Advice on buying 19' Bowrider

crash-proof

Cadet
Hello, this is my 1st post here.
(though I had a profile somehow, perhaps from when I owned my previous boat 15 years ago!)

I'm in the pursuit of a new boat. Here's my specs:

- 19ft / 20ft
- Boat+Tow = 3,500lb (limited by vehicle)
- Bowrider prefered but possibly deckboat
- 4 pax most of the time, 7 pax occasionally (2 couples + 3 kids)
- 3hr-4hr rides most of the time, occasional all day rides (when traveling)
- No preference for inboard/outboard - I'd like to hear opinions on this.
- Price range $30k-$35k
- Live in Fort Lauderdale, will be riding in canals / bays. No interest in ocean riding.

Many lives ago (before kids, lol) I owned a cute little Bayliner 160 with a 50hp Merc and it was the perfect boat for my wife and I (plus other couple). It seems Bayliner is still on the bottom end of boat manufacturers, as it used to be back in early 2,000s when I bought mine. But I'm open to understanding more about other brands, and compelling reasons why I need to get brand A over brand B. I've compiled all the offerings from the following brands so far: Chapparal, Regal, Glastron, Bayliner, Tahoe, Four Winns, and Crownline (I know there's more out there with 19 footers)

Thanks in advance!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
unless you buy new, brand means nothing. its all about condition on used boats however with your budget you can look at newer boats.

doubt you will get a 19' boat and trailer under the 3500# limit unless you look aluminum boat. most 19' fiberglass boats are in the 3000# range dry, then you need to add the 1250# trailer under them, and of course fuel, gear, etc.

a single axle trailer will be in the #1000 range and a 19' bayliner is 2400# dry. as soon as you ad fuel your over your tow limit.

crash-proof

Cadet
Yes the plan is to buy new, not used.

So let me present this another way - assuming I've got all the boxes that I need checked and have an array of brands in front of me that satisfy all the requirements...I can pick any brand and there's no difference?

As to the weight concern, that might be my biggest limiting factor. I did see quite a few options in the 2,500lb bracket but most are over that.

tpenfield

Staff member
There is not going to be much difference in the brands that meet your spec’s. It will be more of what suits you.

if you could go to 5,000 lb towing it would open up more possibilities.

briangcc

Commander
I can tell you right now that the Chap 19H2O will be over your tow limit. Scott mentioned it - you gotta factor in the trailer too!

With your weight restriction you are looking at Aluminum unless you find a Stingray. And that Stingray is going to be mighty close to your tow limit too. It'll beat you to death in light chop due to its light hull weight.

As for brands... there sure is heck is a difference. And I'd argue with you ranking Bayliner at the bottom. By no means is it top of the lines but they have changed a lot. I'd put anything that you can buy at the big box outdoor stores - ie the one with the big old bass as a logo - as bottom tier. They are pitz...to the point where you give my admiral 5 minutes and she can pick it apart.

Best advice...up your tow limit as it'll open a lot more choices to you.

crash-proof

Cadet
Man that really sucks. We're going 3-ways on a partnership and one of the partners JUST downsized from a Buick Enclave (5,000lb) to a Volvo Xc60 with only 3,500lb. I've got an Atlas (5,000lb) and the other guy a Grand Cherokee.

briangcc

Commander
Let's put it this way...My 2017 Chap is advertised at 2600lbs dry with engine. Figure 30gal gas at I believe 6lbs per gallon so an extra 180lbs right off the bat. 2780 now. According to Interstate their deep cycle batteries are 46-60lbs each. I have (2) on my boat so figure another 120lbs.....total so far is 2900lbs. That's not including anchors, life jackets, ropes, paddles, fishing gear or any other things needed for a day out on the water...figure another 200lbs of junk (trust me - you'll collect it). 3100lbs without a trailer.

See how it all adds up?

Not trying to be rude but a lot of people look at the published dry weight and don't add in the other stuff.

Personally I figure I'm pushing 4100-4200lbs towed when loaded for a week's vacation with my family. My 4Runner is 5k towing. I know its back there but it isn't unsafe.

You don't need a full sized pickup for this load but you do need a capable SUV with a min 5k towing.

crash-proof

Cadet
Let's put it this way...My 2017 Chap is advertised at 2600lbs dry with engine. Figure 30gal gas at I believe 6lbs per gallon so an extra 180lbs right off the bat. 2780 now. According to Interstate their deep cycle batteries are 46-60lbs each. I have (2) on my boat so figure another 120lbs.....total so far is 2900lbs. That's not including anchors, life jackets, ropes, paddles, fishing gear or any other things needed for a day out on the water...figure another 200lbs of junk (trust me - you'll collect it). 3100lbs without a trailer.

See how it all adds up?

Not trying to be rude but a lot of people look at the published dry weight and don't add in the other stuff.

Personally I figure I'm pushing 4100-4200lbs towed when loaded for a week's vacation with my family. My 4Runner is 5k towing. I know its back there but it isn't unsafe.

