Trying to find touch up paint or something to cover over silicone:

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had a mud motor on my boat then switched back over to regular outboard in turn leaving holes that I had to silicone up . I am looking for some type of touch up paint or something to make the area look better. Any help would be great, picture attached will show the areas I am trying to blend in/cover up and paint.

Attachments

• photo310038.jpg
    photo310038.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Good luck finding any type paint that will cover over silicone and say for any length of time. The better idea to seal old engine holes in a transom is to drill them out a little larger then the original size so you have clean wood showing. The mix up some polyester resin and fiberglass cuttings and fill those holes. Once cured, fair them in and then most any paint can be used. JMHO

jbcurt00

Staff member
GMs right @ paint sticking to sillycone...

duckman06 6 Is it an aluminum or fiberglass boat?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You used silicone on a boat?

:eek:

Dig it out and use a product designed for a marine environment, normally if I have to plug holes in a good transom, I make wood plugs that will fit the hole and then I use 5200 overtop of them. Normally you will be able to find a hardwood dowel that can be made to fit those holes, then you have more options for covering them and blending.

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks guys! I agree with you all but didn’t know if there was maybe a product out there that I wasn’t aware of. I just going to let it be for the time then take your advice about adding the wood into the holes and seal it off nice and near.

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well guys this is what I ended up doing. Got all the silicone out and aluminum welded it on both sides all the holes I could. Then sanded it all down and painted with darker green cause not even the matching of the paint to the boat exact looked right so I used darker to make it look like it’s a transom design. So what do you guys think of the work? Remember I am not a professional painter or aluminum weld so I did the best I could.

Thanks for all all the feedback

Attachments

• photo310584.jpg
    photo310584.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • photo310585.jpg
    photo310585.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
From 506.3 miles away, give or take. it looks fine to me. Better than any silicone patch.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Looks a lot better than a silly putty patch does, most people won't even notice it.

:thumb: