of the more uniquely identifying pieces may be the way that side window on the windshield doesn't extend down fully forming a triangle like most seem to do. I can't find any that have this type of windshield.

It might be a Larson Shark.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I am so happy you are passing on this scow. Trying to get that thing running and floating you may never go out a boat again after all the $$$$ and grief. Good decision.