1989 campion 250 hiada with a 351 windsor (5000lbs )

I was wondering how much more or less fuel this boat wood use than my 150gt johnson 1991 seaswirl (1800 lbs) any one familiar with this motor and boat ?

i am really just trying to find out how much fuel the 1989 campion 250 hiada wood use, the 150gt sucks huge probably a gallon or more a mile

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... At trollin' speeds, the I/O will probably do much better,....

At Wot, they'll probably be comparable,....

Overall, it depends on the operator's righthand,......

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the 150 hp outboard will burn about 0.5 # of fuel per HP per hour
the ford V8 I/O will burn about 0.4# of fuel per HP per hour

agree with Bondo, at idle you will see comparable fuel burn rates.

however at WOT, your 150hp outboard is burning 75# of fuel in an hour where the 260hp I/O would be burning about 104# of fuel

if you want fuel economy in a boat, get one with sails.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
It’s a tough one this. Depends on how you use it. If you want to sail about at the speed you would on the wee boat...you’ll use so much more fuel.
The campion is a heavy made boat and a pretty deep hull. This has good and bad effects on fuel. Getting on the plane takes a bit of fuel but finding the cruising speed is key. It will sit well once up and the V8 will not be bothered much once there.
Also going along at slow displacement speeds at about 1000-1200 rpm will be fairly efficient on that hull with the bow planted in the water still. Anything in between will be bad on fuel. Anything over 3500 rpm will also be bad. All about realising it’s a different type of boat and will demand a different more laid back style of use.

Thank you all for your replies , i decided to keep my sea swirl with the 150 GT for a while longer. Gas prices are going up so i will watch to see what comes up for sale.