Purchasing first boat

billkal

Cadet
I want to buy my first used boat and am looking at a sharp Chapparel 2006 , but with Vovlo Penta 5.6 XDP drive, I did little research but the consensus is to stay away from XDP drive, is that still the case ? what do you guys think, what engine-drive combo should I be looking for because I see a lot of boats equipped with Volvo pentas
btw I am looking at used cruiser between 2003-2007 25-27'
thanks for helping a newbie

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: to iBoats . . .

Being a newbie in boat ownership is difficult enough, so why add fuel to that fire? :noidea:

I don't think folks will 'recommend' you get a boat with the XDP drive. If you happen to be stuck with one, you make the best of it, but don't go looking for trouble.

Volvo Penta is fine, just not the composite drive. Mercruiser is going to be a better choice IMO, because the parts and service are more readily available. Volvo-Penta parts seem to be insanely expensive.

BTW - the engines themselves are supplied by GM for both Mercruiser and V-P, with a few exceptions in the recent years (which is more recent than your criteria)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
buy a drive based on your local support. if you have a local VP dealer but not a Mercruiser dealer. nothing wrong with VP drives.... except the XDP drive.

get a survey done on what ever boat you get.

check the stickies at the top of the forum for boat buying tips.