boat hours?

tandrle

Cadet
Found a boat really nice per th epics I have not looked in person yet. It is a 2003 Cobalt 226 with a 5.7 volvo in it. The engine has 1400 hours on it. Is that high? Is that a say away ? I really do not know how many hours are too many? It does mean the boat has been used and the cylinders are not rusted and pitted. What are your thoughts? They are asking above average retail for it?

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I wouldn't let let the hours alone steer me away - think there are so many other considerations that would decide it

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
salt or fresh it might make a difference as to what needs to be addressed such as manifolds and risers and so on, maintenance records if available would be a great place to start

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would rather buy a boat that was used like its supposed to vs a boat that sat.

sitting boats go to s#!t

average use is 50-100 hours per year. so that would be right for a 14 year old boat that is used.

they could have also simply left the key on over a weekend or so. (I left the key on in a prior boat for 2 weeks once)

Old Ironmaker

Captain
A low mileage car that was raced at the track every weekend isn't something you would want buy. Same goes for buying from a company like Hertz rent a car. Same for boats, more on the condition of used boats than hours. Real Estate is location, location. Used boats is condition, condition.

tandrle

Cadet
salt or fresh it might make a difference as to what needs to be addressed such as manifolds and risers and so on, maintenance records if available would be a great place to start

It is all Fresh water here in the mid west. The boat interior is immaculate from what I can tell.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Compression test is a good idea, at least a negotiating point. Maybe you found a creampuff, let us know what it looks like, besides running well, all solid no rot? location and time of year for sale has effect on price

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Not sure why you would say anything about the condition of the cylinders :noidea: Have you seen the cylinders? A compression test and leak test can be a better indication.

1400 hours would be high (about 90 - 100 hours per year). So the boat has seen some use.

The price should be below average market value, based on the hours. If you buy, you would want to figure in some engine work at some point, although a well maintained engine can outlast the boat itself.

Pretty much a judgement call that you will have to make.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
One advantage of stern drives is that you can repower it fairly cheaply compared to an outboard (reman 5.7 long blocks are in the $2000 to $3000 range). If the rest of the boat is in great condition, I wouldn't let the engine hours scare you.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Hour meters are Great to keep track of maintenance,....

They have little to no value at knowin' the condition of the motor,....
That's what compression tests are for,.....

jkust

Rear Admiral
In my state of Minnesota, low hours but use every summer is the norm. The upholstery and accessories will have far more than the 1400 hours the engine on clock is noting. There is just no way I'd buy that boat because the exact same Cobalt is available with 200 hours and perfect shape for similar money. I live on a large lake in the summer and I think we maybe get 30 hours of actual run time any given summer. The rest is floating or at the sandbar but mostly on the waverunners.

tandrle

Cadet
Wish I could find one around here. I have bee looking for a Chap or a Cobalt. I have an eye on a 220 chaparral 04 but it has the 5.0 in it, just not sure if that engine will be enough?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My last boat was a 1984 and it had 1450 hours on a 3.0 liter 4-banger. The engine had perfect compression and it ran like new. The boat was pristine and was meticulously cared for.

If the cosmetics of the boat are excellent, chances are the PO took good care of it. With those hours you should have a negotiating point to get the price down, but I wouldn't shy away from it. A newer 200 hour boat with the same cosmetics may or may not have seen as much care.