Registering an older canoe w no paperwork in NY? How?

IndentedFish

Recruit
I bought my canoe 15 years back and would like to register it (for use with trolling motor) in NY state. I don't have the receipt, and the store I bought it from has no receipt. It does have a serial number though. Anyone know how to register this?

roffey

Commander
Wish I could help. Here in Canada we don't register anything under a 10 hp motor hence the 9.9, lol.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Wish I could help. Here in Canada we don't register anything under a 10 hp motor hence the 9.9, lol.

9.9, 9.8, 9.5, et al, came about because of a racing class that required less than 10. It had nothing to do with Canadian laws.

tacx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ahhh, it also has to do with many small inland lakes do not allow 10 hp outboards.

roffey

Commander
I was really just saying that in Canada you don't have to register if its under 10 hp.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Go to the dmv. In NYS My brother had the same issue with an aluminum 14 ft boat. Was my grandparents boat registration was lost and HIN was gone.

He he had to go to the dmv they sent a state trooper out to verify the boat didn’t have a HIN, they gave him a new HIN and registration. Really was fairly painless. I think if you can take a picture or rubbing of the HIN when you go in , they verify it isn’t stolen you may get off easier.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Who made your canoe?

When it was built, a document was created assigning the HIN. It's called an MSO or Manufacturers Statement of Origination. The MSO is the piece of paper that starts the process. Check with the canoe builder to see if the MSO is still on file.