Replace lounge seat with a "counter"

CJK440

Seaman
I own a 96 18' Rinker bowrider. It has the traditional old school layout with the back to back lounge seats on both sides, a seat on either side of the doghouse and of course the bow. USCG capacity 8 persons, 95% of the time there is only 4.

A year ago we got a Black Lab who is now 95lbs and loves to go boating (more appropriately, swimming). The problem is he is big and does not fare well in the sun for long times so often he tries to lay under the front consoles, which doesn't provide much shade. We hate the bimini.

Since on a typical day of boating, the forward portion of the port seat and all the leg room gets filled with a cooler, bag of towels and another bag of snacks etc. my wife wondered what it would take to pull the seat and install a flat "counter or deck", a couple feet off the boats deck. After pondering what I initially thought was a wacky idea, the more it made sense. I'd make it big enough for the dog to lay under and we can store all our other stuff on top.

It would be great if I could retain the rear facing portion of the lounge seat somehow and have the table run from somewhere near the seat back right up to the port dash. The plus would be giving up only one seat that almost never gets used, the down side is no way to move to the port side to catch a pier or a line unless I went to the bow or transom.

Any thoughts on what I am considering? Any other ideas short of a larger boat?

southkogs

Staff member
Sounds doable.

Most of the time those lounge seats are built on a box base. In one of my boats, they actually just lifted out of the boat (haven't tried it on the Bayliner). I would think you can build something that interacts with that base, cover it with vinyl and make it strong enough to hold you (you stand on your doghouse occasionally, right?) without getting crazy. Weight wise, I would think you're just making a trade - maybe even a little lighter. Most of those loungers connected at the top with a piano hinge type of gig. Shouldn't be hard to recreate that same kind of connection.

You'd lose the ability to lay the lounger out on the port side, but maybe you never use that. We don't.