Taking on water slowly

joeltjen10

Seaman
Hi All,

Last summer my boat would take on water very slowly. I'd pump every time I moved spots and there would be water there. I've checked for cracks and unsealed holes at the stern. The only place I'd think it would possibly take on water is the live well overflow which I changed methods on a couple of years ago. However, we've camped on the beach before and that is completely out of the water and I'm still taking on some water.

I've added a float switch to ensure that it pumps water whenever it's needed but that's not a long term solution.

Anyone else have ideas on where I'd even start to figure out where this leak is coming from?

Thanks!

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Everything passing through the hull is perfectly sealed and you still get water? What part if the boat was in the water when you were camping? Nice pics on the rebuild photo pages, any pics of the whole boat from outside, especially the stern?

briangcc

Commander
Aluminum boat yes? Did you check for leaking/loose rivets as part of your process?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
livewell plumbing, thru-hulls, any screws in the transom, etc.... they can all bring water into the boat.

joeltjen10

Seaman
I appreciate all of the responses.

It is an aluminum boat. No rivets though. It's 1990 Crestliner. I don't have an updated picture of the stern. When camping it was probably windshield and back still in the water.

I've gone through to check the connections of the live well and bilge pump hoses. I've checked around the drain plug. I've also gone around all of the screws to ensure they had waterproof sealant all the way around.

I'm doing another rebuild (2002 Crestliner Sportfish) so this boat is in a different storage unit right now. I'll see if I can get over there to take a picture of the stern.

I may just end up pulling all of the screws out and resealing everything to see if it helps.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
What engine? Pics of the transom (both sides) would be helpful. My bet is a tiny crack in a bilge pump hose routed incorrectly that is probably below the waterline if you beach the boat. But all guessing without pics.