Newbie - Looking for Advice for First Boat Purchase

Laces

Cadet
This is my first post and my first venture into boating.

I am looking to buy a used, $12k or less, boat for lake use only for a family of five. If there isn't enough interest, we will sell in a year or two. If there is interest, we may sell and upgrade once we know what we want.

My kids are teenagers and want to tube and, possibly, ski. I looked at a 4 cylinder, 3.0 liter motor but I'm afraid until that may not do much more than 'cruise'. I have looked at a 4.3 L, V6 and a 5.0 L V8. The hours have ranged from 100-800 hours and from a single owner to 3 owners.

Are there any brands that are good for this price range or brands to avoid. How about hours? Engine size? Age? I don't know what to ask other than what I have already mentioned but will provide whatever information I am missing.

Thanks!

harringtondav

Commander
At your price, which isn't bad, brands are meaningless. Condition is everything. Single owner, low hrs would be my first choice. But structural condition will make or break you. A used boat that has been stored covered and out of the rain is a fairly safe bet. Interior condition: Upholstery, carpet, sun fade, bilge cleanliness are good indicators of care and good storage. Detecting structural rot takes some savvy. Soft floors, fiberglass spider cracks on the transom are bad.

Sage advice is at this link: https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gen...eeding-help-buying-a-boat-a-buyer-s-checklist

As far as engine size, my opinion: 4.3 is great up to 18', maybe 19' if it is a Vortec. 5.0 21' max if you want much zip.

Laces

Cadet
Thank you. Many of the boats I have seen are on their 3rd owner, which is my main concern. They 'look' good but I'm more concerned about what I can't see. It's hard to believe what the owners say b/c they want to make a sale. I've looked at Sea Ray, Four Winns and, most recently, Tahoe (Tracker Marine). Knowing the brand isn't a real concern in my price range helps. I am looking for the boats that are stored covered, if I can find them. I appreciate the link as well.

alldodge

Staff member
This is my first post and my first venture into boating.

A well maintained 40 year old boat is better then a not so maintained 4 year old boat.
If you don't know how to inspect a boat for issues, try to find someone you does. There are many vendors doing boat inspections, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. Try to find one which offers some kind of guarantee or warranty. If unable to find that, find a friend which knows boats, but don't be to hard on him/her if they miss something

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
For watersports with teens, I wouldn’t be much interested in anything less than a 4.3L. Especially if they bring friends along.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Where you from? If things are still cold, frozen, you won't be able to tell if there is rot hidden within the ice. Such as a bad transom. Covers or not the wet wood still could have water in it.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I agree, at the price point your looking brand is pretty irrelevant. Determining the condition of a boat's internal structure is really tricky. I would suggest finding or hiring someone with some experience to help you look.
As for the engine, I wouldn't go smaller than a 4.3 for that many big people. Really, a V8 would be better. I had an '89 Bayliner with a 2.3L. It would barely get itself on plane with 6 people on board. My next boat was a 20' Larson with a 210 HP 5.7L V8. It had adequate power but nothing spectacular. Currently I have a 23' boat with 300 HP. It does well but is not over powered by any means. Buy all the HP you can afford. Don't think that somehow a smaller engine will save you fuel. It won't.

-JR-

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One of my co-workers had a v-6 and he pulled his teenagers all day on skies and tubes ,he said anything more like a v-8 would just eat up more fuel. I don't thing his boat was very long or heavy .If it was over 18 ft . v 8 would be the way to go.

Never buy a used boat unless you can take it for a test ride.
Never buy a used boat unless you can do a dry land inspection.

-JR-

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One of my co-workers had a v-6 and he pulled his teenagers all day on skies and tubes ,he said anything more like a v-8 would just eat up more fuel. I don't thing his boat was very long or heavy .If it was over 18 ft . v 8 would be the way to go.

Never buy a used boat unless you can take it for a test ride.
Never buy a used boat unless you can do a dry land inspection after a test ride.

Laces

Cadet
Thank you for all of your responses. You have given me plenty to digest and I'm grateful for your experience and willingness to help 'the new guy'. It looks like a 4.3L is the minimum and I will look for an inspector.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nothing ruins a boat faster than the wrong (too small) engine. I've never had too much power. There are lots of 19 foot open bow's around with a 5.0.

kpg7121

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Don't even think about buying a boat without a test run. If it's a sterndrive look in the bilge for signs of water intrusion which could indicate transom issues. Same for an OB. If the boat has been stored outside be on the lookout for deck issues. If you find a soft spot in the deck, walk away. If the boat has carpet & it's wet, that means it wasent covered well enough to keep out the elements. Buyer beware.

Boats live in the water, but that's what destroys them. And neglect.