How hard is night boating

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
During salmon season I boat after dark often, its always the same waters so navigating is easy what is an issue is the number of boats with poor or no lightning I’ve almost hit a half dozen sail boats operating without lights I have to assume they got blown farther from the marina than they planned the wind died down and they didn’t have the batteries charged enough to power there lights. Hitting another boat scares me more than anything that being said a longtime ago a good buddy ran his 19 foot boat into the marker bouy at forty mph totaled his boat and broke himself up pretty bad same bouy that’s always been there. I think radar is something I’d like on my new boat.

RGrew176

Commander
Radar is a nice tool to have. I had it on my last boat. Made night boating a bit safer overall.

Tycer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you all! We’re doing a dry run tomorrow night for watching fireworks in Charleston harbor on Independence Day. First night outing. Fast tide at take out. Know the area a bit by day. I am the small boat. I’ll post results. :popcorn:

SkiGuy1980

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you are familiar with the lake you shouldn't have an issue. All my boating after dark experience has been on inland lakes that I've been on many times. I'd guess you'll be doing the same in AZ?
I have a good spotlight, but normally watch the moonlight along the shore for navigation. Your nav light setup is important and should aid you when pulling into a dark, unlit dock. I will say that a lot of my boating is in central Kentucky and the biggest concern I have about trailering after dark is the fear of not seeing a water moccasin surfing along the bank when I'm stepping into the water to crank the bow in.
There may be different rules in your area, but I'd suspect you should be running at idle speed after dark. Years ago we'd run across the lake for dinner and relaxing at the marina. The ride back was always late at night and we'd roll on plane for the 6 to 8 miles back to the houseboat. I loved that... just more cautious now. Strong nav lights and keeping an eye out for others not idling will be a priority (you don't wanna get hit or hit anyone else and have to live with it).
I've never ran on rivers or coastal water and I'm sure there is a great deal more to worry about in those cases.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Boating at night is peaceful. I'm running an 18 foot bowrider with a 4.3 Mercruiser.
I've done it a few times on our lake (Wallenpaupack in PA). However, I would avoid big celebrations such as 4th of July. I did that once and never again. As many have stated here, it's mostly the other jerks out there zipping around as if it's daytime.
That one time was enough for me. I had a few cabin cruisers shoot across my bow as if I wasn't even there. I don't get it. Why would you go so fast at night when your sight is so limited? To impress your friends? Stupidity? Ignorance? They deserve to hit something, but unfortunately it's going to be someone else that gets hurt.
It's best to try night boating on a warm calm night in the middle of the week when there are less boats out there. Stay away from holiday weeks.
I'm lucky to be retired now and even during daylight, only go out during the week. Too much traffic during the weekends. That means too many jerks in the water and around the ramps. Oh, the ramps....don't get me started on that! That's a whole other rant...
Have fun, slow down and enjoy nature!

kenny nunez

Captain
Stupid Kayaker!
My cousin was returning from the Gulf Of Mexico in to Bay Saint Louis one night with his 27’ Parker . He sees a small dot on the radar screen and slowed down almost running over that idiot, he had no reflective vest or lights!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I didn't read the 4 pages of posts. I am going to guess not many find boating at night the bomb as the kids say. I have stories too. I'll just say whatever you can do during the day think about doing the same thing with a blind fold on. It's doable with todays GPS. It wasn't 30 years ago in pitch black. We went for a night fish once on Lake Nipissing in the near north of Ontario. I said lets leave the porch light on the cabin. Once it got dark there were a few hundred porch lights on. We found a slip to dock on Pergatory Bay and the nice gentleman gave the 3 of us 20 something idiots and my 40 year old Uncle a ride home, 5 miles away. We got the boat the next AM. We still went night fishing on the Ottawa River and here on Lake Erie but had experience getting lost by then.

Boating at night can be the most peaceful thing. Not usually those Sea Doos ripping around causing wakes that bother old timers like I. If I was 20 and we had them in the 70's I'd have the fastest and loudest available.

Last edited:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I do it on Canada Day to watch the fireworks.
other then that I avoid it the st lawrence around here is dangerous during the day but even worse at night.
I only do it if I need to.
i also avoid going out in any type of fog.
freighters cant see you.
and some boater owners are dangerous.

svan

Seaman Apprentice
Boating at night while tricky can be very rewarding. I love to navigate new places and times of day/night. I used to fish alot and ran the tides to keep up with the fish, I now live near a lake (Clarks Hill Lake GA/SC) that is alot different than the Great South Bay of Long Island, NY. Be Prepared for the worst and Keep a Keen Eye Out!

JLesko

Cadet
I run at night a few times a month. Typically, between a few rivers and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. I keep it around 20 mph and have a NV Monocular I wear over one eye so I can see what is out there..... You just have to be familiar with the area and be careful. Without NV I stay in the Severn river ( a smaller river ) and go much slower. Like anything else, take it easy at first and feel it out.

I boat at night, but only on a route that I know like the back of my hand. Even then, I sometimes need to slow down and still need to recognize that some people lack the common sense to use their lights at night. I never use GPS for night boating. Too many times I've been near shore at GPS shows me on shore. If it isn't 100% accurate then I won't trust my life with it. I'll go slower.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
I run almost exclusively at night, will leave for a fishing trip at 6 pm and normally head back to the launch at midnight.

It is actually really easy to run at night, you can seriously pick a soda can floating at 200' IF you aren't running head lights and the water is calm.

There is a reason they call them "docking lights" they are for docking not driving, also HATE the RGB lighting as red and green are navigation colors not party lights..

You just need to be aware as a bunch of others have said, stupid and water seem to mix really well.

The jet skis and wake boats have been put to bed for the night, the water is nice and calm save for the occasional pontoon going by, it is my favorite time to be on the water.

TimB19

Cadet
From personal experience I know distances are deceiving at night, and the main issue is floating objects in the water.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I’ve been out on the Kanawha River in heavy fog, at night, and at night in pretty bad storms.
Even with sound signals fog is really scary because you know something’s out there but you can’t tell where it is or what it is until you are up on it. A coal barge looming out of the mist close aboard is definitely stress inducing. Most pleasure boaters don’t seem to understand how sound signals work and most bass boats don’t seem to sound when they are anchored.
There are the obvious hazards at night, such as logs, to consider. Lightening will ruin night vision, too. Boat ramps are tough in the dark and getting on the trailer is way harder at night.
I find night time transit to be stressful, especially if I have passengers, but sitting out in the quiet under the stars being rocked by the water while on the hook is an amazing experience.