New boat feedback - Four Winns HD 200 OB or Starcraft MDX 190/210 OB

rojeho

Cadet
Looking to purchase a twenty-ish foot deckboat or bowrider. Lake and ICW use around Clearwater, FL. Primarily wife and me, maybe two guests, no large entertaining. No fishing, no watersports, just cruising around on nice days. I seem to have landed on Four Winns and Starcraft based on local dealers. Any comments on these makes/models or others to look at?

Carl1783

Seaman
I've never had a Starcraft but we've have had Four Winns in the family. FW is a mid range brand and solid.

The two boats you mention look to be competing models. The FW has a steeper deadrise, is heavier and has more capacity. What OB would you get? Same motor on either boat? The FW would use more fuel with everything else being equal.

Last edited:

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Four Winns is on the upper end of mid range. Good resale. That would be my choice.

rojeho

Cadet
I've never had a Starcraft but we've have had Four Winns in the family. FW is a mid range brand and solid.

The two boats you mention look to be competing models. The FW has a steeper deadrise, is heavier and has more capacity. What OB would you get? Same motor on either boat? The FW would use more fuel with everything else being equal.

Would definitely do a 150 with the Four Winns. I think I could do either a 115 or 150 with the Starcraft.

I find the deadrise of 13 for the Starcraft curious in a field of 18-20 degree competitors. I wonder if it's part of whatever their marketing hype hull design is and if it's an artificial number. If not it seems like it is strongly biased toward calm lakes, right?

Carl1783

Seaman
Would definitely do a 150 with the Four Winns. I think I could do either a 115 or 150 with the Starcraft.

I find the deadrise of 13 for the Starcraft curious in a field of 18-20 degree competitors. I wonder if it's part of whatever their marketing hype hull design is and if it's an artificial number. If not it seems like it is strongly biased toward calm lakes, right?

I would go with the most HP you can afford on either boat.

It would seem at first glance, the Starcraft is more of a lake boat that is a combo/do it all boat. Maybe Starcraft uses that hull mold/design on multiple models for cost reasons. Since it’s lighter than the FW it will be a rougher ride too.

Since you are planning on coastal boating and not skiing or doing any water activities, the FW seems like it fits your needs more.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
I will go the other way, StarCraft is a very old established company, actually about 10 miles from my house so there are a lot of Starcrafts around my neck of the woods.

The first boat I was ever in was a StarCraft row boat, had to be from the early 60's, uncle still has and uses the boat.

Actually this question is like asking people which woman you should marry, a boat is a very personal choice, it is completely up to you and what you want from a boat, everyone is different, my perfect boat might be the last one you would chose.

Make a list of each boat with a plus minus and go with the one with the most pluses and agree, get the biggest engine you can afford, an under powered boat is a bit of a drag.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Either way get the biggest engine you can afford or the boat is rated for. A smaller engine won't save you any fuel. A smaller engine will have less resale value and probably wear out faster from being worked harder. No boater ever complains about having too much HP. Many of us complain about not having enough.

rojeho

Cadet
Thanks, all. You talked me into a 150 either way. Found a Four Winns with a Yam 150 and almost identical to the way I would have spec'd it. Made a deal - water test next week and then home within two! Very excited and appreciate the input.