Dual Battery System Recommendations

dschild

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 19' ski boat that I'll primarily use for fishing/crabbing. Currently has a single battery. I'd like to put in a secondary battery. I've already purchased the switch. My question is around battery types. I've read that one battery should be a high cracking battery for ignition and the other a standard deep cycle for running accessories. Wondering if someone can confirm that and offer additional advice or comments. Also in regards to charging, I read that I need to be mindful about having the switch on battery 1+2 while charging because I may risk overcharging a battery. is that correct?

Thank you

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Yup... a cranking battery for starting and and a deep cycle (aka "house") battery for all other accessories like radio, gps, vhf, chartplotter, fish finder,etc.

Yup...the cranking and house batteries will charge at different rates and there is a potential for overcharge.

One way to alleviate this is set the switch on #1 (normally the cranking battery) when you go out and set the switch to #2 when you come back in...

OR...install an ACR (Automatic Charge Relay) in the system. This will allow you to set-and-forget the whole charging procedure.

oldjeep

Admiral
Unless you are running a trolling motor, use 2 starting batteries. This is the factory setup in most dual battery ski/wake boat setups. It is not correct that you need to worry about charging in the Both setting, that is only true if you have a bad battery.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
You might look into the Blue Sea Add-A-Battery kit... it comes with an ACR and a special switch that frees you from worrying about leaving your switch in the BOTH setting and accidentally draining both batteries.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Starting batteries will not take the abuse of being used as a “house” battery.

Unless your motor had a high out alternator and /or you run long distances, I won’t worry about an ACR.

Most setups are lucky to keep a single starting battery charged under normal usage, let alone two batteries

sam am I

Commander
Also in regards to charging, I read that I need to be mindful about having the switch on battery 1+2 while charging because I may risk overcharging a battery. is that correct?

Correct, It isn't always best practice to charge battery's in parallel due to many factors, hence, many bass guys and the like that use 2,3,4 battery's created a need and POOF, eng's came up with the concept/inception of quad/triple/dual output on-board chargers.

Even if the battery's are identical, when paralleled, one/many battery/s can mask the needs of the other/s, not to mention they typically have to equalize/back charge(one discharges into the other if/when the alt/supply voltage sags/drops out at parallel time) when paralleled wasting power that might be needed.

Isolating each battery at charge time is a better method(see quad/triple/dual output on-board chargers)
and individually allows them to charge with their own needs/rates and can more accommodate individual variables that can dictate each batterys varying charge rate needs such as ambient temp of the batt, cell temps, dod, series resistance to name only a few.

So as far as charging while running, ACR's and the like always have to parallel battery's to charge the secondary/slave "house" battery and Perko battery switches parallel them as well in the "1+2" setting.

I personally prefer not to use either method above as some might and use a system that employs the same techniques that is essentially how the quad/triple/dual output on-board chargers are designed to and are working.......

I use what I deem a smarter charger that breaks each batt out individually as needed, doesn't require paralleling (but does only when all batts are topped off), doesn't allow back charging and of course, isolates them automatically when ig is off!!.......Used this now for 4'ish yrs and it works well for me and my needs as I run 3 batts (2 house, 1 engine) with a 40 amp alt.

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Parallel different sized batteries aren't really that bad...

The only way you can overcharge a battery in a vehicle is if the voltage regulator fails. Lead acid batteries charge with constant current/tapering voltage. And the voltage of 2 batteries in a parallel system has to match, no way around 'parallel'. (series batteries on the other hand can absolutely be overcharged like this though)

So with that said, you can mix and match different sizes, and technically even starting/deep cycle. What you do NOT want to do is mix chemistries. (flooded/VRLA and a gel cell for example)

dschild

Seaman Apprentice
Starting to wonder if it's worth it. I own a jumpstarter battery pack. Thoughts on this? Is a battery pack sufficient for a person that goes out every couple of weeks for a half day?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Or you could just get a second battery for non-starting applications, and put it on a charger between trips....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You are overthinking it. A starter / deep cycle combo is what is commonly recommended. Test each battery after each trip and charge as needed.

sam am I

Commander
Starting to wonder if it's worth it. I own a jumpstarter battery pack. Thoughts on this? Is a battery pack sufficient for a person that goes out every couple of weeks for a half day?

Adding a second battery is definitely worth it........Pick a method (Perko Batt Switch, ACR, Batt Management, etc, whatever) and just use it, there's isn't a wrong way per-se, there are just better and there are best ways for your purposes and the available resources, you get to choose.