Bow Rise on Small Boat

rick_ca

Recruit
1[SUP]st[/SUP] post so if in wrong area can a Mod please move it thanks
Here is my situation I have a 14ft tinner (aluminum) fishing boat with a 2000 Yamaha 9.9 4stroke outboard me I weigh 250lbs so I think you can see where this is going LOL. Bow of boat rides high in the water no matter where I put the trim pin on the motor, I have moved the two deep cycle batteries to the front and also moved 5 gall gas can to front but still have bow raise. The boats bottom is flat and very stable and I’m just reading about “stingray Jr” that mount to the motor now not know anyone with these installed I’m wondering if they will help with my situation. Thanks in advance to any reply.

bobeast

Cadet
A delta fin will definitely help. I added one to the 9.9 on my rib and time to plane was noticeably shorter. It sounds like you are never getting on plane. If the fin doesn't solve it, you may need to consider upgrading to a more powerful engine.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Get a bigger engine or better still...a 2 stroke.
Presiming you’ve tried getting forward until she gets on plane ?

roffey

Commander
I have a 12 foot tin with a 9.9 on the back. I'm 225lb and it takes forever to plane.... I have to get as close to the middle of the boat as I can and still twist the throttle... its boat yoga .....stretch it out, way out...

southkogs

Staff member
I'm with Douglas - I bank in about 230, and we have a 14' V bottom with a 9.9. With me and the gas tank in the back, it planes fast enough but the bow will ride high the whole time; sometimes even porpoise. But if I put an extension on the handle and sit on the center bench - it planes out just right.

harringtondav

Commander
Weight distribution. Rig up a long gas can hose and put your can up front. Put your anchor, cooler and other gear up there too. If you Yammy is set to full trim down. Try placing some shims under the top of the transom clamp to trim it in further.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My 14' with a 12hp can only plane when the wind and current is right. No problem planing with 15hp.

Sometimes you need a bit more motor

tramsdell

Banned
You gotta ditch the slouchy 4 stroke. You need less weight in the stern and more grunt.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Iterating what others have said, it's weight distribution and is a common problem with tiller steering, including the boats I had over the years with it. Problem with moving things forward (except YOU) is that when you stop you may be bow heavy and if in a good chop, that may not be to your advantage.

Firewalling the throttle and then moving forward (till you get on plane and get back to the tiller) to effect the planeout is an effective solution for not only tiller rigs, but stern heavy, lower hp boats with the helm (steering/control station) forward, and it costs you nothing but ensuring that your engine friction device is adequately tight to keep the engine from turning to the side when you turn loose of the tiller handle and getting up and moving yourself forward.

I never ran a Whale's Tail nor any similar that attaches to the AntiVentilation plate on the engine (horiz plate just above the prop) but they are everywhere for various reasons and apparently work....the Physics of the mechanism says it will work.

Other thing is Smart Tabs, or not so smart fixed duty tabs that mount on the rear of the transom (vertical board upon which your engine mounts) whose purpose is to extend the planing surface back toward the power unit. Many reports on their effectiveness herein.

Tiller handle extension, either self crafted or purchased is a great idea but limits your maneuverability especially in tight situations.

Another solution is a helm mounted on the side of the hull to be operated while sitting on the center seat. Look up "Stick Steering" for a real simple, not too expensive solution.

Or you could add a helm mounted to the side of the boat and bottom and mount a steering wheel there and remote control.

Good luck.