Fuel issue?

seaweed64

Recruit
What would cause a brand new boat and motor to randomly conk out once in a while but when you squeeze the bulb it starts back up?

roffey

Commander
Im not much of a outboard guy but I'm thinking pressure in the tank? There should be a valve you open on the tank when under power.

ahicks

Captain
If everything else was right, I'm thinking if the tank vent were closed or plugged, the squeeze bulb would likely be squeezed flat.

I would be discussing this issue with the dealer that sold me the new rig.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If everything else was right, I'm thinking if the tank vent were closed or plugged, the squeeze bulb would likely be squeezed flat.

I would be discussing this issue with the dealer that sold me the new rig.

The best course of action, I've heard of people having problems with check valves in the fuel lines, don't know but the dealer would be the best bet

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Check the tank vent, fuel, fuel lines and filter for a blockage. Do you have a fuel/water separator filter installed? If you have a separate portable tank you can connect to see what happens. Sounds like there is a suction/vacuum issue.

roffey

Commander
Tanks are not that expensive. I had issues with my 9.5 and got a new tank for under $50. I think you can get them here as well. Two gas tanks are not a bad thing.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
What would cause a brand new boat and motor to randomly conk out once in a while but when you squeeze the bulb it starts back up?

Not enough info supplied. What are you running with respect to a fuel supply? What does the bulb look like when the engine just conks out? Under what operational conditions/rpms/speed are you running when this happens? What's the ambient temp? Anything else you can think of.