Water in the Bilge, especially when making sharp turns

Kado67

Recruit
I have an 87 Traveller bowrider with a 3 L I/O engine that I have owned 1 year. I had it in the water at our dock last summer. Over the course of a week it would accumulate some water in the bilge, even if there was no rain, probably about 2-3 gallons. When out cruising a bit of water would accumulate. But if I was out tubing and making a lot of sharp turns, I could get a couple gallons in the bilge in half an hour. And this was before I let the wet kids climb back into the boat. I know I have an issue, but I'm trying to gauge if it's a small issue ($) or a big issue ($$$). The boat needs an ignition tune-up and a carburetor tune-up, so I'm trying to figure out how much is worth investing in this boat. It is over 30 years old after all but fortunately I did not pay a lot up front and had expected some expenses. Any insights into the likely cause of my water problem (and likely costs) would be much appreciated. My marina mechanic is a bit stumped.

Thanks!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
A hole in the bellows? (Certainly a marina mechanic would have checked that?) A rotten transom causing the seal around the gimbal housing to leak when under sideways pressure?

briangcc

Commander
I was going to say bellows as well since I had a similar issue on my Four Winns. Had those changed and dry as could be.

I'd also say transom based off age alone. When's the last time the outdrive was taken off and the outdrive hole inspected for rot?

southkogs

Staff member
That much water; you should see a path where it's coming in. Have you gotten your head back in there where you can see? Maybe get a small camera in there or a mirror ...

kpg7121

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an 87 Traveller bowrider with a 3 L I/O engine that I have owned 1 year. I had it in the water at our dock last summer. Over the course of a week it would accumulate some water in the bilge, even if there was no rain, probably about 2-3 gallons. When out cruising a bit of water would accumulate. But if I was out tubing and making a lot of sharp turns, I could get a couple gallons in the bilge in half an hour. And this was before I let the wet kids climb back into the boat. I know I have an issue, but I'm trying to gauge if it's a small issue ($) or a big issue ($$$). The boat needs an ignition tune-up and a carburetor tune-up, so I'm trying to figure out how much is worth investing in this boat. It is over 30 years old after all but fortunately I did not pay a lot up front and had expected some expenses. Any insights into the likely cause of my water problem (and likely costs) would be much appreciated. My marina mechanic is a bit stumped.

Thanks!

Pull the outdrive & check the condition of the bellows. You can also raise the drive & check it that way but best practice is to pull the drive. You can also use a rubber mallet & tap on the outside of the transom & listen for a hollow sound versus a thud. Thud good, hollow bad. That's not the best way to check a transom for rot but it's a start.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Unless you are really experienced (and perhaps even if you are...), the hammer test is worthless. You need to drill some holes from inside the boat and inspect the shavings. Dry and light shavings are good; wet and/or dark shavings are bad.

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
Put tubing over drill bit leaving 3/4 to 1inch of usable bit exposed so you don't drill too far and pop out of exterior of transom. This becomes a stop

kpg7121

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Unless you are really experienced (and perhaps even if you are...), the hammer test is worthless. You need to drill some holes from inside the boat and inspect the shavings. Dry and light shavings are good; wet and/or dark shavings are bad.
Well it won't hurt anything, will it? If he taps all around the transom he should be able to tell the diference in whether it's solid or not. It ain't brain surgery.