You don't need a full sized pickup for this load but you do need a capable SUV with a min 5k towing.

Not rude at all, all the replies have been very informative and eye-opening for me. Short of pulling a dinghy, looks like we'll be out of this race I guess, unless we can sort of out the towing issue.

I'm going to see if the partner with the small SUV might entertain the idea of getting an old pickup or SUV with 5k capacity, at least to tow the boat locally. Lots of choices on autotrader under $5,000 (and all of them pandora's boxes as far as repair / maintenance, lol)

tpenfield

Staff member
You mentioned a 3-way ownership arrangement :noidea:

That in itself would be interesting. Have you done joint ownership before?

briangcc

Commander
Not rude at all, all the replies have been very informative and eye-opening for me. Short of pulling a dinghy, looks like we'll be out of this race I guess, unless we can sort of out the towing issue.

I'm going to see if the partner with the small SUV might entertain the idea of getting an old pickup or SUV with 5k capacity, at least to tow the boat locally. Lots of choices on autotrader under $5,000 (and all of them pandora's boxes as far as repair / maintenance, lol)

What I can think of to help you in your quest is to look into docking it somewhere. You will more than likely pay through the nose for it BUT you won't have to worry about towing. It *might* be an option depending on usage and locale.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
You mentioned a 3-way ownership arrangement :noidea:

That in itself would be interesting. Have you done joint ownership before?

I was thinking the same... NEVER do a multi-way ownership of a boat with anyone you want to remain friends with. It isn't worth it. Find a boat 1/3rd of the price and buy it yourself, even it means getting substantially less boat. There is zero chance I'd own a boat in a private partnership.

Maybe you have a group of people who this has worked out for, but be very, very careful. If all three don't have previous boat ownership experience, it is going to be even worse. Boats require a lot of work, and when it comes time to do that, who is responsible? Hours spent cleaning, maintenance, upkeep, etc... Not to mention the repair issues, who dinged up the prop, who gets to pay to repair it? How bent is 'bent'? It rained on my weekend to use the boat so I want another weekend, etc... Yeah not going to happen!

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If the tow weight is really the deciding factor, you can also think about trading vehicles for the day. I mean if you're sharing the boat 3 ways, what's the big deal if you share the tow vehicle? Not the ideal situation, but at least you can get the boat to meet your specs. Plus the XC60 looks like a nice SUV to drive.
Hey just throwing another idea into the pot.

harringtondav

Commander
I've been shopping for a 20' BR. I agree with all above comments. 18' seems to me the min length fiberglass boat anyone manufactures. SD is right at your weight limit - dry. You could spec an aluminum trailer. I know Shoreland'r makes them. This will save you a few hundred pounds, but will cost more.

Ditto on the shared ownership. Who gets which weekend can stress relationships. Care and maintenance can be the real sore spot. My admiral's large family shares a boat. The poor thing looks like it's been through a battle. New out drive, new short block. No, or less skin in the game results in neglect.

Outboards require less care and maintenance than and I/O, a wash or a hundred pounds less weight. But I've found equal HP several thousand more than an I/O.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Man that really sucks. We're going 3-ways on a partnership and one of the partners JUST downsized from a Buick Enclave (5,000lb) to a Volvo Xc60 with only 3,500lb. I've got an Atlas (5,000lb) and the other guy a Grand Cherokee.

I suggest you guys buy a boat rent program like Freedom Boat, etc. no need for towing, and it wont kill your friendship like co-ownership would.

crash-proof

Cadet
To the member that suggested having it docked - no way. Having owned a trailerable boat I would never want to be confined to riding from one spot always, that would get real old fast!

I appreciate all the concern about the partnership aspect, this is not a decision hatched in the last minute but something we've been discussing over past year, and we're all close to being in the right place for it to happen. But it's still on paper and no one's committed. We have outlined the terms that we're all comfortable with (covers all the points above and many more). All of us are previous owners, btw.

briangcc

Commander
That would have been little old me.

And I would suggest you have the Jeep owner verify the tow rating. From what I looked up online the Grand Cherokee w/o the tow package is only 3500lbs. If that owner didn't spring for that package you suddenly became the only tow vehicle and that's going to grow old really quick.

My advice...look at aluminum or shrink your boat size to get everyone back to towing. Otherwise the others will be forced to include a tow vehicle purchase along with the idea of buying into a boat share. Vehicle repairs from exceeding the tow capacity aren't cheap and its unwise to tow over limit.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi

i have an 18ft bowrider. Although it’s perhaps heavier than any other I know of that size...the boat weighs on its trailer it’s over 4000lbs dry. That’s with no fuel or gear.
Another thing i would mention is that although mine is rated for 7 (or even 8)...by god it would be tight for elbow room and moving would be impossible. 4/5 is managing but only just.

If you want a lightweight you suffer on build quality and engine power. Likely you’ll need a cheaper brand like a bayliner or maxum. Compromise is that smaller engine.

Have to say...my choice of cars is usually dictated by my boats, haha.