Shore anchoring with changing water levels

Asnyder19

Seaman Apprentice
So we are getting ready to do an over night camping trip on the local resivuor. My question is, how to tie off when the water level changes so much. It can fluctuate as much as a couple feet over night! (My buddy did this and woke up to the back half of his boat under water..... trying to avoid this)
Thanks forthe help as usual!

Last edited:

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
When you tie off what do you tie to ?
A wall Do you use an Anchor ro do you tie up to the bank ?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my guess this is a small boat, however could be a pocket cruiser, run-about, etc.

if anchoring at low tide, run close to the beach, tie off the bow anchor to the shore or a tree, use an aft anchor with about 150' of rode and keep the boat floating

if anchoring at high tide, stay a good distance from the beach, tie off the bow anchor to the shore or a tree, use an aft anchor with about 150' of rode and keep the boat floating

you are going to get wet either way, or if the boat is small enough, you will need to run your boat up on shore during high tide, and wait until high tide to leave.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
First question is there a posted schedule of water releases for the dam? You are potentially dealing with something much worse than tides, which are clockwork predictable. I've boated on lakes that fluctuated quite a bit (not feet overnight), and if you can find a release schedule, it makes it much easier to figure out what you have to do.

Asnyder19

Seaman Apprentice
There is a scheduled release. I'll be tying off to a log or whatever I can find on the bank at least that's what most people do. Im trying to figure out how to keep the boat moving down the bank without hanging up causing the back to drop under water level. Or am I just worrying too much?

fishrdan

Admiral
Attach anchor line to stern cleat and clip anchor to the stern anchor line so the anchor can slip, drop anchor 100' off shore, then pay out the doubled-up anchor line as the boat is pulled up to shore. Tie bow line off to a tree (etc) with a bunch of slack, then pull the stern anchor line to move the boat back away from shore. Tie off stern anchor line to tree and snug up lines, and boat is now far away from shore.

To retrieve boat, untie stern anchor line and pull boat back to shore with the bow line. Done this many times and stayed nice and dry, which is a huge bonus in winter.

Asnyder19

Seaman Apprentice
This is perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much for the help!