Decision time - its spring

tandrle

Cadet
I am looking at 2 different boats for family fun

1. 2002 Chaparral 230 ssi Very clean less than 300 hours. Has the 350 Mag Brovo 1

2. 2004 Chaparral 220 ssi Extreemly clean less than 200 hours has a 305

I need to be able to pull Skier/tube/board will the 5.0 do that well? Is it just a matter of prop pitch if it can not. I do not need go go 50-60 my bassboat will do 75. Or is it worth going after the 350?

My other need is ease of driving for my wife I think bot of these will drive similar but without having them side by side it is hard to compare. The 230 is 23 ft the 220 is 22 feet long.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thank you

alldodge

Staff member
Skier/tube/board
2002 Chaparral 230 weight 4185 lbs, a 350 MPI is minimum and could use a B3 drive
2004 Chaparral 220 weight 3734 lbs, a 305 MPI is not enough motor

Find a 20 footer with a 250 would be better, or a 23 footer with a big block or 377 (6.2L)

tandrle

Cadet
Can't I move to a 4 blade or a lower pitch to get the results? I come from a Bassboat and when we want more hole shot and less top end we just re-pitch or move to a 4 or 5 blade. Can you help me understand why it is not enough power?

harringtondav

Commander
Recent posts, and my experience regarding performance issues with 22'+ boats with the 5.0L aren't good. Too much weight and hull drag for the engine. Lower pitch props (17") will get them on a plane but top end speed will be disappointing. A four blade prop may help - a little.

tandrle

Cadet
Top speed is not a huge concern, I don't intend to run 50 with my kids on board more like 25-30. My bassboat will do 75 when I need the speed :) the key here is something nice to pull a tube or skier ect.. and jump off the swim platform. Have you or anyone used a lower pitch on one of the 5.0's. I wish I had more experience with those but I come form an outboard line that is made to nearly fly - its a little different.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the 5.0 is a turd of a motor. Even fuel injected..... its not bad in a 19' boat, however would be a slug for your desired use in that heavy of a hull. while you could prop for the hole shot, you would be turning the motor at high RPM's for simple cruising

the 23' boat should have a big block or stroker like AD mentioned

tandrle

Cadet
so everything I have heard is a little concerning are you saying even on the 23 footer with the 350Mag bravo 1 it will be sluggish?

tpenfield

Staff member
I pick the 2002 Chaparral 230 ssi w/ 350 MPI and Bravo 1 outdrive.

If you need a little more bite from the prop to pull out wake boarders & skiers, then go with a 4 blade Revolution prop at a slightly reduced pitch that what is currently there. Bravo 1's often come with the Mirage props.

No need to worry about going 60 mph with either boat. . . you won't :)

alldodge

Staff member
Chaparral makes a nice boat, and while not as heavy as some, its still heavy. You can lower the pitch and get the whole shot which you will need for use mentioned above

Looks like I posted 250 above when I meant 350

tandrle

Cadet
Thanks for all the feedback, the 220 is my favorite boat from a looks style condition perspective, not that the yellow and black one is bad at all. I am just drawn to red. It is too bad it has the 5.0 in it from what I am hearing I will not be happy with it. even if I dont want to go 45 or 50. (will save the 75 for the Ranger)

tandrle

Cadet
Feedback I got from the owner of the Chaparral 220 with the 5.0 any thoughts here?

My sons weigh 240 plus pounds and I pull them right up on the wake board with several people in the boat also
with out burning as much fuel !!! Tubing is no problem at all

alldodge

Staff member
Feedback I got from the owner

Not saying the owner is lying, but he is trying to sell the boat. Ask for a test ride and bring along several folks. Have it loaded the way you would use it and see if it does perform. Go to WOT to see if it will reach 5000 rpm, what the cruise rpm is

tandrle

Cadet
well that is harder than one thinks,, it is early season and some flooding around plus it is about a 3 hour drive and the other is a 4.5 hour drive in a different direction.

alldodge

Staff member
Its your money but I would never buy a used car or boat without a test drive, just to many things involved.

tandrle

Cadet
I do intend to test drive it is getting 5-10 people there that is the issue and the water is too cold to pull a tube

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I drove 6 hours once to look at a boat. still had a test run. then I made the marina re-winterize as I had to drive the 6 hours back to Wisconsin (and it was march)

buying a boat without a sea trial is an iffy proposition.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Doesn’t take a whole lot of plwer to get even a 240 lb. adult up on a wakeboard. If he was on a slalom ski doing a deep water start that’s a different story. As a seller I’d never let a potential buyer load up my boat with a bunch of people and do water sports. Not gonna happen. So That may not be an option although he should let you test drive it once the price has been negotiated and you have the money in hand ready to give to him dependent on the water test.

Not a big fan of the 5.0 myself but find it hard to believe that an MPI roller motor is gonna be a dog in a 20’ OB to the point that your unhappy wih it. Remember that what’s enough power is completely subjective. Personally I think the performance of that boat would be completely acceptable with that motor/drive. Throw a “High Five”’ SS prop on that Alpha and it will pull stumps coming out of the hole.

I’d drive it and find out for yourself if it’s got enough grunt. It’s your money and possibly your boat! Good luck! The hunt is often the best part of boat ownership.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
... I pull them right up on the wake board with several people in the boat also
with out burning as much fuel !!! Tubing is no problem at all

Owner is trying to sell a boat... Fuel burn for a given load has very little to do with engine. Moving a boat of a certain weight at a certain speed requires X horses. Producing those X horses takes a certain amount of fuel, regardless of engine size. (now if you crack the throttle all the way, bigger engine = bigger fuel bill, but you aren't doing that while pulling a wakeboarder)