Best site for boat resale?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roffey View Post
    Someone correct me as I have never bought any thing big from EBay but I do believe they guarantee the product as advertised. I think the seller is taking the bigger risk as the buyer can reversed the transaction, have the money returned and that is a scam all in it self. If I buy anything big like cars or boats I want to put my hands on it first before I put out any cash. I think that's where CL might be better as it just a place to start the transaction, you still have to meet the seller and look at the product first hand..
    Certainly EBAY Motors has a buyer protection program but it's not just cut and dry. There are a lot of hoops to jump through and a lot of limitations. I think I bought my first car from Ebay Motors the year the Motors section was added. Have bought several since then. Probably a bit of luck but all were as described but all were from dealers. Really not terribly different than opening cars.com or boattrader, etc, and shopping nationwide except for the ebay motors protection.
    2002 Chaparral 220 SSi
    350 MAG MPI
    Bravo 1

2011 Yamaha FX Sho

Comment

EBay and Brokering cost a lot of money - not worth it.

Last year I sold my 35 year old boat on Craigslist. I took new and perfectly posed pictures and posted as many as they would allow. I listed all of the specifications, options and detailed the maintenance history. Before placing the ad I completely detailed the boat and stored it in the garage under cover. It showed like a new boat. I ended up selling it on the 3rd day to the first person that showed up for about 3x the NADA book value, and only a few hundred less than the asking price. They were so taken back that they didn't even ask for me to run the engine or give a sea trial.

Most importantly, I told no lies or exaggerations. After the sale I followed up with the buyer and they couldn't be happier after using it for half the Summer.

I've been using CL almost since its inception, and have yet to have anything I posted there not sell.
      2019 SeaRay SPX 190 OB & Mercury 150 4-Stroke & Merc 5.0 Kicker
      2017 Boston Whaler 150 Montauk & Mercury 60 ELPT Command Thrust & Merc 3.5 Kicker
      2015 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
      1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
      1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
      1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
      69 Outboards: 1919-2019, representing 11 manufacturers
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

With Craigslist and all the other online options, including tossing it out front on your lawn with a for sale sign, you get the joy of dealing with every dreamer, tire kicker, low baller out there. Plus a lot of no shows.

To me, giving the broker a small percentage of the sale so I don't have to deal with that nonsense is a no brainer. Or I'd just trade it in. My time and sanity is worth something too.

But to each their own. If you like going through that and being told how wrong you are on your price, so be it.
        2017 Chaparral 19 H2O Ski & Fish w./4.3L 180HP Merc Alpha
        2005 Four Winns 200Le x/5.0L Volvo SX-M (270HP - FI) - ordered new, traded in on Chaparral
        1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS w/2000 Honda 115HP - ordered new, traded in on Four Winns
        1956 MFG 15' w/matching Evinrude Big Twin 30HP - presumed to be a sandbox somewhere

Tow Vehicle:
        2017 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4
        2019 Ram 1500 Classic 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by briangcc View Post
          With Craigslist and all the other online options, including tossing it out front on your lawn with a for sale sign, you get the joy of dealing with every dreamer, tire kicker, low baller out there. Plus a lot of no shows.

To me, giving the broker a small percentage of the sale so I don't have to deal with that nonsense is a no brainer. Or I'd just trade it in. My time and sanity is worth something too.

But to each their own. If you like going through that and being told how wrong you are on your price, so be it.
          That's great if you have large quantities of disposable income. For many, many or us, the only way we can afford the toys we have is to maximize the money taken in on a sale, and minimize the money paid out on a purchase. That's why all these various methods/sites for buying/selling are so popular. Consider yourself fortunate.
          1994 Seaswirl Sypder 188 5.0 Cobra EFI

Comment

One of my biggest complaints about CL is that everyone has a different idea of what any particular description actually means to them. Excellent condition for example to me means one thing and to a seller means something different. As one point when I was boat shopping a few years back, when I told the seller I wasn't interested as I was viewing a boat for sale, he wanted me to walk him through exactly what the issues were as compared to what excellent condition should mean.
            It reminds me of my son's first experience with damaging the car be bought him for his 16th birthday. He was shocked to learn just how much it cost to replace and repaint the bumper he tore off that nearly new car and the reasons why it cost so much.
            2002 Chaparral 220 SSi
            350 MAG MPI
            Bravo 1

2011 Yamaha FX Sho

Comment

Incorrect assumption on my financial position. Boating season is short. Would you rather dicker with every Tom, Dick, and Harry about price while the boating season slips away OR be out on the water and let someone else deal with that hassle?

