Bilge cleaning not working

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
The bilge seems to have never been cleaned by the previous owners.

I would like to make it shine!

I tried to brush with a bilge cleaner, but it removes only the loose stuff or deposits. There is a brown-pink color that remains on the gel coat.

I tried to use a steel wool, thinner, 3M grey pad without success.
The only thing that seems to work a little is sanding with 220 paper.

I would like to avoid to sand since there are bumps and depressions on the gelcoat and it is impossible to reach every where.

Is there a miracle product, or a power tool I can safely use to clean the bilge without making the job a summer project?

Bilge cleaning SM.jpg

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Those are stains...I'd get a brush-on bottom/hull cleaner made to remove stains, etc.

I've had good luck with CRC On & Off Hull and Bottom Cleaner...make sure you read the directions first.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I suspect your stains are rust.

CRC On & off is 3 kinds of acid(hydrocloric, oxalic and phosphoric) , plus alcohol. It should work well, but watch the fumes and protect your hands.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Try Lysol gel toilet bowl cleaner. Apply, scrub, rinse. It's cheap too for a few bucks at the $. I've tried everything sold as hull cleaner, it's not cheap and hasn't worked for me. I get it at the buck or 2 store.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Use the chemicals mentioned above with a drill brush. Those things are amazing at the mechanical part of scrubbing, they work great for boats!

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
Use the chemicals mentioned above with a drill brush. Those things are amazing at the mechanical part of scrubbing, they work great for boats!

Do you mean a metal drill brush? Wouldn't that be too harsh?

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
Try Lysol gel toilet bowl cleaner. Apply, scrub, rinse. It's cheap too for a few bucks at the $. I've tried everything sold as hull cleaner, it's not cheap and hasn't worked for me. I get it at the buck or 2 store.

I just tried Lysol toilet cleaner 50% with hydrogen peroxyde. It does the same job as the bilge cleaner, but the stains remain.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
I suspect your stains are rust.

CRC On & off is 3 kinds of acid(hydrocloric, oxalic and phosphoric) , plus alcohol. It should work well, but watch the fumes and protect your hands.

In my area, nobody keep that product in stock, it is on order.
I wanted to do that today, grrr.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
On/Off is designed to remove heavy calcium deposits, ie barnacles. Way over the top for day to day cleaning chores

I would start with a de-greaser like like Purple Power or Simple Green and a scrub brush to remove the oil and mold spores.

From there, get a bottle of Attwood instant hull cleaner from Walmart. Dilute 50% then spray it on and let it stir for 10 minutes. This will remove any organic stains such as rust and tannic acid (leaves/black water stains).

I will add, good old Starbrite "bilge cleaner" works wonders if used per directions. Pour the bottle in your bilge along with a couple gallons of water before heading out for the day. Nice and clean by the time you get back

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've used "The Works" toilet cleaner from Walmart. It's like $2/bottle and it works great at removing stains and even barnacle residue. Heed the warnings above about harsh chemicals and acids tho as this is Muriatic acid I believe and is quite harsh.

If you prefer something more boat related, try "Davis FSR". It's a blue gel and is basically the same acids as the other cleaners but because it's a gel it stays where you put it.

In both cases, leave it on for 5 minutes or so and rinse off. Reapply as necesary.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys for the suggestions.
So many things to try!

I think I know what that stain is. It is only on starboard side.
I think at some point, someone dropped an ATF bottle while filling the trim tab reservoir, or a line detached from the pump.
The brownish color looks like there is a bit of pink in it.

Since I didn't find CRC on & off in my area, I bought a hull cleaner and applied it with a paint brush being careful not to touch bolts or electrical connections.
I let it sit for 2-3 minutes like the instructions say, and wiped with a damp cloth, and no difference! Stains are still there.

The only suggestion I got locally was to repaint the bilge, but I'm not there yet.

So far I tried a hull cleaner, a bilge cleaner, a mixture of 50% toilet cleaner and hydrogen peroxyde, 3M grey pad, sanding paper. Well, it seems to be really bonded to the gel coat.

I need to reinstall the batteries to be ready for the week end, so this project will be postponed I suppose.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Do you mean a metal drill brush? Wouldn't that be too harsh?

nope, just google drill brush. Bristles are plastic, you can get different hardness grades, from ultra soft to fairly stiff. I use them all over the place on the boat.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
nope, just google drill brush. Bristles are plastic, you can get different hardness grades, from ultra soft to fairly stiff. I use them all over the place on the boat.

Oh, nice. I will try to find one with stiff bristles.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Oxalic acid will remove this in 2 minutes. Read up on it and the procedure though. Literally no effort at al.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
make sure you seal the holes in the bilge where you removed screws prior to hosing down the area with water or cleaner

you will need a bleach cleaner to kill the mold/mildew in there

and lastly, if you really want a shiny bilge, you will need to pull the motor and everything in the bilge, sand everything down, skim-coat the interior of the bilge with fairing and re-gel it.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oxalic acid will remove this in 2 minutes. Read up on it and the procedure though. Literally no effort at al.

Is it stronger than the acid in a hull cleaner? Because the hull cleaner barely worked.
Thanks.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Is it stronger than the acid in a hull cleaner? Because the hull cleaner barely worked.
Thanks.

Yeah. It’s basically like cutting out the middle man. It’s soecifically used to combat iron based oxide.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
The cleaning is done.
The bilge is clean, and the stain is gone maybe 90%. That is ok for now. I think I lost 10 pound in sweat in the last two days working in the bilge with temperatures and humidity quite high for the season.

After spending maybe $70 in products, going from brake cleaner, thinner, hull cleaner, bilge cleaner, culvert cleaner and more... this morning I got the idea to try Javex (bleach for cloth whitening) . Scott mentioned bleach, it worked for me.
I poured some on the stain, and after 3 minutes, to my surprise, 90% of the stain was gone!
So I used that with some rubbing and the result is quite nice and I'm happy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	clean2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.49 MB ID:	10770515

Click image for larger version  Name:	clean1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.16 MB ID:	10770516