Question for Sacrificial Annode Pro

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
It may be just my experience however the past few years I have purchased "Zincs" online I have recieved an annode made of Aluminum.I know that the least noble metal for sacrifice is magnesium,zinc,and then aluminum in that order..All including aluminum are going to be less noble than the alum alloy and outdrive or bellhousing/lift cylinders are made of.Waffle zinc for under an outdrive housing and skeg are the ones that seem to be being replaced by aluminum.Curious if anyone has any actual experience with using aluminum in place of zinc?? Charlie

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It may be just my experience however the past few years I have purchased "Zincs" online I have recieved an annode made of Aluminum.I know that the least noble metal for sacrifice is magnesium,zinc,and then aluminum in that order..All including aluminum are going to be less noble than the alum alloy and outdrive or bellhousing/lift cylinders are made of.Waffle zinc for under an outdrive housing and skeg are the ones that seem to be being replaced by aluminum.Curious if anyone has any actual experience with using aluminum in place of zinc?? Charlie
I switched to an aluminum anodes 4-5 years ago with good results in brackish water.

“Aluminum” anodes are alloyed to provide better protection than zinc in fresh and brackish water.

https://www.boatzincs.com/hull_bolt-on-aluminum.html

Last edited:

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you’re boating in fresh water, use magnesium or aluminum. If you’re boating in both fresh and salt water, use aluminum. If you’re boating in salt water, use zinc or aluminum. Do not use zinc in fresh. Do not use magnesium in salt.

tpenfield

Staff member
Aluminum is actually recommended for salt water boating. As you mentioned it is less noble than the aluminum in the running gear, but lasts longer than regular Zinc.

I use aluminum anodes all the time.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Aluminum is actually recommended for salt water boating. As you mentioned it is less noble than the aluminum in the running gear, but lasts longer than regular Zinc.

I use aluminum anodes all the time.

I have always felt better about seeing the zincs eaten up which means they are doing their job.Not sure how I would feel about using Aluminum which would probably be eaten up less

tpenfield

Staff member
I have always felt better about seeing the zincs eaten up which means they are doing their job.Not sure how I would feel about using Aluminum which would probably be eaten up less

A lot depends on the waters that you frequent. The aluminum is more than 50% depleted after a season (4 months) in my local waters. I'd hate to have zincs nearly depleted and have to replace them mid-season.

The same visible depletion amount of the difference anode types, is not the same amount of protection.