To me, its again a no brainer - out on the water enjoying myself.

Its why I traded mine in instead of listing it. Easy sale, marina even loaned me a dealer plate so I didn't have to re-register my trailer. No hassle. No dickering on price. No lining up a water test. No my wife found out and I need a refund. No I want to buy it will you do payments? Nada. In this day an age, it was worth the little hit I took in value.
              2017 Chaparral 19 H2O Ski & Fish w./4.3L 180HP Merc Alpha
              2005 Four Winns 200Le x/5.0L Volvo SX-M (270HP - FI) - ordered new, traded in on Chaparral
              1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS w/2000 Honda 115HP - ordered new, traded in on Four Winns
              1956 MFG 15' w/matching Evinrude Big Twin 30HP - presumed to be a sandbox somewhere

Tow Vehicle:
              2017 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4
              2019 Ram 1500 Classic 4x4

Comment

Although the last boat I sold was in pristine condition and had all its maintenance up to date, the trade-in offer I got was so low that I would have sooner donated it to the Sea Scouts. A local broker wouldn't accept it because of the age, even after he saw it. As I said before, it sold on CL in 3 days.

If you have junk, just donate it to a worthy cause and take a tax deduction. If you have something worthwhile to sell, do your homework and place a professional looking ad. make sure yur spilling and gramaer are correct, or you won't look too smart. Sure, there will always be tire kickers and low ballers but if you have a nice product and a nice ad, you'll do just fine.
                2019 SeaRay SPX 190 OB & Mercury 150 4-Stroke & Merc 5.0 Kicker
                2017 Boston Whaler 150 Montauk & Mercury 60 ELPT Command Thrust & Merc 3.5 Kicker
                2015 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
                1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
                1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
                1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
                69 Outboards: 1919-2019, representing 11 manufacturers
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

Last boat I sold on CL there were 3 people who emailed about it the first week. First guy came out and bought it. Your mileage may vary, but if you put together a decent ad with a firm price and a statement that all purchases are in person then you can eliminate most of the idiots.

And any broker around here is just a middle man who is going to be bringing people to where your boat is (garage) - so what is the benefit?
                  2012 Malibu VTX 5.7 Monsoon 350
                  2018 Ram CC 5.7 Hemi

www.oldjeep.com

Comment

Incorrect assumption on my financial position. Boating season is short. Would you rather dicker with every Tom, Dick, and Harry about price while the boating season slips away OR be out on the water and let someone else deal with that hassle?

To me, its again a no brainer - out on the water enjoying myself.

Its why I traded mine in instead of listing it. Easy sale, marina even loaned me a dealer plate so I didn't have to re-register my trailer. No hassle. No dickering on price. No lining up a water test. No my wife found out and I need a refund. No I want to buy it will you do payments? Nada. In this day an age, it was worth the little hit I took in value.
                    Like the earlier post about everyone's differing opinion on condition, I suspect there are quite a few differing opinions on what a "little hit" is. $500 would be too much for me to give away to do it your way. I suspect you're considering a few thousand to be a "little hit".
                    1994 Seaswirl Sypder 188 5.0 Cobra EFI

Comment

My current boat as I mentioned I bought on CL. It is a popular model for the size of the lakes here in MN and not many come up for sale. There wre so many interested people in the boat that he ended up taking appointments for the day he took it out of winter storage. There were 7 people in his cul de sac waiting to look at the boat but I had the first appointment.
                      2002 Chaparral 220 SSi
                      350 MAG MPI
                      Bravo 1

2011 Yamaha FX Sho

Comment

Originally posted by blackburb View Post

Like the earlier post about everyone's differing opinion on condition, I suspect there are quite a few differing opinions on what a "little hit" is. $500 would be too much for me to give away to do it your way. I suspect you're considering a few thousand to be a "little hit".
                        And the boat the OP is talking about selling is in the 45-60K range depending on what it actually is. A 6-10% broker fee runs into some real money.
                        2012 Malibu VTX 5.7 Monsoon 350
                        2018 Ram CC 5.7 Hemi

www.oldjeep.com

Comment

Craigslist would be a good start although I think selling there would be a hit or miss since some of the buyers are wary of items in Craiglist for its reputation when it comes to their perspective of the items' condition.

Comment

Working...
                          X